PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a 6.8mm SPC

Ken4
02-20-2007, 4:05 PM
Okay, went out to the range and had a fantastic time taking my 6.8mm SPC out on her first maiden voyage. Much more accurate than I thought. :p

So the question I have now is what size bore brush and jag do I use to clean the rifle? I could not find a 6.8mm bore brush or jag. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ocabj
02-20-2007, 4:08 PM
A jag for 6.5mm will probably work the best. Brushes for 7mm would be better than a 6.5mm brush.

-hanko
02-20-2007, 4:10 PM
Okay, went out to the range and had a fantastic time taking my 6.8mm SPC out on her first maiden voyage. Much more accurate than I thought. :p

So the question I have now is what size bore brush and jag do I use to clean the rifle? I could not find a 6.8mm bore brush or jag. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Only about 0.008" difference in bore diameter v. 7mm. If the jag is too tight with your patch, a little file or sandpaper work will fix it. .270 tools are about 0.010" larger. Perfect choice might be a 7mm or .270 brush and 6.5 mm jag with 2 patches if you need the extra thickness;)

-hanko

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 4:11 PM
Use implements for.270 caliber (6.8mm SPC ammo uses 0.277" diameter projectiles, which are typically used in .270 cal cartridges). I use the same one piece Dewey rod I use for my .30 cal rifles. I use patches for 6mm.

Ken4
02-20-2007, 4:19 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Fortunately, I have a .270 borebrush and jag at home. So I guess I'll be doing some cleaning tonight. :D

ChuckG
02-20-2007, 4:22 PM
Use implements for.270 caliber (6.8mm SPC ammo uses 0.277" diameter projectiles, which are typically used in .270 cal cartridges). I use the same one piece Dewey rod I use for my .30 cal rifles. I use patches for 6mm.

I do the same... with exception I use the .270 VRF pellets in place of patches. Also.. the nice folks out at http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/ will make you a custom bore guide if they don't already have one in stock.

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 4:31 PM
I do the same... with exception I use the .270 VRF pellets in place of patches. Also.. the nice folks out at http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/ will make you a custom bore guide if they don't already have one in stock. I've tried the pellets. They work well, but they're pretty pricey at $7.15 for 50 pellets from Brownell's.

Was your Possum Hollow machined from Delrin rod? When I put together my 6.8 upper I called Sinclair to see if they would make a custom bore guide for 6.8 SPC. I was told the material they used couldn't be machined thin enough. Then again this was mid-2005.

Wound up ordering the bore guide sold by MSTN for $60.

ChuckG
02-20-2007, 4:47 PM
I've tried the pellets. They work well, but they're pretty pricey at $7.15 for 50 pellets from Brownell's.

Was your Possum Hollow machined from Delrin rod? When I put together my 6.8 upper I called Sinclair to see if they would make a custom bore guide for 6.8 SPC. I was told the material they used couldn't be machined thin enough. Then again this was mid-2005.

Wound up ordering the bore guide sold by MSTN for $60.

Yes.. made of delrin I believe. It is black plastic stuff.

I had no idea anyone made them for a 6.8 SPC rifle so when I found out that Possum Hollow would, I was pretty happy. I believe he asked me for $25 for the item.. which is perfect in every way. I sent him $40 because I was impressed with the work and his customer service.