PDA

View Full Version : SA58s - Method of affixing magazine.

BoilermakerJim
02-21-2007, 3:39 PM
After thanking DSA for actually serving California residents, I asked them which method they used to "permanently" affix the magazine. I wanted to make sure it wasn't welded, or some other non-reversible method, so that if a bullet-type release were ever available for it, or if I ever moved out of CA, I could change the method of affixing.

It surprised me when they responded with "We do not disclose how the mags are fixed. If you move from the state of CA you can send your DSA rifle back to us and we can unfix the mag for you for a charge of $90.00."

I find that to be a rediculous response. Does anyone know the deal here?

SemiAutoSam
02-21-2007, 3:45 PM
Sure

They weld the ejector block to the magazine and then assemble it as a unit to the receiver.

All you would have to do is knock 2 pics out and out falls the ejector block and 10 round magazine.

Ask CWS to get the rifle from them and then buy it from him. this way the rifle wont have the PC fixed magazine that DSA installs.

house
02-21-2007, 3:59 PM
My s858 actually has a little blob of weld that prohibits the magazine relase from moving, if one was so inclined this could be undone with a small file in a matter of minutes then one would just need to find the spring that tensions the magazine release....

JPglee1
02-21-2007, 4:22 PM
After thanking DSA for actually serving California residents, I asked them which method they used to "permanently" affix the magazine. I wanted to make sure it wasn't welded, or some other non-reversible method, so that if a bullet-type release were ever available for it, or if I ever moved out of CA, I could change the method of affixing.
?

Once you get it out send me a PM and Ill show you how we solve the problem w/out welding.

J

wilit
02-21-2007, 5:00 PM
If you're not into welding...

http://cgwgun.com/detail.aspx?ID=36

grammaton76
02-21-2007, 5:02 PM
Once you get it out send me a PM and Ill show you how we solve the problem w/out welding.

Who are you, and what have you done with JP?

BoilermakerJim
02-21-2007, 5:57 PM
Fantastic advice all. Thank you. Anyone heard of a bullet-type release for these or is that out of the question?

grammaton76
02-21-2007, 6:01 PM
Fantastic advice all. Thank you. Anyone heard of a bullet-type release for these or is that out of the question?

jjperl1, I think his name is, has one.

HUTCH 7.62
02-21-2007, 6:04 PM
My Stg 58 has a piece of scap steel tacked in place; not very well if I might add

dfletcher
02-21-2007, 8:32 PM
I bought an SA58 late last year from DSA - 16.25" bbl with a Steyr short flash hider. The magazine is definitely not welded to the ejector block. If you remove the mag release (by unscrewing the mag hold open/mag release screw) the magazine pops right out. Looks to me to be a plain old 10 rd mag.

There is as mentioned a small drop of weld on the mag release channel in the e-block. This drop of weld serves to stop rearward movement of the mag release when it's in place. It in effect prevents the mag release from pivoting rearward.

It is easily removed by either taking out the e-block & filing the weld flat or by using a small file in the channel itself. If you take out the e-block filing takes 2 minutes. If you file it in place, 1 hr or so. I didn't want to drift out the e-block pins & disrupt the finish, so I left the e-block in & filed in place.

My SA58 came with the allen screw tapped mag release, I think it's 8x32 thread. I bought the screw & set it in place. The mag release even takes a spring, although I keep the spring out of it until I'm in NV or OR.

The CA SA58 will also take conventional 20 & 30 rd mags, although again wait until you escape CA to use them.