PDA

View Full Version : Seriously on the dealer transfers?

Grnjeep1
11-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Seriously on the $150+ dros+ sales tax on the ffl to ffl transfer? You guys are better off just putting up a sign saying "GO AWAY" . I was going to purchase a Glock 17 and do a transfer on a DSA FAL receiver at the same time until I got an earful of the transfer fee. You guys can conduct your business however you like, it's your business, but that's just straight up insulting. You guys still don't get it. People who do transfers do buy guns locally. Close to $200 for a transfer? My money walks. Ymmv.

dshortone
11-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I've seen worse!

Blackhawk556
11-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Wow and I thought herb beaur in fresno was the worse ever. They charged $125 last time I was there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Santa Cruz Armory
11-12-2011, 1:06 PM
$150 :eek: We need to adjust our prices...

Boris
11-12-2011, 1:42 PM
Seriously on the $150+ dros+ sales tax on the ffl to ffl transfer? You guys are better off just putting up a sign saying "GO AWAY" . I was going to purchase a Glock 17 and do a transfer on a DSA FAL receiver at the same time until I got an earful of the transfer fee. You guys can conduct your business however you like, it's your business, but that's just straight up insulting. You guys still don't get it. People who do transfers do buy guns locally. Close to $200 for a transfer? My money walks. Ymmv.

I think you must have heard wrong. They quote $125 in OC, same as Grant Boys.

Grnjeep1
11-12-2011, 1:52 PM
I heard the man right. $150+dros+sales tax. Even if it were $125+dros +sales tax, that's still crazy.

geeknow
11-12-2011, 1:55 PM
per the BOE, ffl's are also to collect sales tax on the item being transferred too, if it's a ffl transfer from out of state. Most ffl's are getting ready, or already have, hiked their transfer fees in response to the added bookeeping they are now required to do.

Cokebottle
11-12-2011, 2:19 PM
Bright Spot has been $75 for about a year...
That still out the door.... FFL and DROS.
That's a $50 FFL fee, and is still among the cheapest with most shops being $60-$75 plus DROS.

BTW: For stripped lowers and other inexpensive guns, particularly NDS AKM lowers, OC Indoor in Brea has one of the better deals.
Their FFL transfer fee is 15% of the cost of the gun, up to a maximum of $55 (the $55 cap may be higher now, I don't know).
So that $55 NDS lower would be about $35 plus tax. Much better than a transfer where the FFL transfer + DROS ends up being twice the cost of the lower.

Keep in mind that the FFL transfer fee is taxable IF the original sale is taxable....

So by example, say you're buying a $500 gun, your FFL transfer fee is $50, and your city's sales tax rate is 8.25%:
Buy a gun from a private party = Not taxable. Total OTD is
$500 Gun cost to seller
$50 FFL
$25 DROS
=$575 - $500 to seller, $75 to FFL

Buy a gun from a dealer = Taxable. Total OTD is
$500 Gun cost to seller
....$41.25 tx
$50 FFL
....$4.13 tx
$25 DROS
=$595.38 - $500 to seller, $95.38 to FFL

11-12-2011, 7:16 PM
:sleep1:

Turner's Outdoorsman
11-14-2011, 3:24 PM

Our fees are definitely not the lowest (nor apparently, the highest)- $125, plus DROS and Use Tax, if applicable. As we've mentioned in some other threads, we are not able to do them for the $50-$70 that pawn shops charge.

We do some FFL transfers for free (NRA, CRPA, DU, CWA and other non-profits) we do others for reduced cost (LE or Military when doing factory direct orders) but for those guns purchased elsewhere (out-of-state dealers, online, etc.) we charge the full price.

Turner's Outdoorsman
11-14-2011, 3:44 PM
per the BOE, ffl's are also to collect sales tax on the item being transferred too, if it's a ffl transfer from out of state. Most ffl's are getting ready, or already have, hiked their transfer fees in response to the added bookeeping they are now required to do.

Yep, it all adds up.

The interesting thing is that we still end up doing more FFL transfers than some of the more "transfer-friendly" "dealers". In fact we end up doing a larger number of transfers than some guys likely do in new guns...

Fishslayer
11-21-2011, 4:06 PM
Yep, it all adds up.

The interesting thing is that we still end up doing more FFL transfers than some of the more "transfer-friendly" "dealers". In fact we end up doing a larger number of transfers than some guys likely do in new guns...

With that kind of volume you'd think you could drop the price...;)

Add $125 to most of what's on the WTS board & it's cheaper to buy new...

HPGunner
11-22-2011, 7:28 AM
It seems like there has been an hike in out-of-state transfer fees across many FFL's. Also the collection of sales tax is required (well from what I heard it's made more clear that it's required and enforced). The state of Cali is desperate for any tax dollars. $150 + DROS + tax - Wow - I was complaining to my FFL when they hiked it from a flat $75 (includes DROS) to a flat $100 fee. They also charge sales tax on the their fee (i.e. the fee excluding the $25 DROS is taxed). Now I'm not complaining anymore.

I'm guessing this will have a big impact on the online retailers. On the plus side should increase the local sales but at the expense of the consumer. The added fees and now including sales tax doesn't justify ordering online anymore.

blazeaglory
11-22-2011, 3:41 PM
There is not a gun that I have seen online or out of state that I have not found on calguns or at a local dealer for the same price or cheaper.

paul0660
11-22-2011, 3:55 PM
There is not a gun that I have seen online or out of state that I have not found on calguns or at a local dealer for the same price or cheaper.

I agree about 99%.

bill_k_lopez
11-23-2011, 9:54 AM
Had originally posted that a competitors price was lower (looks like post was removed) - just called said competitor and was told fee has now increased to $100, $75 fee $25 DROS and they now charge sales tax - if no invoice is included they will charge (even on a used gun) sales tax at MSRP.

So much for buying used, the gun I wanted to buy used to save a few bucks will cost me the price of a brand new gun (when you add $100 to the price + shipping), and then they charge you sales tax on an out of state purchase.

Cokebottle
11-23-2011, 6:21 PM
Sales tax is NOT due on a private party out of state sale.
Used gun vs "new" gun is not the trigger... the trigger is "did you buy it from a dealer or a private party"

If you bought a 100 year old 1911 from a dealer, it is taxable, same as if you walked into Turner's and bought the same gun.

So buy private party, and make sure that the seller includes some kind of invoice.