PDA

View Full Version : Stolen BoB

dave3223
11-08-2011, 8:47 AM
Recently, my car was broken into while I was at work and my BoB was stolen. Inside were a lot of beloved items, and I can only assume that someone around my job site had been watching my routine enough to know that I kept the backpack in there. As part of the items taken I lost a glock 19, some mags, bullet proof vest, large amount of cash, knife, leatherman, clothes, and other items (first aid supplies, personal hygiene items, etc.).

Upon being alerted to the matter by one of my employees, I immediately checked the car and saw that one of my rear windows was smashed and the backpack was the only item taken. Either the thieves did not have time to take anything else, or they knew exactly what they were going for. The sad thing is that I keep all of my items in the back of my truck covered by a large wool blanket (the black and grey german type) and my windows are darkened so to the average person you would not know what is back there.

All in all, there were some lessons learned however.

#1 I had to accept responsibility that whereas I tended to grab my bag out of my car and carry it into my office, I had become lazy and did not always follow though with doing this. Sad to say, it cost me big time. Don't make my mistake. Remember to take your bag out and keep it with you. From the time that I parked my car after getting office supplies for my employees, got into my office and took a phone call, and learned of my car being broken into only35 minutes had transpired.

#2 I also learned that I am pretty good at controlling my anger. Instead of being overly upset and angered, I chalked it up to the fault being my own. I can truly say that I had stashed $1127.00 in my bag (in mostly small bills with about $400.00 being in fifties and hundreds). Did this hurt to loose this, yes it did. However, I did not personally get hurt and it was only money.

#3 My recollection of my contents was pretty good. When the police officer arrived to take the report, he began asking me several questions of my contents. Although his eyebrows were raised more than a few times, I was able to provide clear descriptions of several things in my bag which even the officer commented he was imrpessed with my recollection.

#4 If you keep your BoB in your car, a car alarm is vital. I had disconected my car alarm recently due to my alarm constantly going off. Initially I thought that my alarm was too sensitive and thus I had it reprogrammed. However, I later learned that the alarm was not my problem but the problem was some maintenance issues which constantly caused my horn to sound as well as my alarm to go off while I was driving in rush hour :eek: :facepalm: In any regards this caused me to disconnect the alarm and I never got it reconnected.

#5 If possible, park your car in a location where it is in the midst of constant foot traffic or where it can constantly be observed. I failed to follow this advice and it cost me dearly.

Much of this seems common sense, however after becoming a bit complacent myself, I figured that I would post a bit of a reminder to everyone who does keep a BoB in their vehicles to remain vigilant in making sure that it remains with you at all times.

dave3223

UPDATES 1/27/12:

Yesterday, I received a telephone call from a police officer in Chino Hills informing me that my Glock 19 had been located. Apparently, a man was caught with the gun in his backpack. The suspect was a habitual thief who had conducted a rash of robberies in the area and had been caught through the use of a cell phone which the police were tracking. When caught, the police questioned him and he reported that he had received the gun from another person whom the police are now looking to arrest soon as they know of this additional person. I was asked if I knew the name of the suspect, however he was not familiar to myself. I am curious if the other person is someone who I know, but the police would not let me know his name. It turns out that the suspect had several thousand dollars on his person and had several gift cards on him as well. In addition, he was also driving around in a stolen car which he had stolen from someone who was able to get their car back. The police informed me that due to the number of people who had been robbed by this individual after me, they would not know how to release the money at this time and thus they could not return any money to me at that time although they were initially considering doing so. None of the other belongings were found as the actual backpack that the person had was a different type of bag, however they are hopeful of finding my vest and other items as they track the second person. My hat goes off to Detectives Rio and Oros of the Chino Hills Police Department as well as Officer Miller of the Riverside PD for their hard work in this matter.

The gun and a mag was returned to me today without any problems or hassles. Although the suspect (or someone for that matter) attempted to scratch off the serial number on the lower receiver, the serial number on the slide (and lower receiver for that matter) are still clearly visible and otherwise the gun was intact without any major wear. According to the police officers, the suspect and his associates are known criminals and thieves. Thus, they were happy to see the gun returned and are excited about the prospects of arresting other suspects.

dave3223

Rhythm of Life
11-08-2011, 8:55 AM
If your BoB is worth $1200 you might want to reconsider what your packin.

