PDA

View Full Version : It's "ham radio" and not "HAM radio"

GrizzlyGuy
11-08-2011, 7:02 AM
I hate being a grammer or speling Nazi, but as a 30+ year ham radio operator, the whole HAM or H.A.M. thing kind of irks me, perhaps in the same way that calling a magazine a "clip" irks longtime gun owners. See the etymlogy of "ham radio" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_ham_radio) for more info.

OK, I better stop writing, I don't want to loose my posting privileges. Besides, I need to load a few more clips for my SHTF gun that isn't a Garand.. ;)

Exile Machine
11-08-2011, 7:12 AM
N5OLM here... HAM bugs the heck outta me too. I prefer amateur radio to ham. "Ham" conjures up images of that lonely pasty white fat guy in his 50's with thick glasses working in the radio shack in the basement of his mom's house, swilling a cold milk and a ham sandwich, tapping out morse code till all hours and when he does come out for social interaction, he's speaking in Q codes.
-Mark

mej16489
11-08-2011, 9:50 AM
I've never like term ham either - its amateur radio!

Which Way Out
11-08-2011, 9:52 AM
I like Ham.. Honey Baked for the Holidays Hummmmmmmmmmm

Sorry :facepalm:

MaHoTex
11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I like Ham.. Honey Baked for the Holidays Hummmmmmmmmmm

Sorry :facepalm:

Not as good as Bacon...:facepalm:

Which Way Out
11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Not as good as Bacon...:facepalm:

And Salad.....................Salad

Sorry again.....;)

EL_NinO619
11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I want to get my HAM.... Sorry Amateur Radio License.

Ironmany2k
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Have Another Meatball

cineski
11-08-2011, 11:22 AM
This (HAM or H.A.M.) is a phenomenon that results in our society being branded to death.

guns4life
11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Mmmmm haaaam

ExAcHog
11-08-2011, 8:47 PM
So...usually when I inform someone of the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine" they come away from the conversation with more knowledge than they came in with.
That being said...
WTF is the difference between, H.A.M or HAM or ham or Amateur radio or some big arse powerful radio thingy????
Please, inform the uninformed..

Okay, so after reading etymlogy of "ham radio" a couple of times, is calling someone a HAM or ham insulting?, or is it just that GrizGuy wants it called correctly?
I am looking to take the HAM/ham/amatuer radio test soon. I dont want to step on any "radio guys" toes.
P.S. The test I am taking is in modesto and is called the "HAM Cram", their term, not mine :)

GrizzlyGuy
11-09-2011, 6:51 AM
So...usually when I inform someone of the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine" they come away from the conversation with more knowledge than they came in with.
That being said...
WTF is the difference between, H.A.M or HAM or ham or Amateur radio or some big arse powerful radio thingy????
Please, inform the uninformed..

Ham radio is like most hobbies in that you can go as big as you like, the size of your bank account is really the only limit. Some hams only have a little handheld radio that isn't much more powerful than a cell phone, while others invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to build big arse powerful superstations with multiple sets of radios, amplifiers and towers with gigantic antennas like these at K3LR:

http://www.dxengineering.com/images/examples/K3LR-Yagis_example.jpg

http://hamgallery.com/gallery/K/K3LR/k3lr98-19.jpg

Okay, so after reading etymlogy of "ham radio" a couple of times, is calling someone a HAM or ham insulting?, or is it just that GrizGuy wants it called correctly?
I am looking to take the HAM/ham/amatuer radio test soon. I dont want to step on any "radio guys" toes.
P.S. The test I am taking is in modesto and is called the "HAM Cram", their term, not mine :)

Calling a ham radio operator a "ham" is not insulting, especially among hams. "Amateur radio operator" is the more formal term since we are licensed within what the FCC calls the "Amateur Radio Service". If you were trying to explain what your hobby is to an outsider, especially if they are in a position of importance, you'd say "I'm an amateur radio operator". If you were doing a public service event your signs would say "Amateur Radio" and you'd refer to yourself that way as well, since a positive image in the media is important.

However, if a group of longtime hams were meeting for coffee like we do here every week, you wouldn't hear this:

"Hey guys, guess what? Remember the vacant house up the street from me? I just met the guy that moved in there and he is an amateur radio operator!"

It would instead be:

"I just met the guy that moved in there and he's a ham!"

Out at the range with your buddies you wouldn't say "I just met the guy that moved in there and he's a firearm owner", right?

No knowledgeable ham would ever write "H.A.M.", and they would only write "HAM" if there were an odd situation where the word, phrase or sentence needed to be in all caps (e.g., in a trademarked product title or something like that). Click here (http://www.google.com/search?q=ham+cram) for a Google search on "ham cram"and you'll see what I mean. Writing "HAM" for no good reason screams n00b just as calling a magazine a clip screams n00b in the gun world. I don't care if people prefer to do n00b-like things, we were all n00bs once afterall, I just thought there might be some folks who didn't want to appear n00b-ish and maybe didn't even know that they were. :)

eqlzr
11-09-2011, 7:54 AM
If you don't know the meaning of the term "lid" or "wuoff hong" you are not a real "ham".

Super Spy
11-09-2011, 8:04 AM
I think Bacon has more flavor than Ham.....Now it's time to go load some clips for my Gat.

kemasa
11-09-2011, 9:59 AM
Perhaps you should history of the word "ham" and what it meant in terms of the radio operator. The meaning has since changed, but ...

kemasa
11-09-2011, 9:59 AM
Perhaps you should history of the word "ham" and what it meant in terms of the radio operator. The meaning has since changed, but ...

thenodnarb
11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
and you created a new post for this :facepalm:
I'm sorry, I just don't think grammer falls into "outdoors, camping, and survival" but whatever, carry on.

POLICESTATE
11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
HAM is Had Alot of Money

ryno066
11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Nope i got a bacon radio. :chef:

ryno066
11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I think Bacon has more flavor than Ham.....Now it's time to go load some clips for my Gat.

Dontz for get about ur shotie!