PDA

View Full Version : heads-up! - P&R'd S&W 27-2 on gunbroker in CA

trashman
02-21-2007, 6:25 AM
...title says it all. It looks in good shape (of course you can't tell if it's been refinished or not) and comes with a scope and ugly...er I mean fancy hogue wood grips.

I'd be all over for a PPT but I don't have room for an 8 3/8" in my safe....

--Neill

Mr. Beretta
02-21-2007, 7:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up!:)

QuarterBoreGunner
02-21-2007, 3:15 PM
Linky to auction. (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66406663)

I just PM'd the seller to see if he's interested in FTF PPT. It looks nice, not interested in the scope or the Hogues, but I do love those N-frame .357s. I'll post what he says.

Franksremote
02-21-2007, 3:21 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=800231 this guy's local and will do f2f ppts in Walnut Creek. Bought a few guns from him at a really good price.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-21-2007, 3:34 PM
Ok, the seller just replied to my PM; he willing to do a FTF PPT and has a dealer in Martinez that he uses.

I'm kicking it around in my head, but it's wide open right now.

kurac
02-21-2007, 4:32 PM
27-2 nice condition $550
Leopold Scope $200
Base and rings maybe $75
Total $825

The starting bid sounds like a good deal to me. People in other parts of the country will not jump on this due to the 8" barrel and $550 not being a good price for them to begin with.

trashman
02-21-2007, 8:00 PM
Agreed -- could do without the scope and grips; my 27 is just a 6" but it seems like I knock over a couple of lamps whenever it comes out of the safe. Somehow my 16" OLL feels more compact than an 8 3/8" N Frame.

Still...these suckers are scarce. As I've gotten more into the older Smiths, I finally understood what the Cali gun list has done the the secondary market: every single in-cali non-listed gun becomes a trading chip for something else (not on the list) -- whether or not we want the gun or not. And it just drives the prices through the roof. Which, as many have pointed out, is essentially something the manufacturers want -- used guns to be as close in price as possible as the new (listed!) guns.

--Neill

maxicon
02-21-2007, 8:09 PM
Call me weird, but I like it like it is, long barrel, fancy grips, scope and all.

I'd bid on that puppy if it were 50 miles closer to home...

JAFGO
02-21-2007, 9:06 PM
Too bad that it has been drilled and tapped. That really drops the value of the gun itself. Just the gun itself in original condition is probably worth $500 in CA, but obviously it's not in original condition. But if you have been wanting a scoped 27 it's not a bad price.

If you are considering this gun, one thing to ask is if he has the original rear sight and original grips for it. Even if you're not interested in them for yourself, you could probably recoup $100 of your purchase price by selling the original parts on Ebay.

eckerph
02-21-2007, 9:57 PM
Thats not a bad price, i paid $500 NIB for 6.5 inch 27-2. Mine has been very accurate and these model 27's are just plain nice.

kurac
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I would be interested if it were a 5" or even a 4" but since I have the elusive 3.5" model 27, I don't feel a lot of pressure to get another one unless it is pristine.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/KuracBoban/Wood-Pile2001.jpg

CALI-gula
02-21-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't know if that gun is safe at all - the big yellow loaded chamber indicator is popped out, even though the cylinder is empty and open. Definitely a malfunction. At that rate, I wonder if the cylinder disconnect even works! What a rip-off!! :rolleyes:

I highly suggest nobody bid on it. It just can't be safe.

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/066406000/66406663/pix3349433362.jpg

QuarterBoreGunner
02-22-2007, 5:53 AM
^ ok that was funny.

Also I don't believe it's been drilled and tapped; I think it's the old B-Square mount that replaces the rear sight without altering the gun permanently.

Mr. Beretta
02-22-2007, 6:54 AM
If it was in San Diego, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)

trashman
02-22-2007, 3:11 PM
Huh....it never occured to me that the 27 wasn't drilled/tapped by the factory. Were any of the 27s drilled and tapped by S&W?

--Neill

QuarterBoreGunner
02-22-2007, 3:21 PM
Were any of the 27s drilled and tapped by S&W?

I'd have to check the book to be sure; but I'm fairly confident that they stopped making the Model 27 by the time they started drilling and tapping their large frame revolvers at the factory; when they went to the rounded front of the rear sight assembly.

If I recall, that was around, uhm...1996 or so?

ivanimal
02-22-2007, 7:14 PM
Chris I will buy the scope and mount from you if you buy the gun. That way you have to come over the house.:D

QuarterBoreGunner
02-22-2007, 7:46 PM
Oh man... thanks Ivan!... I'm trying to find out now how hard it would be to find a correct rear sight... dammit! do I really need another 8 3/8" M27?

Who am I kidding, of course I do.

ivanimal
02-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Here if you need me!:D

CalNRA
02-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I would be interested if it were a 5" or even a 4" but since I have the elusive 3.5" model 27, I don't feel a lot of pressure to get another one unless it is pristine.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/KuracBoban/Wood-Pile2001.jpg

I'm not a big revolver person but, Dude....

