PDA

View Full Version : accuwedge with pinned mag?

swift
02-20-2007, 8:39 PM
Does anyone use an accuwedge on their AR? Does it move around when you split open the rifle to reload?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=698479

shinigami
02-20-2007, 8:45 PM
I have one in my AR, it stays put in the lower when I open it up, but it will eventually loosen up someday. I had mine for a about 6 months now, I've only had one incident where it fell off after I opened up the receiver.

I know some online stores sells them in a pack of 3.

James R.
02-20-2007, 8:52 PM
Does anyone use an accuwedge on their AR? Does it move around when you split open the rifle to reload?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=698479

It can make getting the upper and lower closed on each other a bear IMHO...

Regards,

James R.

shinigami
02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
It can make getting the upper and lower closed on each other a bear IMHO...

Regards,

James R.

You're right, it does take a bit of an effort to close the receiver. All I do is grip the lower and upper with my hand and I can push the takedown pin easily.

grammaton76
02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Works fine in my drop-mag MM-gripped AR. CMMG lower, shelf on the lower seems to be just perfectly right to keep it tight.

ocabj
02-21-2007, 5:24 AM
I tried the Accuwedge a few years ago, and frankly, I think it's wasted effort.

Just to get the receivers to close was a pain, and I thought it was too much effort on a fully configured AR. So I can't imagine how bad it is for a OLL rifle where you break it open every time to load it.

Even on my Service Rifle high power rifle, I don't bother with the Accuwedge or the JP Tension pin. The slight receiver play does not have any impact on accuracy.

If you have a severe receiver play, you can get it back down by replacing the pivot and takedown pins with new pins.

The way the Accuwedge works is that it actually puts tension forcing the receivers away from each other. You're not actually getting the upper and lower closer together. It's simply pushing or 'wedging' the receivers away from each while they are pinned together at the takedown pin, thus eliminating movement. The JP Tension Pin actually pulls the receivers closer together. I tried the JP Tension Pin, too, but I found it to awkward to use and hated having to use an allen wrench to open the rifle.

My opinion: forget the Accuwedge or JP Tension Pin. Don't worry about upper and receiver play.

swift
02-21-2007, 6:48 AM
I ordered one from Midway to see if it makes any difference. Now that I have it, I can't figure out where it is supposed to go. My best guess is that it goes forward of the rear takedown pin, fatter side down and the tail pointing up. I'm guessing this can't be right because there is only slight resistance to closing the upper.

I've heard from some people that this device is useful and others have said it is useless. I figured I'd try it on my target AR and see if it tightens my groups. (Based on the reviews on Midway, it should help, and the reviews are usually pretty accurate.)

ocabj
02-21-2007, 9:33 AM
It goes to the rear of the receiver.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/accuwedge.jpg

It won't accurize your rifle. It may give you more confidence in the rifle, which will help you keep mental focus and keep the groups tight. But it won't do anything to the rifle itself to make the rifle more accurate.

xenophobe
02-21-2007, 1:30 PM
It's a worthless piece of rubber.

FlexPlasmaRifle
02-21-2007, 2:03 PM
I got one thrown in when I bought a bunch of stuff at the Cow Palace show a few months back and I can't even get the damn thing to fit. The top of the wedge sticks out my lower about a 1/2 inch and the bottowm blocks the takedown pin hole. IMHO garbage, waste of time bs product

grammaton76
02-21-2007, 3:55 PM
I ordered one from Midway to see if it makes any difference. Now that I have it, I can't figure out where it is supposed to go. My best guess is that it goes forward of the rear takedown pin, fatter side down and the tail pointing up. I'm guessing this can't be right because there is only slight resistance to closing the upper.

Got an article with installation directions for ya. But, I agree that the only thing it does is improve the feel of your rifle. No real impact on handling.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ProcInstallAccuWedge

alpha_romeo_XV
02-21-2007, 4:33 PM
I think its more about manufacturing tolerances not "every AR needs an accuwedge". With Mil Spec parts things hopefully at least go together but there is always some dimensional +/-. I have a few uppers and lowers and tried each combo to see if they all fit. A little loose is better than too tight. On one upper/lower combo I could barely get the rear pin in. This could be a problem during a rapid fire when heat is transferred and causes expansion and puts more strain on the receiver. If you back light your mated receivers against a bright light you want to be able to see a sliver of light inbetween them. Thats my story and I'm stickn to it.

James R.
02-21-2007, 5:31 PM
The proper solution is the one JP Custom sells. It's a rear take down pin replacement that forces the upper and lower together as opposed to forcing them apart like the accuwedge does. It is however a lot more expensive...

If anyone tries to tell you that a sloppy lower to upper fit won't affect accuracy you should shut your ears to them because they clearly don't understand the basic mechanics. Anything which would allow the entire upper receiver and barrel assy to rock back onto the lower is detrimental to accuracy because the muzzle will be allowed to jump upward.

Regards,

James R.

swift
02-21-2007, 6:06 PM
Thanks for the installation pictures. When I tried to install it as in the pictures, it was in the way of the take down pin, that's why I thought it needed to go further forward. I'll try it again, and if it doesn't work, I'll shelve it.
Maybe I'll offer it for sale in the FS forum :)

FlexPlasmaRifle
02-21-2007, 7:03 PM
Thanks for the installation pictures. When I tried to install it as in the pictures, it was in the way of the take down pin, that's why I thought it needed to go further forward. I'll try it again, and if it doesn't work, I'll shelve it.
Maybe I'll offer it for sale in the FS forum :)

Same thing with mine.. Don't know why but don't really need anyways