PDA

View Full Version : Chabot (Castro Valley) shoot 12/17-18

PurplePeople
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
The upcoming Appleseed shoot at Chabot Gun Club is almost sold out, so if you're intending to go, time to jump on it.

(If the weather is nasty, we will shoot from under cover, where posts/benches restrict the firing line space. If the weather is good, the firing line will be in the open and we may be able to take a few walk-ons.)

Twiggz
11-19-2011, 3:14 AM
I'll be there on sat. :D

Eljay
11-22-2011, 7:30 AM
I don't know if they had a big cancellation, or if they just increased the limit but it just jumped back up - there's 7 slots open as of now if anybody was thinking of going but couldn't.

LaLa
12-01-2011, 6:47 PM
All sold out now, had to register for the Sacramento one for the same weekend. :(

Eljay
12-02-2011, 2:02 PM
Speaking of which, I see 2012 dates are appearing on the registration page... but not for Chabot. I thought I saw somewhere the dates were already reserved but can't find it now - if we could get the registration up or failing that if somebody could let me know the dates for the Feb and April shoots so I could get those on my calendar I'd appreciate it.

PurplePeople
12-05-2011, 4:55 PM
There will be AppleSeed shoots at Chabot in 2012. Schedule is the same: 3d weekends in even numbered months. Dates will be officially posted as soon as the inevitable paper work is done, but it's safe to put them on your calendar.

(We're lobbying for more dates and/or expand to range 5, but really that depends on some other activity canceling - Chabot is heavily booked.)

Eljay
12-05-2011, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the dates!

tooj
12-12-2011, 8:56 PM
yay! i registered early, so i'll be going! :]

just picked up my very first gun, a marlin 795, from Dom's in livermore to get myself out this weekend. only thing is, i'm SUCH a newb (zero shooting experience) that i don't even know how to properly prepare it/me for saturday. should i clean it? (and how exactly would i do that?) :helpsmilie:

i've just ordered the tech sights & extra mags, but i'm not sure if they'll arrive by this weekend, so i might just have to go with stock sights and one mag... eeep.

anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

steph

Eljay
12-12-2011, 9:26 PM
tooj: The manual should say how to field strip it and where it needs to be lubricated. Usually with a new gun it's a good idea, and often there's some kind of preservative on there to clean off.

I did a quick search and found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StiaM6Aoblk

Worst case there will be a lot of 795s there and maybe you can charm somebody into lending you one. I know I brought a ton of 10/22 magazines.

Do you have the other stuff, like a carpet remnant or something to lie on?

Other folks: A couple of December slots opened up - must have had a cancellation. Weather's supposed to be good. I thought about going, but I have something booked. Luckily the 2012 dates are up now so I booked for April!

Eljay
12-19-2011, 8:10 AM
The AAR is up: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26790.0

Sounds like a great weekend!

PurplePeople
12-19-2011, 5:52 PM
A great shoot! We had 11 riflemen out of 44 shooters!

The only frustration was the number of no-shows on Sunday. The schedule showed us as 'full', but in fact we could have taken 10 walk-ons that day. This unfortunately seems to be a pattern, but the moral of the story may be that Calgunners would have a pretty good chance off being able to walk-on for Sundays at Chabot even if the shoot is nominally sold out. (No guarantees, of course.)

For February's shoot (which is now on the schedule) I'm having to cut down the slots available by 8. That's due to the high chance of bad weather, which would cause us to move the firing line under cover and have to give up some space to benches and posts. I'll repost this in a fresh thread when time gets closer, but here's a tip: If the weather's looking good a few days in advance of the shoot, we'll add those slots back into the reservation system and I'll simultaneously post that news on this board.

Twiggz
12-20-2011, 7:26 PM
I had a great time at my first Appleseed. I've been raving about it to my friends and can't wait for the next one. Although for my next Appleseed I'll sign up for both days and I think I'll leave my old bolt action at home. Time to pick up a 10/22 :)