PDA

View Full Version : Care and feeding of your rifles...

xtalpimp
02-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I am happy to see everyone getting freaky with thier OLL builds, but I got a question for you guys. What and where are you getting the ammo to feed your new toys?

I am having a hard time finding 7.62x51 for decent prices. A couple years ago I bought some portugese nato headstamped stuff that was cheap and good but I can't seem to find any more of the stuff.

I am not a fan of the south african stuff as they are not NATO cross approved and the sample battle packs that I have bought in 5.56 have really soft brass cases that my FAL and USR extractors rip through leaving a stuck case in the chamber. I have not tried the south african 7.62x51. Maybe I got a sucky pack, maybe you guys can tell me different as i only shot one plastic pack.

If anyone has the hook up on NATO headstamped 5.56 and 7.62 I would be happy to hear about where to buy the stuff.

Failing that if you know of good commercial ammo for good prices please let me know!

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I am not a fan of the south african stuff as they are not NATO cross approved and the sample battle packs that I have bought in 5.56 have really soft brass cases that my FAL and USR extractors rip through leaving a stuck case in the chamber. The reason SA milsurp doesn't carry the NATO cross is because 55 gr ammo like XM193 and the is not the NATO standard.

Plus, SOUTH AFRICA has never been a part of the NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANIZATION. That might have little bearing.

ETA: Most of the SA milsurp 5.56 is from the 1980's. During that decade there was a trade embargo in place. SA was manufacturing it's own ammunition for internal use. Also the FN developed SS109 projectile wasn't adopted as the NATO standard until the 1980's

M855 does meet the NATO standard, which is based around the 62 gr SS109 projectile.

oaklander
02-20-2007, 12:59 PM
SOG just had some 7.62/.308 in their dealer catalog - I didn't see it on their site - but you might want to give them a call - http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo.htm

It was NATO marked.

Charliegone
02-20-2007, 1:04 PM
Yeah I know how you feel man...been trying to find some cheap surplus ammo to unload, but can't seem to find anything decent. I have seen on J&G they have Indian 7.62x51..but from what I hear it isn't very reliable. Wolf and Silver bear are completely out (btw I will use it in my Saiga) everywhere I go...:(

xtalpimp
02-20-2007, 2:02 PM
[QUOTE=Technical Ted]The reason SA milsurp doesn't carry the NATO cross is because 55 gr ammo like XM193 and the is not the NATO standard.

I am seeking sources of NATO head stamped ammo OR good commerical loads cheap.

55 grain M193 was the first NATO approved head stamp and it may show up in the surplus market. And yes it has been replaced by ss109 with a 62 grain bullet and I would be happy to buy it if you know of any for sale, which was the original reason for this post.

South african stuff is not part of NATO, I explicitly said they are not NATO approved, but it is to me a source of commercial ammo which in this case I have found to be of poor quality.

I would be interested in finding out if you know of a source of good cheap ammo Milsurp NATO preferred or good commerical cheap, rather than a history lesson we all know.

blacklisted
02-20-2007, 2:19 PM
It seems that cheap and 7.62X51 no longer belong in the same sentence. I would say the same about 5.56X45, and even 7.62X39. :(

Even surplus 7.62X51 seems to be approaching 50 cents a round, and it can only go up.

I just ordered a case of this to feed my FAL on its first trip to the range:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=366288

For some reason, it is steel jacketed.

I saw some Federal 7.62 (XM762D) not too long ago for 8.50 a box...but it was all purchased rather quickly.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6851&dir=

toolman9000
02-20-2007, 2:21 PM
Updated ammo pricing:

- 7.62x51 -
http://www.m14firinglineforum.com/upload/showthread.php?t=23308

- .556 -
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

Enjoy!

Omega13device
02-20-2007, 2:37 PM
Here's some Black Hills remanufactured .223, I just posted this in the ammo forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49801

bwiese
02-20-2007, 2:43 PM
If you're having problems with SA 308 ammo, take a look at your gun - too much gas, "overfunction", etc.

My AR10 and FAL work fine with them.

SA 5.56 and 7.62 ammo characteristics are likely independent and not linked: if you're unhappy with their 5.56 it doesn't make the 308 bad. (I've never shot their 5.56, but don't mind their 308).

Also, NATO cross really doesn't mean much either. That was on the lame-assed Brit Aerospace/Royal Ordnace ammo, which was downloaded for SA80 and is known to be problematic even in good ARs.

Avoid Indian 308 at all costs.

Technical Ted
02-20-2007, 3:11 PM
55 grain M193 was the first NATO approved head stampAbsolutley, 100%, wrong. M193 didn't even meet NATO expectations for the 5.56X45 cartridge. The adoption of the 62 gr SS109 projectile with penatrator was the motivating factor in the design of the M16A2 as replacement for the M6 and M16A1.

odysseus
02-20-2007, 3:26 PM
It seems that cheap and 7.62X51 no longer belong in the same sentence.

Agreed. You really have to dig in if you want to buy 7.62x51/.308. I have spent a small fortune on parts of my collection on this, and this still by shopping around the net. 1000 rounds of anything 7.62 is not going to feel like 5.56.

BTW - Myself and many others seem to have decent results with the surplus SA ammo. It all has been good enough quality for me. It is popular with surplus shooters too. As bweise said, avoid the Indian and Paki stuff.

-hanko
02-20-2007, 3:28 PM
I am seeking sources of NATO head stamped ammo OR good commerical loads cheap.

South african stuff is not part of NATO, I explicitly said they are not NATO approved, but it is to me a source of commercial ammo which in this case I have found to be of poor quality.

I would be interested in finding out if you know of a source of good cheap ammo Milsurp NATO preferred or good commerical cheap, rather than a history lesson we all know.
:rolleyes:
More of a few of us are looking for the same thing...ammo price updates are on the links above and also are sticky'd on arfcom's ammo forum. Prices there are as good as you'll get on the web; local dealer prices are typically more, sometimes a lot more.

I don't have a usr & therefore can't comment. As Bill writes, though, SA .308 should function no sweat in your fal. It does in all mine (5). Check your gas setting per the manual. If OK, hook a suitable cleaning brush to a cordless drill, wrap some 4/0 steel wool around the brush, and polish the chamber...poor/slow extraction may be your issue.

Only other obvious thing I can say is rat-hole some savings to catch ammo prices on the downside & order a ton. When a surplus load hits the country, best prices are usually at AIM Surplus, sometimes at Century. JG Sales also has good deals when you consider shipping charges.

hth

-hanko