PDA

View Full Version : Selling OLL

AudiA
02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I have a extra OLL that I would like to sell. Is there any "special" precautions that I should take when selling to a private party? I know Metroshot makes you sign an affidavit saying they are not responsible for the way you build the lower, I dont blame them.
I was thinking about installing a lpk with a bullet button prior to the dross and having the party sign a document stating what they are recieving. Knowing that removal of the maglock without removing the pg is illegal. I guess if SHTF and they trace it back to me as the person who sold the lower I can show proof that it did have a lock and the buyer acknowlaged it.
Any input you guys could give me is greatly welcome. Thank all of you in advance! Calguns is the best forum bar far...

grammaton76
02-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Well, it's going to go through an FFL anyway, so you shouldn't have to be too worried. If CA allowed face-to-face sales, I'd be a bit more concerned about "doing it right".

gunrun45
02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm kinda interested in this one too. I'm thinking of putting my OLL up for trade in the sales section for a FN five seven.
Even though it would be going to someone here, I'm a little on edge at the thought...

AudiA
02-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Yea... I think it would be noted in the FFL notes,no? I think I'll just build it up and sell it like that, it'll even save the buyer some time later from having to assemble the lock and lpk.

fun2none
02-21-2007, 12:21 AM
I would suggest that you provide stripped lower to the dealer processing the transfer. Do not install any parts.

Stanky626
02-21-2007, 6:37 AM
just sell it the same way you bought it... stripped. i'd recommend going through an ffl that sells oll's. that ways there's no hassles.

megavolt121
02-21-2007, 8:38 AM
Sell a stripped lower as is without any parts for two reasons.
1) Serial Numbers aren't put on the 4473 so its not traceable back to you. If they do find you, "Hey, I sold it at so and so date at so and so dealer, not my problem".
2) Liability. What happens if his rifle blows up? Sure its not really your fault, but some weasel liar could try to claim that you pounding a bullet button into the receiver weakened it and caused it to be destroyed. Even if you win the lawsuit, you lose in lawyer fees.

AudiA
02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Hmm... Megavolt and grammaton sound right. Its going through an FFL so that should be all the legalities taken care of right then and there. Thanks to all...

fun2none
02-21-2007, 1:43 PM
Sell a stripped lower as is without any parts for two reasons.
1) Serial Numbers aren't put on the 4473 so its not traceable back to you. If they do find you, "Hey, I sold it at so and so date at so and so dealer, not my problem".
2) Liability. What happens if his rifle blows up? Sure its not really your fault, but some weasel liar could try to claim that you pounding a bullet button into the receiver weakened it and caused it to be destroyed. Even if you win the lawsuit, you lose in lawyer fees.

Did you mean serial numbers are not recorded on the California DROS for long guns ? As far as I know, serial numbers are most definitely required on the 4473 form used to transfer a firearm to a non-FFL.

If you are really worried about liability, give the buyer a signed bill of sale stating that the receiver is 1) in compliance with sec 12276.1 (no evil features) at the time it was delivered to dealer, and 2) is being sold as is without any warranty.

thmpr
02-21-2007, 1:45 PM
Wouldnt it be on the FFL as well since the FFL acts as a check and balance type of role for the sale to be legal?