PDA

View Full Version : My First Experience With Wolf

sthornwall
02-20-2007, 7:50 AM
I have owned my CA-15's for a little over a year now. I take very good care of them and clean them the very day I shoot them, religiously (I had this programmed in my head when I served in the Army). So the Crossroads of the West GS comes to Del Mar this past weekend. I set aside $500 to purchase only ammo, this was my soul reason for even going to the GS. I have been spending a lot of time at Ocotillo Wells and Orosco Ridge for outdoor plinking and I figured that depleting my supply of Lake City 5.56 and AE .223 on a bunch of cans and bowling balls was a little foolish. I decided to purchase 1000 rounds of Wolf .223 which was on sale for $139. That afternoon I took a quick drive to Orosco Ridge with a few friends to put a few down range before our evening BBQ with the ladies. Once there, I immediately grab the Wolf and load up. The very first GD round I fire, the steel casing expands and gets stuck in the chamber. My extractor is locked on the back of the shell so I can't manually pull the charging handle back to get the round out. This is where I get really pissed, now I have no choice but to "bench slam" on the telestock to force out the expanded casing. After two good slams the casing ejects and my rifle automatically reloads itself. I go to spend the other nine rounds and the fifth and sixth round misfire. At this point I give up and hand unloaded the rest. I pop in some of the Lake City 5.56 I had also just purchased and went through about 110 rounds with absolutely no issues. I tried to give my three other fellow shooters the rest of my Wolf because I was just fed up and done with this Wolf junk. None of them wanted it, especially after seeing what I went through. So I gave the rest to a neighbor who also ownes a CA-15 with the warning of what I went through.

I know this subject has been beaten to death about the quality of Wolf. Some love it and some hate it. IMO Wolf is pure junk. It's a waste of money, time and only god knows what possible long term damage this crap may have done to my weapon. I know there are those of you who would say just the opposite of this post, but based on this very recent experience, never again will I ever even consider Wolf. Not even their brass casing rounds.:mad:

End of rant......Thank you

EricCartmann
02-20-2007, 8:09 AM
My Bushy loves Wolf, eats it right up. It is a good thing because I want to save my provisions of Guat and SS109. If you don't like the Wolf I'll buy it from you. How much you got left?

mike100
02-20-2007, 8:13 AM
I only use eastern bloc ammo in eastern bloc calibers/rifles. I did once have a primer cap pop out and jam the mag on my sks.. it cleared, but wolf is sort of dicey.

cornholio1
02-20-2007, 8:28 AM
I'll take free Wolf. PM me. I am in SoCal.

Harbinger
02-20-2007, 8:39 AM
Great! More for me and my two ARs, three pistols, one AK and one shotgun that love Wolf ammo. :p

If you're having problems with Wolf extracting, there's probably something wrong with your:

- Chamber dimensions or cleanliness (do you use a chamber brush?)
- Gas system (rings, gas port, gas tube/block)
- Extractor (tooth, spring, dimensions, obstructions/dirt)

FYI, I've had two brand new rifle barrels come to me out of spec. Some ammunition would feed/extract, while others would stay locked in the chamber.

Mike

EricCartmann
02-20-2007, 8:41 AM
Seriously I'll take the Wolf off your hands. Are you in the Bay Area? Sounds like you have a bout 980 rounds left. I will give you $139, the price you paid for your 1000.

sthornwall
02-20-2007, 8:58 AM
Seriously I'll take the Wolf off your hands. Are you in the Bay Area? Sounds like you have a bout 980 rounds left. I will give you $139, the price you paid for your 1000.

Sorry, as I said in my first post, I gave it to my neighbor already. I should have waited and advertised it here to see if anyone wanted it. I was so frusterated and pissed off at that point that I just wanted to get rid of it and my neighbor gladly accepted. It would be wrong of me to go back and ask for it.

Great! More for me and my two ARs, three pistols, one AK and one shotgun that love Wolf ammo. :p

If you're having problems with Wolf extracting, there's probably something wrong with your:

- Chamber dimensions or cleanliness (do you use a chamber brush?)
- Gas system (rings, gas port, gas tube/block)
- Extractor (tooth, spring, dimensions, obstructions/dirt)

FYI, I've had two brand new rifle barrels come to me out of spec. Some ammunition would feed/extract, while others would stay locked in the chamber.

