PDA

View Full Version : Heat

VetteBill
11-11-2011, 5:20 PM
What do you guys recommend for heat inside a tent or in the home that is safe if the grid goes down the there is no gas supply?

5thgen4runner
11-11-2011, 5:21 PM
Sex.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

jonc
11-11-2011, 5:23 PM
:eek:

Your right...

Sex.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

GrizzlyGuy
11-11-2011, 5:31 PM
Wood is pretty safe if you have a fireplace or wood stove. Kerosene heaters are safe if you follow some basic safety precautions (http://nasdonline.org/document/1301/d001100/kerosene-heater-safety.html). Unfortunately the government doesn't allow them to be sold in or shipped to Kalifornia, but it is OK to run across the border and bring them back in.

VetteBill
11-11-2011, 5:33 PM
I have a New Kerosene heater I bought years ago. I was not aware it was safe to used in an closed indoor area.

thenodnarb
11-11-2011, 5:34 PM
Mr Buddy!!
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=mr+buddy

11HE9
11-11-2011, 5:47 PM
What do you guys recommend for heat inside a tent or in the home that is safe if the grid goes down the there is no gas supply?

In a tent...

The more bodies the better. I don't think it's a Man card violation to put four people in a two man tent in the winter (better if it's mixed company).

In a house...

Fireplace, wood stove, extra blankets, snuggle on the sofa. I have used a kerosene space heater indoors before, but we kept a couple windows cracked to allow fresh air in.

TrailerparkTrash
11-11-2011, 6:31 PM
HEY ALL, I'M KINDA SHOCKED AT SOME POSTS HERE! WOOD, KEROSENE OR ANY COMBUSTABLE FUEL WILL PRODUCE CARBON MONOXIDE!!!!! Yes, you can use that stuff in your house, however you MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE A CHIMNEY OF SORTS TO VENT OUT THE EXHAUST!!! AND.... YOU MUST HAVE AN OPEN WINDOW OR TWO JUST A CRACK TO ALLOW FRESH AIR INSIDE THE HOUSE/STRUCTURE!!!!!!! Otherwise, you will die and so will your family in your house of carbon monoxide poisoning!!!!!

Burning kerosene, diesel, or "cleen kersosene substitute" inside a home is FILTHY NASTY STINKY!!!!! Don't do it!!!!! You would need to keep some windows open a crack AND HAVE AN EXHAUST SYSTEM (CHIMNEY) TO ROUTE THE EXHAUST OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE/STRUCTURE!!!!

In a tent, they are not airtight light a home, so it's bit safer!

ireload
11-13-2011, 2:03 AM
If you are inside a tent hopefully you have enough clothing and blankets to bundle up. Inside a home, if you have a fire place then wood would be the best choice. Charcoal would be another choice for a heat source. You can also use those heat pads they sell in the sporting good store but would be limited in use since most last only several hours.

Cen Cal Gunner
11-13-2011, 7:51 AM
Dutch oven?

Dutch3
11-13-2011, 7:55 AM
If you are inside a tent hopefully you have enough clothing and blankets to bundle up. Inside a home, if you have a fire place then wood would be the best choice. Charcoal would be another choice for a heat source.

I would not use charcoal indoors. Very smoky/toxic. My wife's folks used to use a kerosene heater sitting right in the middle of the kitchen floor. Her mom would set a pot of beans on top to simmer. The fumes were so bad it made my eyes water.

I currently use an older wood pellet stove that was given to me several years ago. It is somewhat unique in that it actually runs on 12VDC and has a built-in 120VAC converter. There are terminals on the bottom to connect a battery. It normally runs on 120V and keeps the battery charged. If the power fails, it cuts over to 12V automatically.

I once ran it for 4 days straight on a car battery and the battery still started the car afterward. It was manufactured by Trail Blazer in Oregon. Unfortunately, they went out of business in the early 1990s. The only currently-produced pellet stoves with battery backup I am aware of are made by Thelin in Grass Valley, CA. They are very nice, but they are quite expensive.

Burning wood pellets to heat my home costs about half of what running my propane furnace does - and the furnace won't run it there is no power.

VetteBill
11-13-2011, 2:08 PM
I would really like to find something safe for indoor use just in case. It can get really cold at night in the east bay area during the winter months.

thenodnarb
11-13-2011, 5:43 PM
I would really like to find something safe for indoor use just in case. It can get really cold at night in the east bay area during the winter months.

