PDA

View Full Version : Socal outdoor enthusiasts, preppers, survivalists, ect...

MB3
11-13-2011, 3:56 PM
Would like to set up a breakfast, lunch, dinner, bbq, motorcycle ride camping/shooting outing. I'm in the north county area of SD. I would really like to associate myself with like minded individuals. Would be nice to build some connections with people in the general area who are on the same page. Skills I bring to the table; ex-military, vast knowledge of multiple skills within the construction field, good mechanic skills (cars, trucks, bikes, motorcycles, outboards, guns), current NRA pistol instructor, been huntin' since I was a kid in the sticks, on the water and in the water. Diving I would say is my specialty when it comes to hunting skills, but Ive never had a problem puttn' food on the table when it comes to huntin' outside the water. Pm me or post on here if there's anybody interested in a San Diego muster of some kind as stated above.

hooyah!

thenodnarb
11-13-2011, 5:36 PM
Sounds fun. I've been wanting to put together a "survival retreat" with some friends for some time now. We would take a 3 day, 2 night trip into "the woods" with whatever gear you want to bring along, but it needs to be reasonable so its just whatever you can carry. There would be basically 2 rules: 1, you can only bring a 3 day ration emergency bar. 2, if you want to eat anything else, you need to trap it, catch it, find it or shoot it yourself. This might be birds(in season) squirrel, wild edibles, fish etc...

We would camp together and help each other, and hopefully have fun!

Good luck with your outing. I'm a little far from San Diego, so I don't think I'll be attending. Good luck!

georound1
11-13-2011, 6:37 PM
Hello! George here. I'm 41, married, no kids, big dog. I lived in San Diego for about 15 years. Now in Pasadena with a cabin in Lake Arrowhead. Was a hospital corpsman in the Navy (think medic). We have a lot of similar hobbies. Motorcycles, diving, shooting, etc. I'm up for some outdoor gathering type of thing. It's starting to get cold in the Arrowhead/Big Bear area, but it's a good time to off road and shoot. I'm a member of the Lake Arrowhead Fish and Game club shooting range and go most Sunday mornings.

Let me know what starts to get planned.
I'm not so keen on a live off the land thing...

Panchira!
11-13-2011, 6:56 PM
I too would like to go along. I'm a good mechanic and general fixer of broken items. I don't ride motorcycles but I can stick on nice paved roads (low car- miata). I don't have much experience with survival stuff but I want to learn. What area or location were you thinking of?

thenodnarb
11-13-2011, 8:03 PM
If your outing is in the lake arrowhead/big bear area, i'd be down for an outing.

jmsenk
11-13-2011, 8:47 PM
Might be something I'd be interested in. I'm in Newport Beach right now. Former Army, Airborne Infantry, NRA instructor (pistol, personal protection) with some basic outdoor experience (hiking, camping, kayaking) that needs to be brought out and used again. Let me know when and where and I'll see if School, Work, and the Girlfriend will allow me to get away for it.

covertcombatant
11-14-2011, 8:13 PM
My brother and I would both be up for an outing. We both work in the movie industry, mechanically inclined and can make Chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. I live in Lake Elsinore and he lives in Murrieta. I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 and he has an 03 Ford excursion. We both would love to learn from everyone and form a group of trusted friends that we could hang out with.

problemchild
11-14-2011, 9:29 PM
Be nice to make a desert run on a moonless weekend when you can see the stars. Maybe when the Leonids are around?

Do some night tactical long range shooting too? Say 500 yards.

HIG541
11-14-2011, 9:37 PM
keep me updated, i'd love to come. i can bring some medical skills and cooking skill (used to be a chef lol)

tozan
11-14-2011, 10:19 PM
I am not sure what I can contribute but, I am willing to share what little bit I know or assist others in teaching what they know.

As crazy as it sounds I was in the Army and Marines, vehicle maint in the Army. I was a member of an ANGLICO team and NBC training NCO for 4th ANGLICO in the Marine Corp. I did gas chamber training and set up tear gas trip wire devices in the field for training, the other guys hated me... lol

I would love to learn new stuff from you guys and share some of my skills. A few of mine that come to mind are rock climbing, rappelling, anchor building and skills that can be used for rescue work or covering rough or vertical terrain, setting up tyrolean traverse and zip lines.

Wilderness survival skills, food foraging off the land (in So Fla.) Wilderness first responder / first aid. Land navigation by GPS, map and compass or celestial bodies sun and stars. Environmental survival i.e. hot or cold climates, high altitude, mountains, snow, ice and water environments, travel on snow shoes, crampons and canoes.

Experience in back packing, fishing, hunting, automotive & motorcycle repair, field expedience repair of almost anything, CAD design and CNC programming and machinist and fabrication work. I worked for Reed Knight KAC in the 80's so I know about FA and silenced weapons we did a lot of ballistic testing, specialty weapon design and consulting work back then along with gun sales and gunsmith work.

DannyInSoCal
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't do crap - But I'll bring great scotch and cigars...

:43:

toddthedog
11-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Ive been wanting to do this for awhile. Im in temecula and I have a full size silverado 4X4. Im very mechanical with all vehicles. Bikes not so much. Im very good at fishing so i can bring that to the table. Im in for a weekend retreat

TurboChrisB
11-14-2011, 11:06 PM

I'll hang with you!

Sleighter
11-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Eagle Scout and assistant Scoutmaster here. Subbed for future camping opportunities.

cannon
11-15-2011, 7:31 AM

I'll bring you a really comfy lawn chair and the decanter and glasses.

LeatherNuts
11-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm very interested given the timing and what the final plan is.

Current military, electronics and communications backround, Marine Corps martial arts instructor, prior weapons retention/counter retention instructor, prior Steve Tarani certified Level II Karambit instructor. Not "school" trained, but I turn all my own wrenches on cages and sleds short of full engine overhaul, and I enjoy metal work and fabrication.

Nothing in there about survival because I wouldn't consider the hunting and camping trips I've been on to constitute "roughing it", but I have a real desire to learn. I live in the high desert area above Palm Springs.

Lethal_addict
11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Sure... Getting together with a bunch of gun running, alcahol induced, off roaders, that are crazed about Survival and sharing fish tales...sounds like fun to me... Im in!!!

MB3
11-15-2011, 5:23 PM
Sorry for the delay fellas... The last 48 hrs have been somewhat busy, to say the least. Good to see all the responses. Now its time for us to figure out an appropriate location/date. It would be ideal for the location to be the best of all worlds; shooting friendly, 4x4 friendly, fishing/hunting friendly, ect. But I guess the final consensus of everyone will ultimately decide (mob rule for this one). I'll start by throwing a couple locations out there that I feel would be suitable in one way or another:

Ocotillo Wells
Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead Area
Barstow BLM area
Indian FLats

I gotta couple "top secret/confidential" spots as well, but do to the scarcity of these type of locations, especially within SD county, I'll save those for another day and with whom relations are built...

Forgot to throw Palomar mountain out there. CNF all around and 2 "official" camping sites are open; fry creek, and the observatory. The Palomar state park area is closed... which is BS, but Im not about to get into a political/privileges v.s. rights discussion. Lets see what everyone thinks, feel free to chime in and I guess we'll go from there.

P.S.
Throw out there what dates work for ya'll...

wheels
11-15-2011, 9:22 PM
Interested as well - N. SD county when in CA...

covertcombatant
11-15-2011, 9:39 PM
I'm up for whenever.

Chant
11-15-2011, 9:52 PM
Interested in this outing as well. Former LE. Live around the LA county area.

HIG541
11-15-2011, 9:55 PM
I vote big bear area myself. I'll bring scotch and dip.

EL_NinO619
11-16-2011, 12:29 AM
I live in La Mesa, if something musters, PM me. I think it would be great to meet up with like minded people and have a little positive gang...

Sleighter
11-16-2011, 1:25 AM
I'm not sure I bring much to the table after seeing everyones experience, but if us younger guys can tag along, I'd be more inclined towards Big Bear.

YourHuckleberry
11-16-2011, 1:42 AM
I'm in. I'm a good listener and I got boomsticks and a cool dog.

jtyner
11-16-2011, 6:31 AM
I've got two little ones and it's hard for me to get away, but I'm definitely interested. If the timing and place work, I'll do my best to come out and meet everyone.

