PDA

View Full Version : Canning whole turkeys

problemchild
11-11-2011, 5:11 AM
Fresh N Easy has whole turkeys on sale for .59c per pound, no purchase necessary. I figured I would can up 6-12 turkeys in the next few weeks. Yesterday I baked a 17lb turkey and canned it up as a practice run. I was surprised a 17lb turkey fit into 8 pints.

I have seen videos on youtube boiling the turkeys first but Im thinking that would give you mushy meat. The baking and canning seems to yield a firmer meat.

The process is: (use this time/temp/elevation/recipe) (http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn188.pdf)

Wash jars
Boil jars 10 minutes to sterilize
boil lids
debone turkey meat
boil broth ( I used chicken broth and water 50-50)
pack jars 1-1/4inch headspace
add salt
add boiling broth 1-1/4inch headspace
can meat (use above link for times, pressure)
cool jars 24 hours

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/canner/turkey/turkey%20001.jpg

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/canner/turkey/turkey%20002.jpg

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/canner/turkey/turkey%20003.jpg

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/canner/turkey/turkey%20004.jpg

MFortie
11-11-2011, 8:48 AM
Did you try it after canning to see how the meat turned out?

redrex
11-11-2011, 9:45 AM
Yeah, I'd be interested to see what the texture was like after canning.

h0use
11-11-2011, 11:20 AM
thats looks good!

Got Stuff?
11-11-2011, 11:31 AM
I've had a number of meats canned this way and its pretty good. I especially like smoked salmon canned like this!

problemchild
11-11-2011, 11:43 AM
OK I popped one jar open and ate the turkey for lunch. It feeds two hungry people with rice as a side dish. The meat is firm in texture just like you cut it off a baked bird, no mushiness at all. The taste even reflects the baked taste flavor. This is a winner. GTG!

I used swanson chicken broth (50-50 water added) with extra onion powder, garlic powder and kosier salt added to pack the jars.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/canner/turkey/turkey%20006.jpg

Steve1968LS2
11-11-2011, 1:20 PM
What would the shelf life be? I assume it wouldn't need refrigeration.. hmmm

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
11-11-2011, 1:28 PM
that looks great. good job!

problemchild
11-11-2011, 1:39 PM
What would the shelf life be? I assume it wouldn't need refrigeration.. hmmm

Probably figure 1-4 years declining. But you eat and rotate and reuse the jars. Its about 1-2 hours work per 2 birds. Screw the dehydrated meats.

scarville
11-11-2011, 1:50 PM
Good information. I want to start canning meats when they are cheap and turkeys go on sale every year about this time.

problemchild
11-11-2011, 2:51 PM
Good information. I want to start canning meats when they are cheap and turkeys go on sale every year about this time.

Only two canners I would look at. All American 921/930. 921 does single stack qts or dual stack pints. 930 does dual stack qts and 3 stack pints. 930 is huge! Pints feed two to three people and quarts fee 3+ people.

gatesbox
11-11-2011, 3:03 PM
So I just saw online that they jar raw (cold) bird as well.....this is simply an ignorant question, but when you jar raw bird do you cook it when it comes out? Or is it somehow cured in the jarring process like

Sorry I'm just uninformed and had not thought about jarring meat yet...

Got Stuff?
11-11-2011, 3:04 PM
Only two canners I would look at. All American 921/930. 921 does single stack qts or dual stack pints. 930 does dual stack qts and 3 stack pints. 930 is huge! Pints feed two to three people and quarts fee 3+ people.

I like using wide mouth quart jars myself for this type of stuff. Smaller jars for spices and such.

Kid Stanislaus
11-11-2011, 3:48 PM
I try to avoid salt due to high blood pressure. Is there a way to can it without salt?

chewy352
11-11-2011, 6:08 PM
PC

You should really start your own blog so all your adventures are in one place. The wife and I are going to start canning and basic self sufficient living and your post make it all seem less scary. Thanks for sharing.

Calplinker
11-11-2011, 6:32 PM
Probably figure 1-4 years declining. But you eat and rotate and reuse the jars. Its about 1-2 hours work per 2 birds. Screw the dehydrated meats.

You are a machine when it comes to this stuff!!!

The "wet stuff" certainly tastes better, but of course comes at the price of weight and shelf life.

+1 on your point about rotating. Too few of us do this as well as we should.

77bawls
11-11-2011, 7:43 PM
So I just saw online that they jar raw (cold) bird as well.....this is simply an ignorant question, but when you jar raw bird do you cook it when it comes out? Or is it somehow cured in the jarring process like

It cooks during the canning process. You basically cook the jars for 45 minutes or so, cooking the contents in the process.

problemchild
11-11-2011, 8:41 PM
I try to avoid salt due to high blood pressure. Is there a way to can it without salt?

Yes salt is just a spice its not needed for canning.

problemchild
11-11-2011, 8:43 PM

I can at 15lbs pressure and if you look at the gauge you can see what temp that is. This batch was 65 minutes long.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/canner/turkey/gauge2.jpg

Dubious_Beans
11-12-2011, 6:22 AM
Awesome!

Did you boil up that carcass to make turkey broth for canning the next batch?

problemchild
11-12-2011, 6:51 AM
Awesome!

Did you boil up that carcass to make turkey broth for canning the next batch?

I have had the worst luck with the gut area of turkeys. I cant tell you how many times I have got some small dose of food poisoning from contact with the gut. I wont stuff a turkey or use the carcass for anything.

Dubious_Beans
11-12-2011, 7:11 AM
Hmm. That sucks.

My wife boils up turkey carcasses for broth once in a while and we've never had any trouble that we know of. Makes for great soup.

PlacerTactical
11-20-2011, 8:57 PM
I can at 15lbs pressure and if you look at the gauge you can see what temp that is. This batch was 65 minutes long.

All the directions I have says to can boneless meat either cold or hot pack a 10lbs for 90 min for 0ft elevation.
Do you have other info that says different?

I just did chicken and rabbit and it turned out great. I bbq'd with salt and pepper first then canned them in chicken broth, they turned out fantastic. Nice to not have the fat or gelatin I get with a cold pack.

problemchild
11-21-2011, 8:21 AM
Quarts are 90 mins. Pints are less. The info I had said 15lbs for 65 mins. I looked and see others say 10lbs for 75 mins. I changed the OP.

All the directions I have says to can boneless meat either cold or hot pack a 10lbs for 90 min for 0ft elevation.
Do you have other info that says different?

I just did chicken and rabbit and it turned out great. I bbq'd with salt and pepper first then canned them in chicken broth, they turned out fantastic. Nice to not have the fat or gelatin I get with a cold pack.

SVRider
11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I was surprised a 17lb turkey fit into 8 pints.

PC....any idea how many pounds of meat net?

I'm surprised too that it would fit in 1 gallon of space (including liquid).