Mike

I have all the great cleaning tools and my rifles are all very clean. I clean them immediatly after every shooting session. I did a close inspection that night on all the parts because I was worried there would have been damage to the internal components. I saw nothing. The casing of the round that got stuck as I said before was bowed out (expanded all the way around) along the primary wall right before where the casing tapers down. It was definatly the round and not my rifle. Plus two rounds misfired in the same ten I loaded. I inspected the primers and there were the appropriate dents made to expend the round. Maybe I just got a bad batch of ammo, I don't know. When I fired the Lake City 5.56 (about 110 rounds) there was not one problem. This was the only jam and misfires I have ever experieced with any of my CA-15's.

Whitesmoke
02-20-2007, 9:20 AM
I've been through 1000's of rounds of wolf in .223 and 7.62x39...never a problem. Sorry it didn't work for you...I would have been pissed too.

Can I ask...what brand upper (or barrel) do you have?

sthornwall
02-20-2007, 9:30 AM
I've been through 1000's of rounds of wolf in .223 and 7.62x39...never a problem. Sorry it didn't work for you...I would have been pissed too.

Can I ask...what brand upper (or barrel) do you have?

Stag-15 Model 1 with the carry handle.

This is the exact rifle I built that had the Wolf issues.

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=9&zenid=a6da5debb682c898aeedb3e16eab1ec1

Everything is Stag, 16" barrel and all. The only thing not Stag is my Bushmaster 10 rd mag.

Mr. Beretta
02-20-2007, 9:32 AM
sthornwall

+1

EricCartmann
02-20-2007, 9:45 AM
I have always been told if your gun has problem shooting Wolf, it has bigger problems than Wolf ammo.

I have to agree with that because all I ever shoot is Wolf and no problems whatsoever. I have American Eagle, Guat, and SS109 and those shoot great too but they are expensive now and I want to save them for a SHTF scenario.

CWM4A1
02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Some of the Stag upper does not use chrome lined barrel, and I've heard that non-chrome lined chamber and Wolf does hate each other.

sthornwall
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Some of the Stag upper does not use chrome lined barrel, and I've heard that non-chrome lined chamber and Wolf does hate each other.

All my CA-15 rifles have chrome lined barrels.

rssslvr
02-20-2007, 1:46 PM
I had a case head seperation with wolf ammo in my FAL.Luckly the only damage to my rifle was the mag(blew the floorplate off and swelled the body).Wolf knew about the problems with their .308 and sent me a call tag for the spent case and also paid to have my rifle shipped back to Rich at CGW so he could go over it and make sure everything was ok and make any repairs.There have been a few people who this has happened to with wolf .308.Since then I won't put wolf in any of my guns.

Whitesmoke
02-20-2007, 3:02 PM
I had a case head seperation with wolf ammo in my FAL.Luckly the only damage to my rifle was the mag(blew the floorplate off and swelled the body).Wolf knew about the problems with their .308 and sent me a call tag for the spent case and also paid to have my rifle shipped back to Rich at CGW so he could go over it and make sure everything was ok and make any repairs.There have been a few people who this has happened to with wolf .308.Since then I won't put wolf in any of my guns.

I've heard this same story several times about the .308 wolf....I won't ever try it because of this either...I just use the .223 and 7.62x39.

EricCartmann
02-20-2007, 3:51 PM
I've heard this same story several times about the .308 wolf....I won't ever try it because of this either...I just use the .223 and 7.62x39.

I have never tried Wolf .308 either. Each time I think about buying it, it gets sold out. I have heard good and bad about Wolf .308, mostly good though. Here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=209462

My personal experience is very positive with Wolf 5.56 and 7.62x39. I shoot wolf more than any other ammo. last year 7.62 was only $90 per case of 1000. Wolf 5.56 was only $100 per case.

Once someone gets Wolf .308 back in stock, I will be willing to give it a try. You guys can be scared of Wolf if you want, that just leaves more for me.

rssslvr
02-20-2007, 4:03 PM
I have never tried Wolf .308 either. Each time I think about buying it, it gets sold out. I have heard good and bad about Wolf .308, mostly good though. Here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=209462

My personal experience is very positive with Wolf 5.56 and 7.62x39. I shoot wolf more than any other ammo. last year 7.62 was only $90 per case of 1000. Wolf 5.56 was only $100 per case.

Once someone gets Wolf .308 back in stock, I will be willing to give it a try. You guys can be scared of Wolf if you want, that just leaves more for me.