MR BUDDY is INDOOR SAFE! I'm serious. Its an awesome heater. check it out in my previous link. I bought one for my inlaws and I need to get one for myself since our heater is acting up. When it goes down, I can turn ont he buddy(which I borrowed from inlaws) and it heats up our house(only 400sq ft or so) in 15 minutes. Sitting in front of it is like sitting in front of a small camp fire, and it has a saftey so if its knocked over it shuts off so it wont start a fire. It runs on propane; either the coleman size or the 5 gallon size, and its pretty darn efficient. It doesn't vent toxic gases, but it does consume air so don't use in an air tight space(although I think it has a saftey for that as well). I don't think an air tight home exists so you should be fine oxygen wise. The little buddy is perfect for a tent, but I prefer the standard size for general use.

covertcombatant
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053a751&categoryid=3000#.TsC_9RrLRHg

ElvenSoul
11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Got snow then this

http://www.igloobuilding.org/

ElvenSoul
11-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Got 12volts?

http://www.globaltrucker.com/catalog/12_Volt_Heaters-582-1.html

Californio
11-14-2011, 3:10 PM
Couple of Dogs

colddeadhands
11-14-2011, 4:32 PM
I have but boiling water into water bottles and shoved them in my sleeping bag to stay warm. I have also slept right next to the fire to stay warm, and burned a bunch of holes in my bedroll. I wont do that again.

bohoki
11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
depends not sure of your assets

but i'll tell you what i use

i have a dyna glo 8000 btu propane it is safe but it runs a propane bottle dry in 4 hrs and those little suckers cost like $3 each

i also have a 25,000 btu dynaglo rmc 95 but it uses 2 gallons of kerosene up in about 9 hours

and kerosene is like $5 a gallon and refilling i always get a drop on my fingers that seems to stink for about an hour also there is fiddly maintinence you have to do every now and then like cleaning the wick changing the batteries and ignitor i use a wand lighter now
also with the kerosene you should start and stop them outside the house as they smoke a bit till they get warmed up and smoke stink a tad (severly) when shut off also must be refilled outside

they also have catalytic type heaters but they are often so low powered they barely make a dent in heating any size room

ive gone through a few options

and i like the little dyna glo propane it keeps my room warm my co detector has never gone off and being that it only uses a 1 pounder the chances of it running long enough to gas me out is slim

Fireguy
11-16-2011, 12:45 AM
I have to agree Mr Heater and his little buddies are great for keeping a tent warm. They have what they call an O2 sensor that will shut off the unit if the CO level gets to an unsafe level. They won't work much above 7000 feet do to the O2 sensor.
The unit I like uses 2 one pound bottles of propane, it has a couple of temperture settings and a fan to move the heat around the tent. Most MR Heater brand can be converted to bulk propane.
If nothing else check them out.

emtnsocali
11-16-2011, 8:27 AM
snuggie

ns3v3n
11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
I always see the coleman propane heaters at Walmart, not sure how good it is but they are safe to use in a tent. People say after getting it, let it be on for awhile before you bring it in the tent, suppose to smell bad when you first turn it on, but it goes away after awhile.

OHOD
11-16-2011, 12:58 PM
There's a few ways to generate heat, as mentioned in prior posts, a fireplace and such would be a good idea. As for me, I do not have a way to heat my apartment.

I will have to rely on my own body heat and keep my energy up by ensuring I'm hydrated and take in enough calories.

I have a sub zero parka and a sub zero sleeping bag. In the past I have slept in 18 degree weather comfortably. The point is to not lose your body heat. Wear a wool hat.

I have three wool blankets as well. They make great shawls to drape over your shoulders or knees.

When things get bad, I boil water and pour it in a Nalgene bottle and use it as a heat source inside my sleeping bag, tent, jacket or whatever.
This is one of the reasons I don't use Camelbaks anymore.

Candles can actually provide quit a bit of heat in a small area. But you still have to be careful about carbon monoxide.

I have camped in some pretty cold weather, and I have NEVER EVER turned on a stove inside my tent. EVER!
Same goes with apartments.

Oceanbob
11-16-2011, 1:08 PM
I always see the coleman propane heaters at Walmart, not sure how good it is but they are safe to use in a tent. People say after getting it, let it be on for awhile before you bring it in the tent, suppose to smell bad when you first turn it on, but it goes away after awhile.

