PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1S90 Ammo

Rogue187
02-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know what ammo is best for a M1S90?

I tried the Federal Tactical Load and it would not cycle.

If you can recommend an ammo that is realiable and will cycle the action.

I like the idea of the Tactical Buck.

Bimmerworld
02-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I've had good luck with any "Heavy Game" Loads and "Sporting Loads". I also tried some 3" 2/steel shot high veloicty (1550fps) stuff, but it was murder on my shoulder.

Haven't tried any tactical stuff yet. I did try some Winchester superX high energy/low recoil stuff (like $1/shell) and it failed to cycle a few times.

Josh
02-21-2007, 1:35 PM
is this a new or lightly used gun?

The benelli NEEDS to be broken in with some heavy loads.

My M1 shoots the 100rd value packs of 12ga and tactical/reduced recoil 00.

Also dont death squeeze the shotgun.

Rogue187
02-21-2007, 1:39 PM
This is a new gun..
Cleaned and about 100 rounds through it.
Tried the tactical stuff and it refused to cycle.
When I went with slug it worked fine but when I changed over to the tactical stuff it failed to eject.

Josh
02-21-2007, 5:32 PM
This is a new gun..
When I went with slug it worked fine but when I changed over to the tactical stuff it failed to eject.

go get some magnum or heavy game loads and run them through the gun to break in the recoil system. Also ensure that you are cleaning the rails in the receiver where the bolt rides, when cleaning and lubing the gun use a light oil like CLP instead of grease.

buffybuster
02-21-2007, 6:23 PM
In my experience, the Benelli M1S90 needs a minimum 1-1/8oz, 3dram equiv. load to cycle reliablely. I have in the past had excellent reliability with some Federal High Velocity 7/8oz, 3-1/4dram loads, but haven't found them again. Please notice that both loads are at or above the 3dram minimum. Since the M1S90 is recoil operated, it needs a load with enough recoil force to work the action. 1-1/4oz high base loads would probably be absolutely reliable. One thing the M1S90 can be very sensitive to is if you have accessories hanging off it. This can adversely effect reliability, since you are increasing the mass of the gun and reducing the available recoil to cycle the action.

Shoot Safe

Katana
02-22-2007, 2:26 AM
I have a Hk M1 Super 90 with a Wolff 25% reduced power recoil spring and it runs like a Swiss watch with Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 00 BK (9 pellets).

I tried the Remington Low Recoil buck & slugs and they would not cycle. (YMMV)

With the Wolff reduced power spring you can safely run standard game loads (bird shot) but, although they would cycle, you should not run standard buck or slugs.

Rogue187
02-22-2007, 6:06 AM
Katana,
Do you know if the Wolff spring will allow the M1S90 to fire the Federal Tactical Buck load?

I see in your post that it will work with the Winchester Low Recoil stuff.
Will it work with other low recoil/tactical stuff?

Katana
02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Katana,
Do you know if the Wolff spring will allow the M1S90 to fire the Federal Tactical Buck load?

I see in your post that it will work with the Winchester Low Recoil stuff.
Will it work with other low recoil/tactical stuff?
There's no way to tell except to put the spring in and test various brands of ammo.

I started out with the Remington and it wouldn't cycle. Then I tried the Winchester and it ran over 200 rounds without a stoppage, so I settled on it.

However, I have a older Benelli (HK) and I assume you have a newer one, so because of possible design changes you can't necessarily go by what does or doesn't work in mine.

45R
02-23-2007, 6:52 PM
This is a new gun..

Clean it up and lube the bolt rail and shell latch. Run a few cases of Walmart bulk ammo through it and about 100 rounds of Winchester Super X 00 buckl and it'll shoot just about anything you load into it. :)

Mine shoots just about anything all day long :)

Benelli Boy
02-23-2007, 7:43 PM
Agree with 45R, clean and lube it. I was taking a course with 2 other friends, both with Benelli M1. So 2 out of 3 ran perfect with various birdshot,buck and slug, low recoil stuff also. At break, the instructor takes the malfuctioning one apart and lubes it. It runs perfect throughout the course. Mine will cycle the lightest Winchester AA target loads and it is totally stock. Just keep shooting it and it will loosen up. Hope this helps.

E. Fudd
03-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Is your M1S90 stock or does it have any add-ons (Sidesaddle, Surefire light, etc.)? They are pretty finicky once you start adding on 'upgrades'.

On my Benelli, out-of-the-box it wouldn't reliably feed even full power loads (e.g. empty case would be hanging on the extractor, shell sticking out of the port). Sent it back for warranty service. Turned out the recoil spring tube in the stock was out of spec causing drag/binding. Once replaced, it ran fine, including with reduced recoil buck and slugs.

Jicko
12-09-2009, 1:32 PM
(Sorry for bringing back the long dead thread)

I have a M1s90 that wouldn't reliably cycle Winchester Ranger Low Recoil Buck/Slug....

I am looking for ways to "tune" it...

Any ideas?

Sumo99
12-10-2009, 4:39 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Jicko. I have a few boxes of Ranger slugs and 00 and it won't cycle. Low recoil Winchester #4 Buck and Remington Tactical 00 no problem. In the end, I've pretty much just decided to stick with the full power stuff.

MossbergMan
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Quick question: Do you have anything hanging off the gun? Sidesaddle, light?
Any extra weight dampens the recoil impluse and reduces the M1's ability to cycle the lighter loads.
Break in and lubication are also critical issues. Get 200+ rounds of heavy game loads through it and try the Federals again. Make sure it is well lubed.
I left mine "bolt open" when stored, thinking it may help "set the spring some. I have no idea if it worked or not, but my M1 Super90 runs just about everything. 7 1/2 birdshot 3 dram 1 oz or 1 1/8oz chatters right along as does the LE132 Federal. No spring changes. My gun is old. 1st generation Benelli (just after HK import). New guns have different bolt configurations, might make a difference.

BamBam-31
12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
+1 on the Wolff spring. My HK M1s90 eats everything w/ that spring. Only failure was from a shell w/ a considerable burr in the plastic hull.

esskay
12-11-2009, 2:10 PM
(Sorry for bringing back the long dead thread)

I have a M1s90 that wouldn't reliably cycle Winchester Ranger Low Recoil Buck/Slug....

I am looking for ways to "tune" it...

Any ideas?

Another possibility is with PG stocks, some folks experience a little less reliability depending on how they hold the gun during recoil. Straight stocks can be more reliable for those people.

My M2 runs these slugs reliably.