LeatherNuts
11-16-2011, 7:40 AM
As far as loction everything is 2-3 hours from me so I'm pretty indifferent. I do like the thought of the Big Bear Lake Arrowhead area based simply on aesthetics, but I'm unaware of the rules and laws surrounding that area so I wonder if the Barstow BLM area would fit our educational desires better.

Date selection I think needs to be addressed in relation to the area selected. I'm good with Ocotillo Wells or maybe even Barstow this time of year, but "roughing it" in Big Bear may prove to be a little more of an issue. Personal thoughts would be that this goes down no later than Dec 1st and no earlier Feb or March depending on this years weather patterns. I have no wife or kids and the girlfriend knows better, so truthfully I'm good with anytime or place as long as I have a week or so notice.

MB3
11-16-2011, 7:52 AM
Personally, I don't mind anybody bringing the wife and kids along. Obviously, for those who have dependents or significant others, they are a critical element when it comes to future planning. I absolutely promote including the family as much as possible, the 6P phrase comes to mind here. Keep in mind, my primary objective for this/these outing(s) is simple: to build relations with like minded individuals within the general area of SoCal. I cannot foresee the future. It gives one a bit of piece of mind knowing multiple individuals/families, whether in close proximity or not, that not only think alike, but have somewhat of a relationship/trust built. I cannot speak on behalf of others, but personally, excluding my military buddies whom I've pretty much lost contact with due to deployments and "the life", I see myself pretty much damn near close to being alone when it comes to the way I live my life and view things. If S were to HTF tomorrow, tonight, or today in any form, wouldn't you want an increased number of like minded "friendlies", regardless of how many miles apart? It goes without saying that the lesser the distance between the better, that is why i started this thread. To find people close. But we can't disregard the benefits of having friends on the same page in other areas as well. I look forward to this outing and meeting ya'll, let's have some fun n git r dun.

cannon
11-16-2011, 8:14 AM
I'd like to go. A vote for Barstow.

tozan
11-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Living in a beach city anywhere is a 2 + drive for me so I am not real picky...

Big bears in the winter could work with cold weather, snow, and high altitude survival topics and maybe some rope and rescue depending one where.

Barstow or any place to the East of the LA area can have a little milder weather this time of year and there are a lot of open places for camping, shooting and other topics again depending on where.

I think for a first meeting it would be better to have a comfortable place so people will be more likely to socialize and get to know each other. Good weather is also more conducive to learning most topics unless the topic is related to bad weather.

I have had some fun camping trips when the forecast was 60 mph wind gusts, ice storms, 14 inches of snow and wind chills at -8 degrees. Severe cold weather trips are best suited to small groups so it is easier to keep everyone safe and to minimize death and loss of body parts due to frostbite.

I most likely will be in depending on date and place...

MB3
11-17-2011, 6:45 AM
I actually prefer cold weather climate over the heat any day of the week. Being we're getting into the winter months I don't think heat is going to be a critical issue, even if we head out to the desert. Due to the amount of people wanting to attend this muster, I think our first "outing" should be somewhat of a laid back/camp out with an area close by where we can all lay some lead down range. A more of a get to know each other/shoot the *****, relax n grub type thing. We can get into some real survival training; mountaineering, emergency first aid, land nav., living off the land techniques, communications, ect. on our second, third, and fourth outings and so on. Being self employed has its perks, therefore my schedule is pretty flexible.

MB3
11-17-2011, 7:11 AM
Just throwing this out there, has anyone ever heard of or even been to fry creek campground. Seems like a decent spot. Multiple trails, varying elevations, nearby watering holes, and nate harrison grade is close by ( area to shoot).

wheels
11-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Just throwing this out there, has anyone ever heard of or even been to fry creek campground. Seems like a decent spot. Multiple trails, varying elevations, nearby watering holes, and nate harrison grade is close by ( area to shoot).

Online info says it closes Nov 30 for season - so not much time to get up there. Might not be a bad idea to hit Nate Harrison grade for a shoot then hit the mexican joint below for a meal/BS session - they have a bunch of tables outside.

MB3
11-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Online info says it closes Nov 30 for season - so not much time to get up there. Might not be a bad idea to hit Nate Harrison grade for a shoot then hit the mexican joint below for a meal/BS session - they have a bunch of tables outside.