When I called Rich at CGW and started to say "I was shooting wolf .308".He stoped me and said "what did you blow up?"Do a search on the FALfiles and you will see it has happend to a few people.One guys gun was destroyed.If you want to try it out go ahead but you should know that it is a known problem and wolf is aware of it as well.Also watch out for primers backing out on the wolf .308 too.I have seen the primers back out and jam up my friends gun.

EricCartmann
02-20-2007, 4:26 PM
When I called Rich at CGW and started to say "I was shooting wolf .308".He stoped me and said "what did you blow up?"Do a search on the FALfiles and you will see it has happend to a few people.One guys gun was destroyed.If you want to try it out go ahead but you should know that it is a known problem and wolf is aware of it as well.Also watch out for primers backing out on the wolf .308 too.I have seen the primers back out and jam up my friends gun.

thanks for the warning. FAL files is pretty much anti wolf, ar15.com is pro wolf

I will be shooting wolf .308 with one eye open. ;) It is not like I have a choice for plinking ammo. Nothing in .308 is 20 cents ar round anymore except Wolf. I have shot thousands of rounds of wolf 556 and 762 with no issues so I am willing to give 308 wolf a try.

Got Stuff?
02-20-2007, 7:08 PM
I have a 16" Stag 3H upper and Bushmaster 10 round mag. When I tried feeding it Wolf, the weapon would fire and extract OK but liked to fail to feed. Almost like the case wasnt smooth enough to feed properly. A few times, the spent case would eject and the bolt would slam shut without even picking up a fresh round.

My Glock 30 gobbles up wolf and spits it out with no problems. However I dont use Wolf that much at all anymore. These insane ammo prices are the only reason I bought wolf in the first place.

...Robert...
www.OutfittersSurplus-Gifts.com

boogak
02-20-2007, 7:41 PM
my cousin just picked up a romy from the local gun store in arizona last time i visited. we paid a visit to the cabelas store. i saw they had 7.62 wolf ammo on sale so i picked up a few boxes. we went to the range and loaded it up.my cousin doesnt like wolf but i bought it anyways. it was cheap. man i had a bad experience with it.casing wouldnt eject every other time i shot. it left a lot of unburned powder inside the gun. i dont know if ill be using wolf anymore. maybe if its very cheap.my luck might change

boogak
02-20-2007, 7:42 PM
and what is wolf military ammo. the one in the camoflage box?

g2jap
02-20-2007, 8:09 PM
I use the ammo and it works ok with my rifles

K9paulc
02-21-2007, 8:16 AM
my mini-14 loves the wolf, never any issues, never shot it through my ar for fear of the bad juju that i've heard. I may try on my next range trip out just to see for myself. The SKS and Ak just devour the wolf military classic (camo box) never any hiccups.

EricCartmann
02-21-2007, 8:45 AM
The SKS and Ak just devour the wolf military classic (camo box) never any hiccups.

When I buy a cat I expect it to eat everything I feed it. Not just Fancy Feast or Black Hills Match ammo.

Mr. Beretta
02-21-2007, 9:12 AM
You know...To each their own. ....I shot a case of Wolf .223 years ago. Dirty as heck but it ran for the most part in my stock Bushy. Since then however, for lots of reasons already posted , I don't shoot it anymore. If you gotta, then you gotta.

But I've since stayed with Federal AE and XM193 & Winchester Q3131 & Q3131A. Runs a day long, no worries. Yeah, I know the price is higher but that's life.

The days of cheap ammo like cheap gas is way gone. You can complain until you're blue in the face but it ain't going change. MHO is the price of ammo is going to continue to rise. Wait till you have to pay $200 for a 1000 Wolf 55gr FMJ. Don't think it won't happen. Hang on!

EricCartmann
02-21-2007, 9:25 AM
Where have you been? Wolf is $200 a case now (shipped). The next cheapest is like $300.

.17 thru .50
02-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Wolf makes decent 7.62 x 54r ammo. It's made on old russian military production lines. It's really expensive in that caliber tho.

Stanze
02-24-2007, 12:49 PM
The .22LR Wolf ammo has a rep for being uber accurate. Been meaning to try some although my 10/22 isn't set up to be a tack driver(Butler Creek folding stock, stock barrel, barrel clamp installed).

I avoid shooting Wolf through my OLL because of failure to extract issues I experienced, I had to disassemble the rifle and poke the spent casing out with my G.I. cleaning rod. I had better results with XM193, AE .223 and Remington UMC.

ViPER395
02-25-2007, 7:43 AM
The .22LR Wolf ammo has a rep for being uber accurate.

I've got two bricks here. It is so consistent. Smells funny tho.