PDA

View Full Version : what are my options for rebuilding a thermold?

unsped
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
delete

Technical Ted
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
The follower won't work in a USGI. I have 14 Thermolds, 4 of which are useless because I don't have replacement parts (Not that I've been looking real hard). The problem I've found with Thermolds is that the base plate latch has a tendency to break off, rendering the magazine useless.

ibbryn
02-21-2007, 3:31 PM
I've got two Mini 14 Thermolds. On these mags there is a hole at the top front of the mag that mates with a pin in the Mini body. I recently noticed the mag body has broken away around the pin. They still fit snuggly and I can use them at the range, but I won't use them in any life-or-death situations.

I've looked for replacement bodies and can't find them and figure I am screwed.

bobfried
02-21-2007, 4:22 PM
This might be a stretch but I intend to purchase Magpul's new PMAG as replacement for my thermolds. I intend to get the mag body, the follower and base plate to rebuild my thermolds. Nowhere does the law state on the limit of how many parts I can replace, so I intend to replace everything but the spring. The PMAG will be closest thing to a Thermold. I will than dispose of my thermolds by chopping them up into small pieces.

Matter of fact, I don't know of any law that would prevent me to repair my aluminum USGI magazines the same way. The intend is repair and upkeep of your EXISTING mags, as long as I don't end up with more, I am not doing anything illegal.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-21-2007, 4:45 PM
This is very interesting to me; way back in the day I picked up probably around two dozen Thermold AR 30 rounders; most brand new in the sealed plastic. I also picked up a a heck of a lot more Bushmaster marked Teflon coated LaBelles and settled on them as my standard mag.

Never did use the Thermolds, just have them sitting around the safe. So if I disassembled them I suppose I could sell them as repair kits? I wonder if it's even worth the hassle. I thought about selling them out of state but they're not worth that much since the AW ban sunset.

Any suggestions?

Technical Ted
02-21-2007, 5:18 PM
So if I disassembled them I suppose I could sell them as repair kits?
The failure of my floor plate latches occured during disassembly or reassembly.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-21-2007, 7:34 PM
The failure of my floor plate latches occured during disassembly or reassembly.
Ah, that puts the kibosh on that idea.

I'll find a use for them someday.

Tweak338
02-21-2007, 8:02 PM
its not illegal to dump them.
and its not illegal to find them..
hmm.. Geocache mags?

QuarterBoreGunner
02-21-2007, 8:53 PM
Geocache mags?
Sneaky sneaky...