Including my $300 pack mine is only worth around $800

Sorry to hear about this though, some people are just trash.

XDseb
11-08-2011, 9:07 AM
thanks for sharing and sorry that you lost all those things...

to anyone that packs a valuable BoB in their vehicle, i would definitely recommend a lock box of some sort, specifically a tuffy.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

its very easy to bust a window and just grab a bag and run, or hit the trunk release, grab something and run away.

VictorFranko
11-08-2011, 9:11 AM
Bummer.....
For just this reason, I keep firearm related items seperate from the "Get Home" bag I keep in my truck.
Hopefully if they do a smash and grab they won't look further.

TurboChrisB
11-08-2011, 9:33 AM
Arrgghh, that sucks! I don't keep a bob in my car. Luckily my work is only 5 miles from home.

Manolito
11-08-2011, 9:42 AM
http://www.rmiia.org/auto/auto_theft/statistics.asp
The least secure place you have under your control is your automobile.
I am sorry for your loss and if the weapon is used in a serious crime it is even more saddening.
To those that say use the trunk in a wreck the trunk is often not accesible and not a good place to store large quantities of cash. Did you photo the bills?
When away from home a $70.00 drive way alarm is a good investment. I place the transmitter in the vehicle and put the receiver in my office or in the motel room I am in. They are battery powered and portable and can be used in a lot of situations from dogs in the garbage to when the teenager comes home.
Good luck on recovery.
Bill

rodeoflyer
11-08-2011, 10:02 AM
OPSEC

OPSEC

OPSEC

TheChief
11-08-2011, 10:18 AM
When away from home a $70.00 drive way alarm is a good investment. I place the transmitter in the vehicle and put the receiver in my office or in the motel room I am in. They are battery powered and portable and can be used in a lot of situations from dogs in the garbage to when the teenager comes home

Hello Manolito,

Can you post some links to these driveway alarms you are referring to? I would like to know more about them.

TheChief
11-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Thats gotta hurt! Insurance may cover it and some of the cash...just a thought.

I have an SUV and keep my GHB in the rear area. I know I would be fuming if someone broke in to steal it. I would keep the cash in a seperate hidden area though. Like tucked into a coil in the bottom of the seat where you couldn't see it.

Good luck!

paul0660
11-08-2011, 10:24 AM

That was just the cash.

I am speechless that someone would leave all that stuff in the car, since it was ok to take it into the office.

killathrilla
11-08-2011, 10:31 AM
First question u need to ask urself is...who did u tell???

bsg
11-08-2011, 11:13 AM
hope the bad guys are caught.

problemchild
11-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Figure out who knew you had the bob and do some investigation on your end.

ocmsrzr
11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Sucks dude...use the hard learned lession to reevaluate your BOB storage plan.

covertcombatant
11-08-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?

bsg
11-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Figure out who knew you had the bob and do some investigation on your end.

Sucks dude...use the hard learned lession to reevaluate your BOB storage plan.

both good suggestions.

good luck on this Dave.

k1dude
11-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Always keep your goods out of sight. If you don't have a trunk, purchase a blanket the same color as your interior carpeting and throw it over the BOB. A blanket is good to have in the car anyway. Also, tint your back windows where you store your covered BOB.

I hope they catch the scumbag(s).

cineski
11-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Did you BOB have a GPS device? Fail!!! Nah, just kidding. Criminals suck.

redrex
11-08-2011, 1:24 PM
I hate to say this but unless you just left it out where someone could see it then it most likely was not a crime of opportunity and was, most likely, someone you know.

Maybe you mentioned it to someone at work? Or at the bar? I know, no one likes to think someone around them would do something like this but I've seen it happen.

xrMike
11-08-2011, 1:47 PM
I hate to say this but unless you just left it out where someone could see it then it most likely was not a crime of opportunity and was, most likely, someone you know.

Maybe you mentioned it to someone at work? Or at the bar? I know, no one likes to think someone around them would do something like this but I've seen it happen.

I have to agree, especially since the OP said he covered it with a blanket and the truck's back windows were all tinted...

If vehicle break-ins happen ALL THE TIME in the area around his workplace, then maybe this was a random thing. But if they don't happen all the time, given the precautions the OP took, this was definitely somebody who know what was in there...

