View Full Version : Need advice on a scope

Jimmy Deuce
02-21-2007, 9:07 AM
I want to get a long eye relief scope that has windage and hieght adjust ments that can be done by finger (not a coin or tool). Im looking for something entry level not to expensive. Any suggestions.

02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Depending on what you mean when you say "long eye relief," you may want to consider a handgun scope. The Bushnell Trophy runs about $160.00 from the mail order places. I don't know how good it is, however. Personally, I like Burris scopes but all of the manufacturers have long eye relief handgun scopes. Check around!

02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah how long is long? 4 inches for a rifle scope is long. For hand gun scope its a couple feet. What do you plan to mount it on?

02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Good luck finding one! Entry level scopes don't come with long eye relief.
Target knobs are available on many of the cheap tactical scopes.

Assuming you are talking about riflescopes since you are here. My entry level is a $75 scope.

02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm guessing (based on the other 10 threads you started this week) that you're looking for a scope for a scout mount on a Mosin M38. In the scope world cost and quality move directly proportionately with each other for the first few hundred dollars. Add special requirements like 15" of eye relief or target knobs and you move up the price scale at the same quality level.

In my opinion, you have two options: the ~40 bucks NCStar scope available from makarov.com, or 300 bucks for a decent handgun scope from Burris or Leupold. The NCStar is cheap enough that you won't cry after a couple hundred rounds of 7.62x54R breaks it, and anything else is just working your way up to the good scope, so why waste $150 bucks on something intermediate?

just fyi, I've got a NCStar scope on one of my M38's right now. Next bonus check gets me a real scope.