I'm up for a local outing anytime. Its only about 30-45 min drive from where I'm at.

khaze
11-17-2011, 9:44 PM
Would be interested as well...

wheels
11-18-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm up for a local outing anytime. Its only about 30-45 min drive from where I'm at.

How about the weekend after thanksgiving anyone want to do shoot n salsa for San Diego OC Riverside I could do Fri Sat or Sun after thanksgiving (25-27)

QQQ
11-18-2011, 1:09 AM
sounds like a blast, but barstow... that's a drive. I'll be there in spirit.

thenodnarb
11-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe we should break it up into regions. San Diego folk can meet there, IE people can meet in Big Bear, LA people can mean somewhere in Angeles.

problemchild
11-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Are center-fire rifles legal to shoot around BB?

Maddog5150
11-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm always up for a riding and camping buddy! I live in south SD though most of my gear is in IE along with my quads. Hit me up if you want to go riding. I'm into the doom and gloom SHTF stuff but if you want a buddy to drink with and ride, hit me up

thenodnarb
11-18-2011, 8:07 PM

There are designated areas for shooting. I know a great place that is near a creek, has stream fishing, is OK for shooting, and has good 4x4 trails nearby.

Sleighter
11-18-2011, 10:36 PM

There are 2 sanctioned shouting ranges outside of big bear along forest road 3N03. I've shot at both and centefire is definitely allowed. they are 3 and 5 miles down an off road forest trail, but not very extreme. I've shot at both and have gps coordinates.

thenodnarb
11-18-2011, 11:27 PM
There are 2 sanctioned shouting ranges outside of big bear along forest road 3N03. I've shot at both and centefire is definitely allowed. they are 3 and 5 miles down an off road forest trail, but not very extreme. I've shot at both and have gps coordinates.

Are you talking about shooting ranges or designated shooting areas?
San Bernardino National Forest Recreational Shooting (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156888&navid=110250000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&ss=110512&position=Not%2520Yet%2520Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San%2520Bernardino%2520National%2520Forest%2 520-%2520Target%2520Shooting) page lists the rules for target shooting. I seem to either be mistaken regarding designated areas, or they don't mention it on this page. It seems shooting is generally aloud on low fire risk days. Somewhat restricted (time of day wise)on moderate risk days, and prohibited on high risk days. Fair enough.

MB3
11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
There are designated areas for shooting. I know a great place that is near a creek, has stream fishing, is OK for shooting, and has good 4x4 trails nearby.

Any areas to setup camp near this site...?

MB3
11-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Any potential areas near by these locations to setup camp as well?

DavidR310
11-20-2011, 9:00 PM
Sign me up!

I agree that our first one should be a easier, get-to know people encampment weekender.

My first vote is Barstow because I love & live in the desert.

However, Barstow would rate higher on the skill level for a prepper/survivalist. Skills like finding water, greenery & animals to eat is not easy in the desert. Also, the mountains do get cold, but it still is getting below freezing out here at nights.

If we are going to keep this prepper focused and not just bring our guns, girls & beer. ( We can bring that stuff also) I vote for a mountain retreat. Much easier to practice small game snares, find edible plants, map & compass, fire starting & shelter building. We should do this asap before snow hits.

This would be my prepper group outline and could take a whole year to do this:

1st event: Meet & Greet Weekender
Location: Mountain location ( if possible with some amenities/hook ups)
Objectives: Determine objectives & direction. Conduct some beginner outdoor skills & equipment testing. Shoot guns.

2nd event: Desert Survival & Shooting Skill builder/Gear testing Part1
Objectives: Car camping. Firearm shooting, handling & techniques. Conduct night shoot if conditions permit. Conduct desert survival skills workshop ( learn edible desert plants, learn about small &.large desert game in the mojave desert). Conduct Gear testing.

3rd event: Mountain Cold Weather Survival Skill Builder/Gear testing Part 1
Objective: Car camping. Mountain survival skill workshop ( learn edible mountain plants, learn about small &.large game. Orienteering. Fire making. Water purification, etc). Gear testing.