A good way to get a dirt nap.

bohoki
11-16-2011, 1:50 PM
here is the one i started with

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/P11-16-11_1247.jpg
its a turner and its 4000btu but it has no safetys and it doesnt really heat an area its more focused also it only works with the 14 oz torch type bottles

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/P11-16-11_1248.jpg here is an old 70s catalytic but it can only be used with coleman fuel and that being like $10 a gallon its pretty much obsolete also has no safetys and must be started and sfuffed outside(yes is uses an aluminum snuffer) also it cannot be stored filled as it will all evaporate within a week

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/P11-16-11_1249.jpg here is my 3rd attempt it is a 3k-5k btu it uses 14 or 16 oz propane it has thermo couple safety but it is still too low powered

my other option was this one

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/P11-16-11_1251.jpg

its 26k it has a tip over safety but having to light it and turn it off outside refueling outside i mounted it to a base with wheels

on high it runs at 26000 btu and heats up a room great and is generally odor and smoke free on low its like 24000 btu and makes a bit of stink its good for a big room with vaulted ceilings but in a small room it will really get hot and the only way to stop it is to put out the flame and it is like a giant candle being blown out (so you have to take it outside

so far my best option
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/P11-16-11_1332.jpg

8000 btu on high 6000btu on low it has the piezo starter tip over safety, low oxy safety safety cage, bottle protector cover(unlike the mr.heater little buddy) now they seem to only make them in grey but i got a black one

it keeps my bedroom warm the main problem is that when it runs the propane bottle gets cold and water condenses on it forming frost and that will melt and drip so i keep it on plastic with a towel(dont put it on a nice credenza)

stix213
11-16-2011, 2:45 PM
Tents can be very flammable, and you are inside it with the heater. You can be engulfed in flames very quickly. Be careful

97F1504RAD
11-16-2011, 4:18 PM
http://www.rei.com/category/40004533

Doh!

I see a few have already suggested these.

OHOD
11-16-2011, 4:23 PM
http://www.carbonmonoxidedeaths.com/

Salty
11-23-2011, 6:52 PM
Thread reminds me of those stories you always hear about entire families dying in their sleep during a power outage because someone hauled in and lit the BBQ before they went to bed. :-/

thenodnarb
11-23-2011, 9:06 PM
there are plenty of safe ways to heat a place without risk of CO poisoning. The buddy heater I mentioned many times is one of them. If you're really paranoid, get a carbon monoxide alarm. and leave a window cracked. A fireplace can be just as much a risk as a propane heater. I'd be more worried about low oxygen than carbon monoxide. Now if you are running an old school heater, I can see the risk, but you shouldn't run an old school outdoor heater inside. Mr Buddy is designed for indoor use so its GTG. Its seriously the best solution and is not very expensive as a backup/portable heating solution. All this concern about CO poisoning is unnecessary. Be aware of it, but buy the right tool and its no concern. :rolleyes:

brandontodd33
11-23-2011, 9:54 PM
If its for a tent I have done the rock from a fire trick and that worked pretty good. I wrapped it in an extra shirt so it wasn't so rough. It. Lasted all night as well

TurboChrisB
11-24-2011, 9:23 AM
This, The Mr Heater and Mr Buddy are the only way to go. I use one with the extended 12' hose to a 20lb bottle outside the tent.

My sleeping bag keeps me warm...but I've camped in weather cold enough that I could NOT leave my face outside the sleeping bag...and I HATED sleeping with my head under the covers. Never again. The Mr heater takes care of that.

The coleman does ok, but the problem is the 1lb bottles ONLY last 3-5 hours max....that means you wake up cold in the middle of the night....

there are plenty of safe ways to heat a place without risk of CO poisoning. The buddy heater I mentioned many times is one of them. If you're really paranoid, get a carbon monoxide alarm. and leave a window cracked. A fireplace can be just as much a risk as a propane heater. I'd be more worried about low oxygen than carbon monoxide. Now if you are running an old school heater, I can see the risk, but you shouldn't run an old school outdoor heater inside. Mr Buddy is designed for indoor use so its GTG. Its seriously the best solution and is not very expensive as a backup/portable heating solution. All this concern about CO poisoning is unnecessary. Be aware of it, but buy the right tool and its no concern. :rolleyes: