PDA

View Full Version : Kirkland canned chicken breast (review)

problemchild
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I was astounded after opening the can and tasting the meat. This chicken is some of the best meat I have ever had let alone from a can. Nice big white chunks of chicken that can be eaten right out of the can. No need to cook, add water, wait 10 minutes etc. While tuna tends to have that metallic taste this chicken had none of the "off" taste to it. Just tasted like fresh chicken (almost).

Cons: Its not cheap.
Pros: Everything else, its that good.

The cans I have are 13oz so almost a pound of meat. I see now they are shorting them by 1/2oz like every other store.
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/51070b.jpg

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10181579&whse=bd_115&topnav=bd&cat=7050&hierPath=6221*&lang=en-US

cineski
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Didn't the Kirkland tuna just skyrocket in price? I haven't bought the chicken for quite a while so I can't comment on price fluctuations. What's the expiration date on these?

Librarian
11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I have both the beef and the chicken - dates seem to be 2 years or so. (Didn't mark date of purchase on these, because we buy them to use, not as emergency food. Just convenient, sometimes.)

sk8804
11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
the chicken is great. mix up some mayo, pepper, garlic powder, and dill weed in it and its freakin delicious.

11HE9
11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
the chicken is great. mix up some mayo, pepper, garlic powder, and dill weed in it and its freakin delicious.

X2 this ^^^

Good in a sandwich or on a cracker

gugoo
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I buy that chicken on a regular basis because I can't cook :D

jmzhwells
11-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Sometimes you can find the same stuff, obviously not kirkland, but its the same at Winco for $1 or so a can.

h0use
11-08-2011, 12:45 PM
good stuff!

Californio
11-08-2011, 3:08 PM
I have their Tuna, Chicken, Beef, Turkey and Salmon, which we rotate. Winter garden lettuce and salmon makes a killer salad.

Corbin Dallas
11-08-2011, 3:20 PM
Astounded! As in I was after opening the can and seeing as well as tasting the meat. This chicken is some of the best meat I have ever had let alone from a can. Nice big white chunks of chicken that can be eaten right out of the can. No need to cook, add water, wait 10 minutes etc. While tuna tends to have that metallic taste this chicken had none of the "off" taste to it. Just tasted like fresh chicken (almost).

Cons: Its not cheap.
Pros: Everything else, its that good.

The cans I have are 13oz so almost a pound of meat. I see now they are shorting them by 1/2oz like every other store.
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/51070b.jpg

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10181579&whse=bd_115&topnav=bd&cat=7050&hierPath=6221*&lang=en-US

I LOVE this stuff!!! I use this all the time to make snacks and sandwiches.

Mix in in with chili, top it on salads, bit o mayo & some mustard mixed well.

Dang, now I'm hungry...

problemchild
11-08-2011, 4:09 PM
I LOVE this stuff!!! I use this all the time to make snacks and sandwiches.

Mix in in with chili, top it on salads, bit o mayo & some mustard mixed well.

Dang, now I'm hungry...

How the heck do they make it so tender and flaky like solid white albacore in oil?

GunGreg2107
11-08-2011, 4:54 PM
I love that chicken, I buy it and add it to frozen skillet type meals just add it right into the skillet a few mins before its done

Ripon83
11-08-2011, 5:25 PM
Keep a close eye on expiration dates on Costco and Walmart. I've noticed both have been less than desirable just recently.

problemchild
11-08-2011, 5:41 PM
Keep a close eye on expiration dates on Costco and Walmart. I've noticed both have been less than desirable just recently.

Smart n Final had stuff expired for 3 months on the shelf.

Ripon83
11-08-2011, 5:47 PM
Actually I just started tracking things and watching last spring, and things went really short with the dates in the last 45 days at Costco and Walmart both. I was seriously bummed - most of the tuna I'd bought had 2 to 3 years and the last batch I wasn't watching and is scheduled to age out before the stuff I have in storage from last winter.

