PDA

View Full Version : 1911 mags won't drop free on empty

kalibear
02-21-2007, 8:21 AM
I have two 8rd CMC Powermags that I've never had problems before but now they won't drop free on empty. Tried it on different 1911s, same thing. Any fix to this? Can't tell if the body is warped, compared to other mags that worked fine. Springs and followers seem to look fine. Guess its time to switch to Wilson mags

chickenfried
02-21-2007, 8:59 AM
I noticed my 1911 magazines wouldn't drop free. Turned out the grip screws that came with my thin grips were sticking into the magazine chute(?proper term?) rubbing slightly on the magazine. The drag kept it from dropping freely.

kalibear
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I noticed my 1911 magazines wouldn't drop free. Turned out the grip screws that came with my thin grips were sticking into the magazine chute(?proper term?) rubbing slightly on the magazine. The drag kept it from dropping freely.

Yeah I checked those too and I backed out the screws, still not dropping free

donger
02-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I think it's time to replace those mags.

Black_Talon
02-21-2007, 4:55 PM
Measure the width of the feedlips compared to the width of the mag body. Powermags are good, but they still suffer from expanding feedlips, especially if kept loaded for long periods.

Otherwise, check the trigger stirrup to make sure it hasn't become bent far enough inward to impede the magazine.

If it is the feedlips, switching to Wilsons won't help over the long term. Their bodies are not as robust as Powermags and their lips will expand over time too.

gimmejr
02-21-2007, 5:45 PM
My Sig did the same thing, I had them send me a new mag release button and it cleared up.

NwG
02-21-2007, 8:11 PM
Usually a good sigh the feed lips are wore out.. As noted above.. Time for some new mags!!

Buy Wilsons.. This is covered under the lifetime warrenty.. Just be sure to keep everything they come in...

snacks
02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Is this happening with a new gun or is it a problem that just surfaced. I had this issue with a brand new SA GI. My wilsons, CMC and Mecgar mags would not drop free. The only mag that dropped free was the one seven rounder they provided with the pistol.

The culprit was a sear spring that was bent too far into the mag opening which ended up rubbing up against the back of most mags.

I replaced the sear spring with a Wolff sear spring and all the mags that i have are now dropping free.

I don't know if your having the same problem i had experienced. I hope this helps.