So who knew about:
the bag itself
the gun in the bag
the cash in the bag
any or all of the above

???

dave3223
11-08-2011, 1:59 PM
No offense taken to any of the comments and I agree that my mistake was solely mine to blame. To everyone that is saying that it is probably someone I know, I definitely agree and have been racking my mind over this. Again, a bad plan on my part to leave the bag in my trunk and obviously someone I knew was aware of what I had in there. In truth, I don't personally talk with others about what I have in there, however I do believe that I one of the clients that I deal with may have previously seen me getting something out of my bag one day when he was in my office waiting to speak with me. It's a hunch, but the best one that I have.

Regarding the money... it sucks and yes, it was a lot. I had just returned from a trip out of town and included the large bills as money that had been left over from that trip. Again, OPSEC is definitely the key and for that I failed at some point. My fault and a hard lesson learned, but definitely one that I wanted to share with others so that you don't make my mistakes. In the end, I ended up with a new BoB as many of the items I did have multiples of (except the money, but remember 2 is 1) and thus I have a new bag already put together. The gun was already reported and the police officer who took the report was actually really cool and supportive. At one point in time I was doubtful about him as I could not find the serial number in my paperwork and the gun did not come up on his computer so naturally he thought that I may have stolen it, but eventually he found it and all was good. He did call out two other officers and a canine unit to do a simple search in a field area by my job where he reported some homeless did hang out, which was nice of him as well.

Again, thanks for offers of support and even the minor scolding as I definitely feel its warranted for my own stupidity!

dave3223

dave3223
11-08-2011, 2:03 PM
Always keep your goods out of sight. If you don't have a trunk, purchase a blanket the same color as your interior carpeting and throw it over the BOB. A blanket is good to have in the car anyway. Also, tint your back windows where you store your covered BOB.

I hope they catch the scumbag(s).

This was exactly what I did. In fact I had a blanket that matched my window tint and covered everything. The thieves knew what I had in my truck and broke the window exactly where the bag was kept. Again, my OPSEC sucked :facepalm:

To add to your post, I would recommend even more. Add an alarm and watch were the car is parked.

dave3223

dezertracer18
11-08-2011, 2:07 PM

What he said is the most sad but true statement. I build race trucks and had about 4k in my shocks alone.. mounted on my truck about 3 years ago... one morning woke up and bam my property gate was open and my 2 rear shocks were gone. Cut to a month later and offering a 200 dollar reward to everyone at school and work who might know who it was. Turns out someone discreetly told me and ended up being my best friends...friend that i just met two weeks before they went missing.

Good Luck i hope it shows up alot of time and money go into these bags i know mine did...

xrMike
11-08-2011, 3:03 PM
Again, thanks for offers of support and even the minor scolding as I definitely feel its warranted for my own stupidity!

dave3223Hope I didn't come off like I was kicking you when you are down, that was not intended at all...

Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about putting a shotgun in the back of my truck, and eventually a BOB, but now you've got re-evaluating all that. Or at least re-evaluating how I can do that without getting burned.

dave3223
11-08-2011, 4:38 PM
That was just the cash.

I am speechless that someone would leave all that stuff in the car, since it was ok to take it into the office.

Fair enough to say. What happened however was that I am a business owner and had just gotten back from picking up office supplies. These were all on my driver's side and in the back seat. Upon arriving at the office, I took some of them inside and immediately one of my employees told me that I had a phone call. Thus, I took the call. While on the phone, another employee of mine had come back to the office and noticed that my window had been smashed. This occurred roughly 30-35 minutes after I got to the office as I had been on the phone the whole time. As a result, I immediately went out to my car and noticed that the back side window to my SUV was smashed. This window looked into the trunk area and thus the blanket had been removed and the BoB taken. All other things in my trunk area were still there (stereo amps, cold weather jacket, gallon jug of water, etc.). The BoB was in the trunk area. To get to it, I would have had to open the trunk and grab all of this while opening the back door. I figured that this was not the thing to do given the fact that it would have allowed anyone around to see into my trunk area and see that I had things covered up by a blanket across the whole back of my trunk. In hindsight, doing so would have saved all of my belongings, but at the time, I just went to grab the immediate office supplies thinking that I would be out in a few minutes.

Hope this helps to clarify some things even though it does not excuse my actions in the least.

dave3223

dave3223
11-08-2011, 4:41 PM
Hope I didn't come off like I was kicking you when you are down, that was not intended at all...

Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about putting a shotgun in the back of my truck, and eventually a BOB, but now you've got re-evaluating all that. Or at least re-evaluating how I can do that without getting burned.

No offense taken at all. That's why I started the post as I know a lot of people talk about keeping a BoB in their car. My hope is that this post allows others to evaluate my mistakes and think about what they would do differently to avoid being a victim too. Based on the fact that you are thinking about this and evaluating how you would keep your shotgun and BoB in the back of your vehicles is exactly what I would hope that others would do.

dave3223

paul0660
11-08-2011, 4:44 PM
I apologize for being kind of harsh earlier.

Several instances of when I have let it all dangle out crossed my mind while reading this thread. Good luck.

Stormfeather
11-10-2011, 2:17 AM
That sucks man. Plain and simply put, that sucks. Wish i had a better suggestion, maybe look into those lockers for the back of SUV's? They cover the rear luggage compartment floor and are only about 10" tall. Locking compartments and all. Ive got a BOB and its flex cuffed to my roll bar in the jeep, and if it needs to come off, well theres a flex cuff cutter on my dog tag chain around my neck. Hopefully ya find out who did it, and if its an employee, fire da bastard!

C&Rtrader
11-10-2011, 8:33 AM
That sucks. I also had one stolen a few years back. Didn't have as much cash thankfully. But I did loose a nice Makarov and a bunch of equipment (GPS, SAK, Leatherman, streamlights and the rest of the usual goodies). I did get the Makarov back though, almost a year to the date. I do hope they find your gun. When I got mine back from the evidence room I took it straight to the range (without really looking at it) and put 200 rounds of the nastiest wolf ammo through it to dirty it up. When the gun was stolen it was cleaned and oiled... I didn't want to know if its previous possessor had used it or not :(..

FWIW, I now keep the pistol (cheaper bulgarian Mak) in one of these and loop the cable, which is secured in my trunk, through parts of the bag: http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Steve1968LS2
11-10-2011, 8:41 AM
Bummer.....
For just this reason, I keep firearm related items seperate from the "Get Home" bag I keep in my truck.
Hopefully if they do a smash and grab they won't look further.

Yea, my firearm is NOT in my BOB.. it's locked in a microvault that is secured to the truck with a HEAVY cable lock.. Cash is hidden elsewhere in the truck. So if they snagged my bag they would just get some med supplies, tools and few other things.

Oh, and thieves suck

Rouge Recon
11-10-2011, 8:42 AM
Sorry, but what is a BoB?

Omil
11-10-2011, 8:49 AM
Sorry for your lost, sir. We all learned a very valuable lesson. Thanks for sharing.

engi
11-10-2011, 8:53 AM

Bug out bag. Usually stuffed with some emergency gear and necessities for quick/easy access when you have to bounce in a hurry.

Rouge Recon
11-10-2011, 8:56 AM
Bug out bag. Usually stuffed with some emergency gear and necessities for quick/easy access when you have to bounce in a hurry.

Thanks. I'll have to work on one.

Oceanbob
11-10-2011, 9:27 AM
I hate it when a fellow Cal Gunner gets shafted by a scumbag. :(

I will bet the GLOCK will eventually turn up. Might take a few years.

Your post has helped many of us more than you will know.. :)

I personally plan to move my GLOCK 20 out of my Get Home Box (a large plastic tub in my trunk that has supplies to live for a week; in the event I get trapped away from home when that big earthquake happens)

I now plan to carry my Gun and Cash with me in a separate briefcase. And just leave some Ammo/holster/parka in the Car Tub.

Whoever takes my plastic tub would have to open my trunk and heft it out. It's heavier than I wanted it to be. But living for a week adds in some weight. (water as well).

Take care and I wish you well....

Bob

FeuerFrei
11-10-2011, 9:47 AM
It sux that a d-bag has all of that stuff.
It sounds like you have learned a valuable lesson here and have the guts to tell others so the also may learn.
Time to revise the circle of trust...
http://johnjamesjacoby.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/circle-of-trust.png?w=360

jonc
11-10-2011, 10:04 AM
that sucks!!!!

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. SUV's are a prime target for smash and grabs, as the whole vehicle is reachable from any window point.

