PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 takedown pin trouble

StrangeBrew
02-20-2007, 7:02 PM
The takedown pin on my AR will not budge when I press it and I have to loosen the stock and take out the spring and detent to remove the rear pin. I followed the assembly guide over at AR15.com and I am pretty sure I did everything correctly. I put the detent in, followed by the spring, then the takedown pin. I have fooled around with it for about an hour now and still cant get it working.

The upper and lower is CMMG and I used a STAG parts kit if that helps any.

Any ideas?

Scope
02-20-2007, 7:08 PM
On one of my builds the takedown pin was tight enough that I had to use a punch and hammer to get it out. It has loosened up a little bit.

If the pin fits fine without the spring and detent in then you could try clipping the spring a little bit. That should loosed in up.

rix
02-20-2007, 7:45 PM
Try a little grease , smear a dab in the takedown pin groove. Worked fer me!

Socal858
02-20-2007, 7:50 PM
press your upper and lower receiver together and give it a poke, should come out easy

five.five-six
02-20-2007, 7:50 PM
on inital assymbly round the tip of the detent pin with sand paper and use the grease. work it in and out a few times at home to be sure and in a pinch in the field you can use a bullet tip to push it out (no hammer!)

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 7:59 PM
Try this:
Make sure the takedown pin and reciever hole are damp, but not dripping with lubricant.

Grasp the pistol grip with the fingers of your left hand.

At the same time grasp the buttstock with the web of your right hand just behind the charging handle.

Press down on the takedown pin with the fingernails of both thumbs until it depresses as far below the surface of the receiver as you can press it.

Pull out the head of the takedown pin.

bwiese
02-20-2007, 8:01 PM
Try this:
Make sure the takedown pin and reciever hole are damp, but not dripping with lubricant.

Grasp the pistol grip with the fingers of your left hand.

At the same time grasp the buttstock with the web of your right hand just behind the charging handle.

Press down on the takedown pin with the fingernails of both hands until it depresses as far below the surface of the receiver as you can press it.

Pull out the head of the takedown pin.

But Ted, that wouldn't do anything to harm the receivers!

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 8:20 PM
Instead of "fingernails of both hands", that should be "fingernails of both thumbs".
But Ted, that wouldn't do anything to harm the receivers!
True, but there's no need to accelerate the "natural" wear of the bearing surfaces.

thmpr
02-20-2007, 8:35 PM
Don't recommend filing..... I used Slip 2000 and a gentle tap with a rubber mallet (Back and forth) until it freed up.

azndmd
02-20-2007, 10:38 PM
press your upper and lower receiver together and give it a poke, should come out easy

are we still talking gun stuff here?:p

DedEye
02-21-2007, 1:35 AM
I used the rear takedown pin to wear down the detent. Without an upper and with the stock first uninstalled, then installed, I worked the rear takedown pin back and forth with the detent sitting on top of it. I just kept going back and forth at least a hundred times. The only lubricant I used was CLP. When I finally got ahold of an upper to use it with I had some resistance at first from the takedown pin, but after firing a few rounds it was as easy to move as it was without the upper installed.

Socal858
02-21-2007, 1:43 AM
are we still talking gun stuff here?:p

as long as my wise words help you wiht SOMETHING, i will consider it sound advice :D

jester
02-21-2007, 8:39 AM
Has anyone used the KNS precision ball-lock rear take-down pins?
I saw them yesterday on their website and it looks interesting.
I was wondering if they work as good as they look?