4th event: Desert Survival & Shooting Skill builder/Gear testing Part 2 - Advanced
Location: Hole-in-the-Wall, Mojave natural preserve (http://www.birdandhike.com/Areas/MOJA_Area/_MOJA_Area.htm)
Objectives:Advanced firearm shooting, handling & techniques. Advanced survival & gear testing.

5th Event: Mountain Cold Weather Survival Skill Builder Part 2 - Advanced
Objective: By this time there will be some cohesiveness in the group. Using only what you can carry. To determine this, there will be a 3 - 5 mile hike. Apply the skills learned in Part 1 for 3 days when temps can go below freezing (32F.) Conduct advanced mountain survival skills workshop.

6th Event: Desert Survival & Shooting Skill Emergency Scenario
Objective: On a trip to Las Vegas your car breaks downs. You have no cell reception. Using the items in your car you need to survive for a weekend in the desert. Conduct 3-5 mile hike. Shoot/trap game for food. Build fire/shelter/distress signal. Conduct workshop on common car breakdowns part 1 and fixes to get you to resources.

7th Event: Mountain Cold Weather Survival Skill Emergency Scenario
Objective: While getting to a rendezvous point with your skiing buddies, your vehicle breaks down. Using the items in your car you need to survive for a weekend in the mountains. Conduct 3-5 mile hike. Shoot/trap game for food. Build fire/shelter/distress signal. Conduct workshop on common car breakdowns part 2.

8th Event: Social Meet & Greet
Objective: Meet with members and introduce new members.

9th Event: 72 Hour Urban Survival Test
Location: A friendly Calgunner letting us use his/her large house.
Objective: Can you survive off your BOB? We all stay at ones persons large house for the weekend ( can conduct on your own.) Bring only what you have in your 72hour/BOB/Emergency Disaster kit. Turn off power/water/electronics.

Sleighter
11-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Are you talking about shooting ranges or designated shooting areas?
San Bernardino National Forest Recreational Shooting (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156888&navid=110250000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&ss=110512&position=Not%2520Yet%2520Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San%2520Bernardino%2520National%2520Forest%2 520-%2520Target%2520Shooting) page lists the rules for target shooting. I seem to either be mistaken regarding designated areas, or they don't mention it on this page. It seems shooting is generally aloud on low fire risk days. Somewhat restricted (time of day wise)on moderate risk days, and prohibited on high risk days. Fair enough.

You are correct, I misspoke about the "shooting ranges" they are in fact designated areas. In particular I mean the Arrastre areas. the first is the easiest to find and the most popular. The second isn't well known and in my experience always unaccepted.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/otheractivities/?recid=26225&actid=106

thenodnarb
11-20-2011, 11:09 PM
You are correct, I misspoke about the "shooting ranges" they are in fact designated areas. In particular I mean the Arrastre areas. the first is the easiest to find and the most popular. The second isn't well known and in my experience always unaccepted.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sbnf/recreation/otheractivities/?recid=26225&actid=106

Thanks for posting that. I knew I saw that somewhere. Having to use "designated" shooting areas is too restrictive for me. I'll have to stick to BLM land. Those designated areas aren't anywhere near where I want to go.

MB3
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Im just going to throw this out there... How does the 1st weekend of the new year work for everyone, as far as a date? Locally, I am game anytime for a outing as long as its within, I'll say, 45 miles...

MB3
12-27-2011, 1:02 PM
Merry Christmas all.... Things got busy real fast during these last few weeks or so. Hope all had a good time on Christmas and hope all have good times this upcoming weekend. Just wanted to activate this thread again... Let's get something set up people. To local San Diegans, let's get set up a motorcycle cruise, mountain bike trail ride, shooting/bbq outing, camp trip, lobster dive ( I got a 12 ft aluminum set up for the bay if ya'll would rather hoop net than get in the water during the night )... I need to make some freakin like minded buddies. Holdiays were great n all, but the woman, dog n I would definitely sleep better during a shtf scenario being a part of some kind of M.A.G.... These past few weeks have opened my eyes up even wider than they already were when it comes to having a group of like minded individuals and families, no matter how big or small. Strength in numbers is the only thing I can honestly say I don't have, for the time being. Take care all and Happy New Year... HOOYAH!