But thats' bad - smart and final. I gave them back my membership card in line years ago - they actually did call to ask why and I advised them to look at the security video footage of the clerks standing around BSing while we waited in line 10 minutes....I told them it'd only take one camera view.

Smart n Final had stuff expired for 3 months on the shelf.

ExAcHog
11-08-2011, 7:59 PM
We have been eating/loving that stuff for years! We use it as described above to make awesome chicken salad, as well as adding it to Bear Creek Soup Mix, to make killer soups! We keep at least 10 cans on hand as a minimum.
An added benefit...
After using the chicken, the cans make seriously great Buddy Burners! The extra size (over a tuna can) makes them produce ALOT more heat than the smaller tuna cans. They boil water much faster.

REPR
11-08-2011, 9:11 PM
Never tried it but sounds tasty, generally most stuff at costco is good to go. Cracks me up going in there to. Always seems to be old ladies loading all the free samples into their plastic container they brought from home. You just know they don't have to make food for the next 2 days, lol. Also as long as we're plugging costco, with thanksgiving coming up get a pumpkin pie from them. They're big, delicious, and inexpensive for the size and taste.

DasBoost
11-08-2011, 9:45 PM
My mom buys the 6 pack of the Kirkland Canned Chicken Breast. Swears by the stuff; uses it for everything. Works really well for making chicken salad and BBQ pulled chicken. Very good, although price has risen a good amount. :thumbsup:

problemchild
11-08-2011, 9:59 PM
We have been eating/loving that stuff for years! We use it as described above to make awesome chicken salad, as well as adding it to Bear Creek Soup Mix, to make killer soups! We keep at least 10 cans on hand as a minimum.
An added benefit...
After using the chicken, the cans make seriously great Buddy Burners! The extra size (over a tuna can) makes them produce ALOT more heat than the smaller tuna cans. They boil water much faster.

Awesome, making a buddy burner now out of the can. I almost threw it away.

Excitable Boy
11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
The Chicken is great and the canned Roast Beef is a steal! Both are high quality protein and good to cook with. These are staples for an extended pantry. If you check the price of canned Roast Beef at the local grocery store, if you can find it, you'll be shocked at the price of the Costco stuff in a good way. Also of note The grocery stores all seem to have shifted to 5 oz. cans of Tuna where Costco still seems to have 7 oz cans making them even a better value.

REPR
11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Awesome, making a buddy burner now out of the can. I almost threw it away.

You're starting to slip :D

TonyMang_89
11-09-2011, 6:42 AM
Used to get that all the time when I was shopping at Costco. Really good stuff, loved making chicken salad with it or wrapping it up in a tortilla with some ranch, cheese, lettuce etc.

cineski
11-11-2011, 6:16 AM
What exactly is the ultimate expiration of canned foods? Let's say SHTF and you find some canned food that's 6 months to a year expired. Still edible?

SamIAm
11-11-2011, 6:28 AM
What exactly is the ultimate expiration of canned foods? Let's say SHTF and you find some canned food that's 6 months to a year expired. Still edible?

Generally, yep. View the expiration dates as "best consumed by" dates rather than "you're gonna get sick if you eat it after that date." I don't know when cans go so bad, you might get sick. But a year expired isn't a big deal IMHO.

problemchild
11-11-2011, 6:57 AM

These cans were marked June-2014, but they wont last that long.

SVRider
11-11-2011, 7:28 AM
Try the canned salmon as well. Makes for a good tuna-alternative to make "salmon salad"

bob7122
11-11-2011, 7:43 AM
this type of canned tuna is delicious. I like to have it with boiled potatoes, green beans, and gravy.

BayAreaShooter
11-11-2011, 8:58 AM
I thought you were talking about this at first.

http://www.funnyawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Canned-Whole-Chicken.jpg

BuckleNose
11-12-2011, 7:24 AM
A container of Alfredo sauce and some ribbon egg-noodles and I'm in Heaven.