I don't keep a BoB in my car, I just have a simple foldable knife, pepper spray, streamlight tac flashlight, and mini-leatherman. I wouldn't trust keeping anything more in the interior of my car.

Since I have a sedan, whenever I have anything of value that needs to be temporarily kept in my car, I keep it in my truck where it is at least safe from smash and grabs and hidden from prying eyes.

Additionally, my car has a valet lock on the truck release button so that when pressed in, you need the master key to release the truck release button.

GL getting your possession back. I hope that thief burns in hell.

Two Shots
11-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry about your loss, does your work or any places around you have cameras?
If so, you may get a glimpse of the DB that stole your stuff as he's walking down the street with the BOB.

Good luck and I hope you atleast get the Glock back.

AhSpray
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry about your loss, does your work or any places around you have cameras?
If so, you may get a glimpse of the DB that stole your stuff as he's walking down the street with the BOB.

^^^ This. I think you could install a security camera system covering your business property for the cash you lost in the bag, or thereabouts anyway.

Sorry to learn of your loss. But thank you for manning up publicly for the greater good!

lwbyo1
11-10-2011, 12:28 PM
If you're going to keep stuff like that in your SUV, you might want to consider installing something like this:

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-310-international-cxt-tactical-gear-security-drawer.aspx

jmsenk
11-10-2011, 1:18 PM
That sucks about your BOB - I know if I lost mine it would be more than a little frustrating. I don't count guns as part of my BOB, and I never keep guns in my car - they are either with me, or I take them inside when I get there. Maybe I'm just paranoid though. I had a friend get a pistol stolen, and when he reported it, most of the "Interview" was the cop threatening to come back and ruin his life if the gun ended up being used in a crime.

Kid Stanislaus
11-10-2011, 1:28 PM
Automobiles are incredibly easy to break in to. Any valuables should be securely attatched to the vehicle in some manner. Glove boxes, trunks and center consoles take about two seconds to pop open. A warm blanket was not meant to provide security to any thing other than a live body.

JoshlikesARs
11-10-2011, 1:37 PM
Did the officer you reported the crime to give you alot of crap about having the G19 with ammo in the bag?

IntoForever
11-10-2011, 2:16 PM
Sucks to hear this. Hope you get recovery of your stuff.

First question u need to ask urself is...who did u tell???
This is one avenue to pursue but also the thief may have just watched you in the past mess with your BOB. You would be surprised at how much those scum bags see.

Upon being alerted to the matter by one of my employees, I immediately checked the car and saw that one of my rear windows was smashed and the backpack was the only item taken. Either the thieves did not have time to take anything else, or they knew exactly what they were going for. The sad thing is that I keep all of my items in the back of my truck covered by a large wool blanket (the black and grey german type) and my windows are darkened so to the average person you would not know what is back there.

All in all, there were some lessons learned however.

#4 If you keep your BoB in your car, a car alarm is vital. I had disconected my car alarm recently due to my alarm constantly going off. Initially I thought that my alarm was too sensitive and thus I had it reprogrammed. However, I later learned that the alarm was not my problem but the problem was some maintenance issues which constantly caused my horn to sound as well as my alarm to go off while I was driving in rush hour :eek: :facepalm: In any regards this caused me to disconnect the alarm and I never got it reconnected.

#5 If possible, park your car in a location where it is in the midst of constant foot traffic or where it can constantly be observed. I failed to follow this advice and it cost me dearly.

Much of this seems common sense, however after becoming a bit complacent myself, I figured that I would post a bit of a reminder to everyone who does keep a BoB in their vehicles to remain vigilant in making sure that it remains with you at all times. dave3223
The car alarm is a great tool but you cannot become complacent. Also, a huge red flag is if the alarm starts going off for seemingly unknown reasons at one place (or time) for no reason. This is because there are thieves who know that after an alarm goes off repeatedly either the alarm itself will ignore further issues from that zone or the vehicle can be towed. Sometimes the owner will simply turn off the alarm. A thief can do a smash and grab and be on his way in 5 seconds or less. Average person is still trying to process what just happened as the thief is leaving the area. Call to 911 hasn't even begun.

Bug Out Bag
Usually kept full of vital stuffs in case an emergency evacuation is needed.

^^^ This. I think you could install a security camera system covering your business property for the cash you lost in the bag, or thereabouts anyway.

