PDA

View Full Version : H&k

neomedic
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Is it possible to get a H&K36 in california???

And does anyone know if the H&K 416 will be available to civilian? At lease its uppers with a much more reliable gas system??? I saw the tests it went through and I think it will fire no matter what its been through!!!

Thanks all

Addax
02-21-2007, 11:25 PM
You could possibly make a fixed mag G36, but the only way you could load it is to diassemble the rifle...

Also, the G36 has a folding stock which needs to be fixed into place..

Best thing to do is get a SL8, fill in the thumbhole and have the SL8 converted to accept AR15 mags..

The SL8 is the civi version of the G36.

I have been reading how HK is not going to make the 416/417 models available to the civi market, but then I read on some posts on the net that some folks already have some in their hands?

I would like to get one of these for my collection too.

brando
02-22-2007, 9:13 AM
Civilian demand doesn't mean a thing to HK, otherwise we'd see 416 uppers available. I'll believe it when I see it, until then just assume it'll never happen.

Technical Ted
02-22-2007, 9:17 AM
Civilian demand doesn't mean a thing to HK, otherwise we'd see 416 uppers available. I'll believe it when I see it, until then just assume it'll never happen.A couple of years ago, at least 100 HK 416 conversion uppers were sold to non-LE buyers by dealers who were supposed to sell them to LE only or use them as demos. HK got wind of this and orchestrated a recall of all the 416's.

xenophobe
02-22-2007, 2:32 PM
I thought the number of HK 416 uppers was less than 3 dozen. HK did a pretty good job of scaring people who had them.

As for them actually being available to civilians, 1) they don't care, 2) it would require domestic production of them.

neomedic
02-22-2007, 2:34 PM
so I guess we are never getting one huh....that's too bad
that would of solved all my concerns

all the accessories out there would fit and ZERO reliability issues = one happy camper!! :D

Technical Ted
02-22-2007, 2:50 PM
I thought the number of HK 416 uppers was less than 3 dozen. HK did a pretty good job of scaring people who had them. Could have been three dozen out of 100 that made it on shore. Don't rightly remember since it was awhile back--some time before OLL's surfaced in late 2005 at least. I was quite happy with my reg'd gas impingement AW's at the time.

AxonGap
02-22-2007, 3:02 PM
Whatever happened to the XM8? Was it ever considered by the Army?

Technical Ted
02-22-2007, 3:04 PM
Whatever happened to the XM8? Was it ever considered by the Army?
Considered, evaluated and then the project was suspended.

AxonGap
02-22-2007, 3:08 PM
Considered, evaluated and then the project was suspended.

Any reason why? It was touted to be such a wonder rifle.

virulosity
02-22-2007, 3:38 PM
I thought the XM8 was FNH not HK?

Technical Ted
02-22-2007, 3:42 PM
I thought the XM8 was FNH not HK?
XM8 is HK. SCAR is FN.

xenophobe
02-22-2007, 3:45 PM
The XM8 was cancelled as a project by the USG, shelved by HK, but I seem to remember hearing that it was actually taken over as a project by some aerospace company, like Northrop... I forget the specifics.

Technical Ted
02-22-2007, 3:46 PM
Any reason why? It was touted to be such a wonder rifle.
Army/vendor politics. The Army is reevaluating the requirements and reorganizng the program to include other vendors and branches.

brando
02-22-2007, 4:21 PM
In the meantime, the Leitner-Wise uppers are available, and while not the same as the HK direct impingement system, they perform similarly.

50 Freak
02-22-2007, 4:38 PM
HK gives a rats butt about the civilian rifle market.

They are too interested in selling their high price POS's to the military only.

xenophobe
02-22-2007, 4:42 PM
In the meantime, the Leitner-Wise uppers are available, and while not the same as the HK direct impingement system, they perform similarly.

Having seen both systems torn down, I actually prefer the LW piston system.

