PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt my upper (Paint.Net-Fu Pics!)

shark92651
02-21-2007, 8:55 PM
I removed my gas block mounted flip sight, railed gas block, and plain floater forearm and installed a Las Baer low profile gas block, Yankee Hill Machine Specter length lightweight four rail free float, and a Midwest Industries rail mounted flip sight.

Since I don't have a decent background for my pics I decided to play around with the free Paint.Net program (very nice free paint tool).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/398374189_7ed68226d6_b.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/398386887_ed2f82c9fd_b.jpg

savageevo
02-21-2007, 9:08 PM
very nice. great background.

ghost
02-21-2007, 9:24 PM
thats sweet rifle!! i hope when i get the funds i can build one just as good as yours.

Greg-Dawg
02-21-2007, 9:26 PM
How did you make it float like that?

FlexPlasmaRifle
02-21-2007, 9:39 PM
nice good color scheme, how does it shoot

wintwu
02-21-2007, 10:14 PM
love the background too!

SuperSet
02-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Dude, very nice picture. Although I think you could go much larger on the scope. I can still see some rail.

C9X19
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Very nice! How do you like the MI sights? Also, did you find installing the jam nut on the YHM handguards a real PITA? Maybe it was like that for me because I didn't get the YHM wrench to go with it....

rod
02-22-2007, 6:24 AM
That's a beautiful rifle. I would like to build something similar to your gun for my next project. Nice background too. I tried taking some pictures of my latest build with a "Don't Tread On Me" flag as a background but I'm not very good at taking pictures.

shark92651
02-22-2007, 8:02 AM
How did you make it float like that?

I assume you mean the rifle in the pic and not the forearm? :p I used Paint.Net, a free tool with a similar feature set to Photoshop.

Original
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/398909854_0c5fa039f7.jpg

Final image
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/398374189_7ed68226d6.jpg

Here is how I created the pictures:

I Put the rifle on my kitchen counter and hung a plain white towel behind it to have maximum contrast for the pictures. I opened the .jpg in Paint.Net and used the "magic wand" tool to select and remove most of the background. I then did some clean up with the selection tools until I had just the rifle and a transparent region around it. I then added a plain white layer, and another layer with the background pics I found on the web. I set the opacity of the background image to around 150 to "wash" it out. Save as .jpg and voila.

The upper started life out as a Model 1 sales upper. I know they do not have the best reputation among some people but it shoots great and is to spec so I don't have any complaints. In hindsight, I should of just bought the upper configured the way I wanted it but I can't complain about the final look and I enjoyed the experience I gained from working on it. I have a CMMG upper on order right now for my next build.

paradox
02-22-2007, 8:29 AM
What muzzle device is that? Would the hole of a bayonet fit properly over it?

proraptor
02-22-2007, 8:51 AM
Nice MI flip ups....I love mine...

shark92651
02-22-2007, 9:00 AM
Very nice! How do you like the MI sights? Also, did you find installing the jam nut on the YHM handguards a real PITA? Maybe it was like that for me because I didn't get the YHM wrench to go with it....

Yes, installing the YHM was a bit of a pain. I DID order the wrench though. The problem is that the forearm kept moving as I tightened the jam nut. It took quite a bit of eye-balling it and adjustments to get it right. I would check it with a level constantly to make sure it was in the right place. I have a MI two-piece for my carbine upper and I'm sure that will go on in about 5 mins! I like the MI products - good quality at good price. I also like the looks of the MI sights. I planned to sell the rail mounted MI sight that I removed but now it is nowhere to be found! I swear I'm getting senile...

shark92651
02-22-2007, 9:03 AM
What muzzle device is that? Would the hole of a bayonet fit properly over it?

Thats a CMMG "rebar cutter" thread protector. I've never handled a bayonet so I don't know if it has enough clearance. It has a slightly wider diameter than this .938 bull barrel. I bought this originally to replace my A2 hider as I wanted to go sans evil with a MM grip. Now I have a bullet button on this rifle so I may not go that route.