QuarterBoreGunner
02-23-2007, 5:58 AM
Here's the problem; I can replace the Hogue's with a set of nice set of factory N-frame Magnas that I have, but replacing that rear sight assembly might be difficult;
see that vintage of M27 have a very nice, finely checkered top strap, and that checkering continues onto the rear sight - check out this pic of the 8 3/8" M27 I already have:
http://www.pacificapocalypse.com/online_assets/M27_topstrap.jpg

So I'd need to find a correct rear sight that matches... still thinking about it.

D1911
02-23-2007, 6:15 AM
[QUOTE=JAFGO]Too bad that it has been drilled and tapped. That really drops the value of the gun itself. Just the gun itself in original condition is probably worth $500 in CA, but obviously it's not in original condition. But if you have been wanting a scoped 27 it's not a bad price.

J&G Gunsmithing in Roseville recently sold an 8 3/8" Model 27 in decent condition for $900!!! I love big N frames, but in this state, the prices have gone nuts.......

kurac
02-23-2007, 6:59 AM
The last 8" model 27-2 I saw sold for $675 but I guess that was over a year ago.

maxicon
02-23-2007, 7:55 AM
So I'd need to find a correct rear sight that matches... still thinking about it.

People post requests for older rear site assys on S&W forum sometimes, but they can be pretty durned expensive when they show up. I don't know anywhere you can buy them - Numrich doesn't have them.

I'm thinking about bidding on this one, but it's because I like it as-is, and it should be less expensive in its current non-collectible form. Restoring it would be a bit expensive, between the grips and rear sight.

This is the real function of The List - drive down availability and drive up prices of used guns in California...

kurac
02-23-2007, 8:29 AM
E-mail the seller and ask him if he has the rear sight, or look on flea bay

QuarterBoreGunner
02-23-2007, 8:34 AM
I spoke to the seller; he does not have the rear sight assembly.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Spoke to the seller again and he was able answer a final question for me which was the deciding factor for me in NOT getting this.

Unfortunately for collectors, the frame HAS been drilled and tapped for the scope mount; the seller was kind enough to remove it, take some pictures and send them to me to confirm it.

A shame (for me as a collector) as it's a very nice piece with little wear that I could see.

So there you go.

trashman
02-26-2007, 8:23 PM
Yeah, I guess having it drilled aftermarket does kinda kill it off as an interesting piece. I have a hard time with that kind of perfectionist impulse (in myself) when it comes to guns -- principally because I like to *shoot* them, not just collect them.

Any yet, in the end - the greatness of the 27 is that it hearkens to another age, and somehow it hurts a little to see one permanently modified afterwards.

--Neill

maxicon
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I picked this one up from the auction, and we just did the transfer over at TargetMasters.

It's a beautiful gun, and I don't have any regrets. Very nice condition, tight lockup, looks like not many rounds through it, and the scope is very clean. The trigger's not as sweet as my 586-1, but it's set up as a hog gun, and I figure most people don't want extra-light triggers on hunting guns. I may fiddle with the springs to get it down a bit, but it's not a high priority.

I've got the identical Leupold M8 2x scope NIB in my safe, so I may sell it to offset the cost a bit. That'll get me $160 or so, and the net cost on the gun will be $400, which is a good price for any fine .357 magnum revolver. Heck, it's getting hard to find a clean older Model 36 in California for that much!

I'll keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced non-correct rear sight, as it's really pretty chunky with the Leupold on there. I may hang a red dot on it for a while, for grins and giggles - I've got a spare Ultradot that would go perfectly.

It may not be a collectible, but it's a clean, affordable P&R Model 27, and how many of those do you see in California? I wouldn't have been able to afford it if it were unmolested, thanks to this piranha pack of S&W collectors hanging out here!:)

Finally, the seller's a good guy, and I appreciate him coming down to TM to do the transfer.

I love the big old .357s. I'm looking forward to my 11 days (new TM policy), and will post back with results.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
piranha pack of S&W collectors hanging out here! Ha! I resemble that remark!

Well I'm glad that it worked out all way round. Congratulations on the sale and to the seller.

Anothr Calguns success story.

jlbflyboy172
02-28-2007, 2:52 PM
Thanks for the Kudos Maxicon. It was nice doing business with you. Us good guys are getting fewer in numbers all the time and we have to stick together and look out for one another. Thanks QuarterboreGunner for introducing me to this site. Like the previous poster said, yet another Calguns success story! Thanks guys ( and gals).

JB

maxicon
02-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Dang. I can't believe I forgot to thank Trashman for pointing this gun out in the first place.

My safe thanks you, but my wallet is mad...

trashman
03-01-2007, 7:04 AM
Dang. I can't believe I forgot to thank Trashman for pointing this gun out in the first place.

My safe thanks you, but my wallet is mad...

My pleasure :)...my thanks to you for "taking one for the team". A *lot* of wallets (and wives, probably) are much happier....

Having a 27 you can shoot is a joy --- I can't imagine having one just to look at....

--Neill