PDA

View Full Version : Any reload recipe for 30-cal rifle reduce-load

tteng
02-20-2007, 1:04 PM
I want to try reloading reduced-load for my 30-cal rifles (308, 30-06, 7.5Swiss) w/ pistol powder for 100yrd plinking, first to save rifle wear & tear and second to reduce recoil (better to introduce large-cal rifle to my 11yr-old son). I have both Unique and titegroup powders and 150gr FMJ. Any good recipes?

sargenv
02-20-2007, 1:44 PM
If it's reduced loads you want, you may want to invest in reduced load powder (SR 4759) as it is made to be a bulky rifle powder that fills the case without pushing full powder loads and keeps the danger of double or triple charging a very fast pistol powder that will blow up your rifle.. I would also reccomend that you pick up a manual for loading cast lead bullets, they tend to give load data for reduced power loads.

Vince

Whitesmoke
02-20-2007, 2:04 PM
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/size_061305/

Pthfndr
02-20-2007, 6:32 PM
and keeps the danger of double or triple charging a very fast pistol powder that will blow up your rifle.

I have to agree with this. Even if you are a VERY experienced reloader, using pistol powders is a good way injure yourself or someone else.

You want a reduced load with low recoil? Get good reloading manuals and use a starting load and light bullets.

buffybuster
02-20-2007, 7:45 PM
The best reduced rifle loads that I have found, to shoot LEAD bullets, is IMR TrailBoss. I believe there is load data on their website. The powder is so bulky you get decent fill, so you can immediately tell if you double charged.

The powder was originally developed for Cowboy Action shooting, but it also works well in this application.

sargenv
02-21-2007, 6:53 AM
Actually, I forgot all about Trailboss. It's a newer powder made for large pistol cases, I can see it getting used in reduced rifle loads also. I need to get some of this stuff and try it out.

Vince

tteng
02-21-2007, 9:39 AM
For bullet, can you shoot regular jacketed bullet at ~1300 fps. I'd rather skip the lead bullet because of barrel leading. My second option will be Berry's plated jacket bullet (30-cal, 150gr for 30-30) which can tolerate upto 1700 fps, again w/ reduced-load.

buffybuster
02-21-2007, 6:43 PM
tteng,

I wouldn't use conventionally jacketed bullets with TrailBoss. Plated is probably OK. The reason being that with TrailBoss the pressures are pretty low and the velocities are around 1000-1200fps. With pressures and velocities that low, there is a definite chance of sticking a jacketed bullet in the bore. Jacketed bullets are much harder to engrave than lead. At the velocities I'm speaking of (1000-1200fps) leading has never been a problem. No gaschecks either. It actually seems to lap the bore smoother.

For me, once you get above 1600fps, that's not really a reduced load since that's getting into 30-30 territory.

Shoot Safe

-hanko
02-23-2007, 5:14 PM
I want to try reloading reduced-load for my 30-cal rifles (308, 30-06, 7.5Swiss) w/ pistol powder for 100yrd plinking, first to save rifle wear & tear and second to reduce recoil (better to introduce large-cal rifle to my 11yr-old son). I have both Unique and titegroup powders and 150gr FMJ. Any good recipes?
Classic load for C&R rifles around .30 cal is 8gr Unique. Velocity will not be high enough to cause leading with hard cast bullets.

Pay attention to what you're doing, avoid distractions. There's obviously the possibility of a double load, but it's there anyway if you reload pistol.

-hanko