Just because it's marked HK, people will drool over just the name. If HK did a run of Bon Bons and HK marked teacups, people would buy them up too. lol

PIRATE14
02-22-2007, 4:53 PM
Just get a POF rifle and you'll be happy........:D

50 Freak
02-22-2007, 5:14 PM
Just because it's marked HK, people will drool over just the name. If HK did a run of Bon Bons and HK marked teacups, people would buy them up too. lol

Ditto...The HK company makes good weapons, don't get me wrong, but they are not "revolutionary" as some of the other designs out there. Their big sellers are still based on a design from 30 years ago.

EricCartmann
02-22-2007, 5:53 PM
Got this from Arfcom I thought it was a good post.

Originally Posted By conndcj:
Ah, OK, this has gotten a wee bit off center but my thoughts as they are on the HK416 subject. But before any of that, one thing about FutureWeapons. It's a TV show and a pretty good one. Shows of ANY sort about our hobby (I will assume the guns are most peoples' hobby on this board) are few and far between. Yeah, he a bit dramatic but bottom line for me is that he served and served well in one of the most HSLD units in the world. He has a LOT of capital in the bank in my book. Good for him.

Anyhooooo, on to the HK416. I would venture to say that I have as much triggertime behind a HK416 (the uppers only but that's the important part for our discussion) as any civilian in this country. I have two, a 10.5 and a 14.5. They are, TO ME, the most impressive uppers I have seen or fired. I also am an unapologetic, kool aid drinking Colt addict. I live two miles from the plant. I root for the home team, no doubt. I have 25 years of civilian shooting experience with the gas impingement system and it has always worked fine for my modest needs.

Side by side, it is tough to see the difference. I think the Colt (M4 configuration, Noveske barrel) is more accurate. Even a standard M4 SOCOM HB upper was a slight bit more accurate on the same day. The HK, for lack of a technical term, is smoother in its recoil impulse, at least to me.

Where I would think, and I say THINK, the HK would shine, is where taking apart your rifle after a shooting session is just not an option. After 500 rounds, the HK looks unfired internally, the M4 does not. Did my M4 jam? NO, it did not but you could see where this was going to end up when you started to get to multiple 1000 round counts. IMHO, the HK will run cleaner between cleaning sessions and will need "downtime" less than a M4. Downtime to me at the range with a cigar hanging out of my mouth is no big deal. In the middle of Afghanistan in the dark, miles from help, it might well be.

I have taken pretty good precautions on my primary M4 to keep it as reliable as possible. The BCG, trigger and all other internals are coated in nickle teflon. After 500 rounds, you can wipe off the gunk with your finger. The difference with the HKs is there is no gunk to wipe off at all.

For 99% of the people on this board like me, if you take care of your gas impingement rifle, it will take care of you. The benefits of the HK416 system will probably only be reaped by some true HSLD guys. There is a reason some special warfare guys are using this thing. Give them some credit will you. They're staking their lives on it. Armchair commandos are not.

I will be the last person on earth to defend HK's business practices. How they make money despite themselves is beyond me. But you are kidding yourself if you think for one second they do not know how to make weapons. Have they had some dogs? Yep, and so has everyone else in the business. Colt 2000 pistol anyone? But they can make the goods. This is the finest made upper I have ever seen and if they would ever be for sale in this country, the price is very much in line with any other high end upper you see here every day.

If you hate the company, fine. If you think the upper sucks, fine. I have never understood the concept and never will, that by saying my stuff is good, it automatically implies that whatever you have sucks. NO, it just means we have different ways of getting to the same place. Relax, you'll live longer.

The HK 416 is not a quantum leap ahead but I would posit that ANYTHING that still fires a kinetic energy cartridge (like for the past hundreds of years) is evolutionary, not revolutionary. To some here, get over it, it just a freaking piece of metal. If this keeps you up at night, get a life. And don't guess. Know your facts. If you haven't at least fired a 416 you are guessing. You can have opinion obviously, just make it an informed one.