PDA

View Full Version : Bear Creek Potato Soup Mix (Interesting review)

Got Stuff?
11-12-2011, 6:14 PM
Note:
Normally, all of my reviews are located at www.OutfittersSurplus-Gifts.com (http://www.OutfittersSurplus-Gifts.com) but since this is an isolated incident.......I'm going to put it here instead.

This is crazy!

I just found an old canister of Bear Creek potato soup mix that I had bought in September of 1999!

I used to get these canisters often as I kinda like their creamy potato and tortilla soup mix. I have not seen these larger canisters recently so I have not bought any in quite a while. This last canister of mine however, was hiding very well.

This canister (#10 can size?) has 34 servings of creamy potato soup mix.....just add water and cook.

I was curious to see if.....after 12 years of storage......the mix was still good. After all, it is 10 years PAST the expiration date and I have heard people in the past talk about the shelf life on this product being crap.

So, I fixed up a few servings.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/OutfittersSurplus/100_4259.jpg

To me, it tasted just like I got it at the store today. After everybody complimented that it's pretty darn good soup........I decided to see if I can find more of this stuff :)

ETA: added pic

KevinB
11-12-2011, 8:05 PM
The Bear Creek product line comes in tough bags now and are still great tasting. We store them in a 6 gallon bucket with a gamma lid.

They make a ton of flavors and we use them and add stuff to them. The potato
soup with chopped potato and canned clams is fantastic.

Thanks for the longevity report.

Fireguy
11-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Kevin
If you like the potato soup and claims add a little sherry in the pot, it is outstanding!

VegasND
11-13-2011, 6:57 AM
I've seen the products a few times but I've never bought any.

Thanks, I'll give 'em a try.

jyo
11-13-2011, 8:55 AM
I am constantly amazed just how well some sealed food products will last---of course, cool, dark, dry storage area is best. Canned food products seem to last almost forever and typically you don't need to need water---just heat and eat---or if things are really bad, just eat.

devilinblack
11-13-2011, 9:35 AM
Smart and Final sells the smaller packs as well as large plastic jars. Once in a while they go on sale CHEAP!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dRCVTSTv-oQ/Tr__pvQxklI/AAAAAAAABdQ/wvynzAF_udI/s800/2011-11-13_09-34-14_156.jpg

lgm118icbm
11-14-2011, 7:56 AM
I just ate some Teddy Grams that were probably 15 years old... and they were as good as new.

I will have to try some of that soup.

SmokinMr2
11-14-2011, 9:41 AM
Glad they store well. If they had better flavor they would be a winner ;)

bombadillo
11-14-2011, 9:53 AM
Love this stuff. I buy it in the bags instead as they pack really well and are great for camping. 2 bags of chili makes a whole campsite happy after an hour or so. I tend to spice things up and put extras in it and make it nice and thick, but its a great product and lasts a long time.

Potato soup is pretty good too.