Sorry to learn of your loss. But thank you for manning up publicly for the greater good!
Cameras can be a great benefit. Put an end to the little bastards from the near by school vandalizing a friends car for no reason.

thenodnarb
11-10-2011, 4:13 PM
Automobiles are incredibly easy to break in to. Any valuables should be securely attatched to the vehicle in some manner. Glove boxes, trunks and center consoles take about two seconds to pop open. A warm blanket was not meant to provide security to any thing other than a live body.
This.^^^ my stuff is tethered. and when I can afford it, i'll have the stoutest custom made tool box you ever seen, and it will be located INSIDE the truck....and the stuff inside will be tethered with cables. They can have it, its just gonna take them 45 minutes to get to it. I might keep a badger in there as well.

dave3223
11-10-2011, 5:39 PM

:facepalm: Come on Kid... now you tell me. Man, you could have saved me a bunch if you told me this before. Seriously though, I hear you on that but like I said before, I got complacent and it cost me. That's the point of this post. Hopefully, it will serve as a reminder to everyone else.

To those who have given recommendations of various ways of securing my valuables, I want to truly say thank you as I am going through this post and identifying different options. Again thank you all very much for the kind words and support.

thenodnarb
11-10-2011, 5:51 PM
:facepalm: Come on Kid... now you tell me. Man, you could have saved me a bunch if you told me this before. Seriously though, I hear you on that but like I said before, I got complacent and it cost me. That's the point of this post. Hopefully, it will serve as a reminder to everyone else.

To those who have given recommendations of various ways of securing my valuables, I want to truly say thank you as I am going through this post and identifying different options. Again thank you all very much for the kind words and support.

check craigslist and local flea markets for your gear. you might get lucky and catch the perp

dave3223
11-10-2011, 5:55 PM
Did the officer you reported the crime to give you alot of crap about having the G19 with ammo in the bag?

Good question... initially the officer was skeptical of why I had everything that I did. When I explained to him that I was the owner of the company and that I worked late at my office, he was a bit more understanding. Also my profession helped as well.

Prior to arriving at my work, he had already run my name and saw the number of pistols that I own. He did give me a bit of a hard time when his on board computer did not identify any glock 19s however and he did question me if I had bought it illegally. It was at this point that a second officer arrived and I began to realize that he had called for back-up. However, based on the number of pistols and the brands of some of my pistols I was able to remind him that if I had bought the gun illegally, then I would not jeapordize myself by calling the police in the first place as I knew that they would ask for the serial numbers. This kind of put him at ease as it was a sensible answer and I did not show the signs of lying or being concerned, scared, or afraid (even though I was becoming a bit skeptical myself).

He later found the serial number and asked me if it looked familar which I immediately recognized as the letters all formed words in my mind that I remembered and thus he then began to talk more friendly with me. He even admitted that he carried a BOB in his trunk of his squad car and was easy going. He did ask me if I was in law enforcement or the military but when I told him that I was just a normal guy who liked guns and being prepared for anything he understood. Overall, he was very professional, helpful and easy to talk with. He even noticed a Frontsight hat that I had in the trunk and did not worry about this at all.

dave3223

dave3223
11-10-2011, 5:55 PM
check craigslist and local flea markets for your gear. you might get lucky and catch the perp

Good idea, thank you!

Kid Stanislaus
11-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Somebody makes a bag from airplane grade cable that's big enough to put a backpack in. It could then be secured to the car with a similar cable and a good tough lock.

Check this link: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/469717599/stainless_steel_safety_bag_netting.html

Tallestsniper
11-11-2011, 2:22 AM
My paraglider buddys welded some D rings into their SUVs and have crazy thick chain running through them in a pattern that wont allow the bag to come out. Just looking at it would make any thief not yielding a plasma torch to say "eff that, buddy". I am very sorry for your loss and hope justice is had.

zeke2517
12-10-2011, 1:32 AM
Dave: i want to commend you on your Tact and composure while posting this. Mosy of us would be freaking pissed off ranting! Well said on all points, thanks for the lesson. If i can help you get a new bag together, you have my number and i am jsut down the road.

dave3223
12-10-2011, 7:51 PM
Dave: i want to commend you on your Tact and composure while posting this. Mosy of us would be freaking pissed off ranting! Well said on all points, thanks for the lesson. If i can help you get a new bag together, you have my number and i am jsut down the road.

