PDA

View Full Version : porting a handgun

boogak
02-21-2007, 2:37 PM
does porting a handgun really reduce recoil? also does it interfere with sighting
and would you rather have a ported on non ported glock or xd?

SnWnMe
02-21-2007, 2:42 PM
*makes popcorn*

boogak
02-21-2007, 2:55 PM
*makes popcorn*
????

Mute
02-21-2007, 3:01 PM
Yes, porting does help reduce recoil and muzzle flip. No, it doesn't interfere with sighting. Would I have it done on my guns? Only on a range or competition gun but not a HD or carry gun, because the hot gases can be a problem if you have to shoot from a retention position or otherwise have the gun tight against your body when you fire.

SNEAKS
02-21-2007, 3:23 PM
I have my Glock 17 with a Lone Wolf extended ported barrel. Mute is dead on. The gun is a range use only gun. . I would not use it for a H.D. gun because the flash that comes out the top in the dark can mess with your eyes enough to not get a good follow up shot. It has taken almost all of the recoil out of it and makes for some easy accurate fast shooting. If its for a Glock try the Lone Wolf barrel. They are a nice barrel for $90.

SkyMag68
02-21-2007, 4:08 PM
I got ported xd9..its does reduce the recoil and gotta clean that sight every time after goin to the range..sound alot louder than non ported one..

house
02-21-2007, 4:37 PM
one thing my ported hk-tactical does is shoot flame into your sight picture so i would not consider porting a barrel on a hand gun that you would ever shoot in the dark in a defensive situation

Mr. Beretta
02-22-2007, 7:56 AM
Don't know what gun you're thinking about but unless it's a range or comp gun, I wouldn't do it.

SnWnMe
02-22-2007, 9:26 AM
So why is it that revolvers are recommended for home defense when they exhibit this very same problem of blast and gas exiting the gun (at the cylinder/barrel gap) to ruin night vision and present a burn hazard?

elsolo
02-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Ported handgun barrels don't reduce muzzle flip worth a darn, especially with factory ammo.
They do shoot hot gas in places you might not want.
They do put you into "open division" if you ever decide to go shoot competetively (you should), and where they are almost totally ununsed in favor of a muzzle mounted compensator.
If you think it looks cool, or you are convinced it really helps you, or it just tickles your pickle for whatever reason then fine.

OP's questions:
1.) no
2.) no
3.) non-ported Glock

Mute
02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
The gas bleed from a revolver is nothing like the blast from a port or compensator. Test it against a sheet of paper and you'll see the difference.

SnWnMe
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I've done that. They are about the same for a 357. There is still the claim that porting creates a flash that ruins your night vision. What did all those cops in the 357 wheelgun days do to overcome the flames jetting out of the b/c gap? Heck, what about the main fireball at the muzzle?

boogak
02-22-2007, 3:48 PM
pretty much what im askin is would you use a ported pistol for carry?

maxicon
02-22-2007, 5:11 PM
I've done that. They are about the same for a 357. There is still the claim that porting creates a flash that ruins your night vision. What did all those cops in the 357 wheelgun days do to overcome the flames jetting out of the b/c gap? Heck, what about the main fireball at the muzzle?

I've seen quite a variety of muzzle flash out of a .357, depending on the powder used and barrel length, and many "LE" designated rounds have flash suppressants in the powder.

I've got some ammo that has a huge fireball in my 6" 586, and new shooters love it because of the monster fireball. Definitely not home defense ammo, but tons of fun!

I wouldn't use a ported pistol for carry or home defense, but everyone's got their preferences...

naimad
02-22-2007, 5:45 PM

they closed their eyes:D

goldfinger
02-22-2007, 6:42 PM
i got a glock 22C which i use on the range but i always replace the barrel with the one from a glock 35 which i bought off ebay whenever i use it for HD.

slick_711
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I got ported xd9..its does reduce the recoil and gotta clean that sight every time after goin to the range..sound alot louder than non ported one..

That white dot on your sight that you're cleaning... it isn't proper sight alignment -- its for quick acquisition. Unless you're shooting under stress in combat leave it dirty, and take .002 seconds longer to get proper 'rampart' sight picture with front/rear sight tops level. Ignore dots. I also would contend that it isn't louder overall; it's just redirecting more of the sound towards you.

I jest. Well, I mean, it is true, but my intention bringing it up is just to razzle you a bit. Anyway, I won't comment on whether or not the porting helps, it has it's place and depends on caliber/shooting purpose. However, I will tell you, as I think I mentioned in a similar thread recently... Ported XDs break. Don't do it.

The XD is an awesome pistol, truly well engineered and reliable, I love them. But the factory ported models leave too little metal on the slide, and they break. I've seen it happen repeatedly on more than one customer's pistol. It happened to one customer three times, to the extent that the third time instead of replacing the slide SA sent him a brand new XD45 Tactical (non ported).