Hey Zeke:

Good to hear from you and hopefully this lesson of mine will help others learn from my mistakes. I have a new bag made which now always stays with me and I have changed some things based on some of the suggestions from this thread. Thanks for the offer. In any regards, we do need to meet soon to take care of a few things. I will talk with you next week.

dave3223

TaxAnnihilator
01-10-2012, 6:23 PM
Find any of your stuff on craigslist yet?

Hey Zeke:

Good to hear from you and hopefully this lesson of mine will help others learn from my mistakes. I have a new bag made which now always stays with me and I have changed some things based on some of the suggestions from this thread. Thanks for the offer. In any regards, we do need to meet soon to take care of a few things. I will talk with you next week.

dave3223

Saym14
01-10-2012, 6:39 PM
leave NOTHING in view. my frined window was smashed so they could grab a cardboard box. the box contained a few dollars in coins.

Maltese Falcon
01-10-2012, 6:44 PM
OP -- Sorry for your loss. I was recently jacked for a spotting scope, laser rangefinder and other items from my carport, which is a solid 25 yards from the street. My fault for leaving them in the SUV instead of storing them in the garage where they belonged.

When away from home a $70.00 drive way alarm is a good investment. I place the transmitter in the vehicle and put the receiver in my office or in the motel room I am in. They are battery powered and portable and can be used in a lot of situations from dogs in the garbage to when the teenager comes home.
Good luck on recovery.
Bill

Hello Manolito,

Can you post some links to these driveway alarms you are referring to? I would like to know more about them.

That is a great idea. I just got one of these for the driveway. You can use the receiver plugged in or with 4 x AAs. Reciever should be used plugged in, but supposedly lasts a week on battery alone. The sensor will last up to 2 years depending on how many "pings" you average. Each sensor takes 4 x AA as well. You can add up to 8 sensors in total.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISVJL6/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details

We have been having a rash of vehicle break-ins in our neck of the woods. LE Watch Officer advises leave NOTHING of value in your car/truck/ SUV either covered or not.

As the the penal system discharges low risk criminals expect more of this to occur.

shortround1
01-11-2012, 12:48 AM
So you were only going to be in and out of your office very quickly? It sounds like the timing of that phone call was perfectly awful. Have you cast any suspicion on the person tying you up on the phone line while the crime was being committed? It's probably just coincidence but maybe not.

dave3223
01-11-2012, 8:46 AM
Find any of your stuff on craigslist yet?

Unfortunately, no I have not but I have been occasionally looking to see if anything was for sale. Thanks for the concern and I will continue to look to see if it shows up.

dave3223

dave3223
01-11-2012, 8:50 AM
So you were only going to be in and out of your office very quickly? It sounds like the timing of that phone call was perfectly awful. Have you cast any suspicion on the person tying you up on the phone line while the crime was being committed? It's probably just coincidence but maybe not.

Hahaha...yeah, at first my mind began to ask the same thing. However, that was not the case. The call was actually related to my business but from someone out of state inquiring about a client that I am supervising for them. The call simply lasted a bit longer than I expected and then I had to speak with one of my employees about the call so I took longer than expected. Trust me, when all of this happened, I too was racking my mind but I have to admit that it was definitely someone who either knew me or knew my schedule. Thanks for the concern and yes, this thread has helped me more than you all can imagine. Thanks CALGUNS!!

dave3223
01-11-2012, 8:52 AM
OP -- Sorry for your loss. I was recently jacked for a spotting scope, laser rangefinder and other items from my carport, which is a solid 25 yards from the street. My fault for leaving them in the SUV instead of storing them in the garage where they belonged.

That is a great idea. I just got one of these for the driveway. You can use the receiver plugged in or with 4 x AAs. Reciever should be used plugged in, but supposedly lasts a week on battery alone. The sensor will last up to 2 years depending on how many "pings" you average. Each sensor takes 4 x AA as well. You can add up to 8 sensors in total.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISVJL6/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details

We have been having a rash of vehicle break-ins in our neck of the woods. LE Watch Officer advises leave NOTHING of value in your car/truck/ SUV either covered or not.

As the the penal system discharges low risk criminals expect more of this to occur.

Thanks a lot for the link and for the idea. I have ordered one of these to try out and plan to order others for all of my cars. Again, thanks to everyone who have responded to this thread as it has helped me tremendously and I definitely appreciate the concern and suggestions made of you all.

dave3223

shoktroop
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey bud,

Heres my two cents:

1) The thief is DEFINATELY someone you know. And experience has tought me if you have a first instinct as to who the thief is, it is likely that person.

2) Not sure if you or anyone has mentioned this as I havn't read all the posts yet but your auto insurance will cover your loss if you make a claim :)

Semper Fi

Shok

dave3223
01-27-2012, 9:47 PM
Update in the first post for anyone interested!!

dave3223

heypal
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
so glad to see you get at least your sidearm back!

Petro6golf
01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Thats great news. Now sit back and get ready to be angry when he gets a month in county and a year of unsupervised probation.

XYZ
01-28-2012, 7:22 AM
Update in the first post for anyone interested!!

dave3223

Thanks for sharing. Glad you got back your G19. This has been a great thread about always being diligent.

motorwerks
01-29-2012, 1:12 AM
sorry to drag up an old thread... I lost my BOB about 6 months ago in Tahoe... overall I'm out about $800 bucks with my window. :(

They got all but one of my 1911 Magazines... and did NOT get my gun it was in a lock box, but they got a ton of stuff and I'm stuff bummed about it. The only god thing to come from it is the cop that took the report was super cool, and knows a bunch of the same people my friends that were with us on the trip so we made a new friend.

Seesm
01-29-2012, 3:19 AM
Man soo bumed you lost your bag... I would FREAK out... Glad you got your 19 back... Wow good luck and its a lesson for us all.

NotEnufGarage
01-29-2012, 1:50 PM

Including my $300 pack mine is only worth around $800

Sorry to hear about this though, some people are just trash.

$300? No kidding?

I bought a $35 bag at WalMart with a 2L hydration bladder..

I think all totaled I have less than $300 in my BoB, including food, first aid, a few comfort items, change of clothes, jacket, etc..

It's a BoB, not a "This is all I will have for the rest of my life" bag.

Personally, I think it's silly to keep $1100 and a firearm IN your BoB. I always keep a few hundred in my wallet and any firearm I carry will be concealed. Plus, any firearm you plan to carry during a SHTF scenario should be one you're well practiced on, so keeping it in your BoB kind of defeats that, unless you have 2 identical guns.

I work close to home and will be able to get here prior to bugging out to get my stage 2 and 3 bags/bins, load up my truck with that, water, and the contents of my pantry, fridge and freezer before heading for the hills.

I guess if you're in Downtown LA or SD, you might need enough to get you home to your loved ones, but the contents of the OP's bag sounds excessive.

dave3223
01-29-2012, 3:49 PM
$300? No kidding?

I bought a $35 bag at WalMart with a 2L hydration bladder..

I think all totaled I have less than $300 in my BoB, including food, first aid, a few comfort items, change of clothes, jacket, etc..

It's a BoB, not a "This is all I will have for the rest of my life" bag.

Personally, I think it's silly to keep $1100 and a firearm IN your BoB. I always keep a few hundred in my wallet and any firearm I carry will be concealed. Plus, any firearm you plan to carry during a SHTF scenario should be one you're well practiced on, so keeping it in your BoB kind of defeats that, unless you have 2 identical guns.

I work close to home and will be able to get here prior to bugging out to get my stage 2 and 3 bags/bins, load up my truck with that, water, and the contents of my pantry, fridge and freezer before heading for the hills.

I guess if you're in Downtown LA or SD, you might need enough to get you home to your loved ones, but the contents of the OP's bag sounds excessive.

As the OP, I have to say to each his own. Yes, I am very glad that I got the G19 back and regardless of if I get anything else, I am still happy that the police are now watching additional thieves and have arrested one person. Part of my plan in having a lot of money in the bag was due to the fact that I am often a long way from home as a business owner. In other words, I travel a good bit (by cars as I don't like to fly) and if something happened, I wanted to make sure that I did not end up being a refugee! Regardless, I thank you for reading the thread and hopefully you won't ever find yourself in my shoes. Have a good one!

dave3223

01-29-2012, 4:00 PM
Glad to see you got your pistol back. I think that was more important than any other item in the bag.
Hope they turn up the other items too!