PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down sks to 16 inches

Jimmy Deuce
02-20-2007, 7:17 AM
Two questions. One does any know of any gunsmith in the North Irange County area that will do work on a sks (looking to have barrel cut down to 16 inches). If Is this a bad idea would it prvent the rifle from cycling or cause anyother problems?

ocabj
02-20-2007, 7:36 AM
There won't be a gas port mod needed from what I can tell, but what are you going to do for a front sight?

Or is getting the SKS to fit in your trenchcoat the primary concern? :rolleyes:

Jimmy Deuce
02-20-2007, 8:02 AM
No not really asthetics mostly. I just have seen a shorter barreled version but they seem hard to come by so checking what the next best option.

ocabj
02-20-2007, 8:12 AM
Really? I'm not familiar with shorter barrelled SKS rifles. Again, my only concern would be the front sight. The front sight base is only an 1" or so away from the muzzle. Trimming the 20" barrel down 4" would present a problem. Plus, I think you're going to come close to that bayonet, too.

mike100
02-20-2007, 8:15 AM
you could try to find a real paratrooper or norinco shorty... I don't know, but would a chop job be in violation of 922r? maybe not, but there are factory short carbine sks's out there.

Dr. Peter Venkman
02-20-2007, 8:20 AM
No not really asthetics mostly. I just have seen a shorter barreled version but they seem hard to come by so checking what the next best option.

Nothing good aesthetically will come from cutting the barrel. You're going to end up with an SKS that looks like crap that features a useless bayonet. Just buy a real short SKS.

Morales
02-20-2007, 11:12 AM
I think some one plays too much Counter Strike..... Are you also going to make it tactical? Put a scope and flash light on it? Maybe a laser target designator? I love my SKS, be glad that there is a semi-auto rifle in this state that can have a 20 inch barrel and that you own one. I see no good coming from this. Of course its your gun, and there are plenty of SKS rifles floating around right now, but who knows for how long.

PanzerAce
02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
IIRC, another poster has already done this, they probably will sign in soon :o

Okami
02-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I trimmed mine up to make it more handy and it is.
If you have the barrel cut in front of the sight you shouldn't have any problems and I did mine myself.
It's your rifle, so do what you want with it but there is also some good advice on this board with reguards to what works and what doesn't.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Okami099/Yugo/Jan18_49.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Okami099/Yugo/Jan18_51.jpg

YMMV,

~Okami

Sydwaiz
02-20-2007, 11:37 AM
It's just an SKS, hack away! Plenty more to be had. Nothing wrong with making it your own. Just beware of the ramifications. I'm lucky enough to have a paratrooper. I hardly shoot it but it's much better handling than a full length one.

Jimmy Deuce
02-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Can I tell you that all of you on this forum are a wealth of info. Your advice either pro or con is great Im glad I joined this forum.

Dr. Peter Venkman
02-20-2007, 12:06 PM
It's just an SKS, hack away! Plenty more to be had. Nothing wrong with making it your own. Just beware of the ramifications.

This is the same kind of thinking with sporterizing and bubba'izing every single military firearm after there was a huge surplus of them. It happened with the Mausers, the Enfields, the Finnish M28s, etc. It was not that long ago when a Russian SKS was $99. We all know now what each of these rifles in pristine condition will fetch.

Jimmy, I highly recommend that you don't cut down your SKS. The only difference you will experience is the fraction of second difference in handling when you go rest it on a mount or sandbag at your rifle range. It's not going to be more accurate or anything like that at all. There are plenty of new guns out there that you can trick out to your liking and outperform your SKS in nearly every function.

One option is to get a Tapco stock and trick out your rifle. That's another route that I considered doing when I was having a problem with my handguard and gas tube lever. I was going to get an ACU stock to match my own ACUs and get some cool gizmos to go with it. I think you'd be more satisfied doing that, and your SKS would look good at the same time without having any none-reversible modifications to it that you can switch anytime if you aren't happy. You'd probably have a lot more fun with it too.

bwiese
02-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Reminds me of all the noobs who tried to cut down 20" AR15 A2 bbls to make 16" "Dissipator" style bbls.

Lotsa cycling problems, usu requires gas port change - and then operational cycle is very harsh and can be ammo sensitive.

There's a reason 16" Dissy bbls have the front sight up front but the gas tap further back in the CAR/M4 or midlength position: these guns acutally work.

gunrun45
02-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, I guess I'm just another noob then.
I had my standard old Norinco SKS professionally cut down by a smith in oregon. Not only did I have ti chopped down but I had him cuty it back to just forward of the gas block, reinstall the front sight and a AK type fixed break to maintain legal length. I dropped it into a TAPCO stock, dropped in a US made fixed 10 round mag (not TAPCO's one), TAPCO gas pistons, Albanian charging handle and away I went.

It was SUPER cool little rifle that I really liked. It cycled 100% with whatever I fed it and strippers fed smooth in the alby bolt slot. It was my perfect example of 100% compliance in CA and 922r ;)

I needed some cash after a motorcycle accident this last summer for some bills. I sold it to a guy in Texas when nobody wanted to buy it on this forum for $400. He loves it.

I sent it to this guy http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/
His prices are posted on his page.
I would recomend getting it gunkoted while its there. He's a great guy to deal with and can do just about anything you can imagine to that SKS. To cut the barrel it cost only $80!!! 2 of my local smiths told me that it would cost over $200 just to cut the barrel down and they wouldn't reinstall the factory front sight!! Oh yeah, $75 gets you a trigger that is 100% better than the creapy gritty stock one.

Res
02-21-2007, 7:37 AM
JPglee1 cut his 59/66 down. I don't think it looks bad at all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/ResDogDM/zastava.jpg

Morales
02-21-2007, 1:08 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Peter Venkman. This is precisely why there are hacked up Swedish Mausers. At one time there were plenty, and could be had for $60. Even 10-15 years ago stuff like Swedes, and GERMAN K98ks were under 100 bucks. This is why they make drop in synthetic stocks, so bubbas don't ruin old rifles. I know its some third world POS, but there are lots of folks who love them, and want to take good care of them. And in 5 years, lets see if SKS rifles are so common still. Remember, if you want to permanently alter a Mil Surp, before you do anything to it, sell it to a guy that won't.

bobfried
02-21-2007, 1:25 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Peter Venkman. This is precisely why there are hacked up Swedish Mausers. At one time there were plenty, and could be had for $60. Even 10-15 years ago stuff like Swedes, and GERMAN K98ks were under 100 bucks. This is why they make drop in synthetic stocks, so bubbas don't ruin old rifles. I know its some third world POS, but there are lots of folks who love them, and want to take good care of them. And in 5 years, lets see if SKS rifles are so common still. Remember, if you want to permanently alter a Mil Surp, before you do anything to it, sell it to a guy that won't.

These are the sentiment, whilst I do agree with, are only personal sentiment and should not be put forth as some sort of "advice." These rifles are 3rd world, cheap POS that really does not have no significant historical or collectable value. They might some day become collectible and valuable, but how many mil-surp actually have? Sorry but if you account for inflation mil-surp, except the truly rare ones (as in total production numbers) have not gone up at all in the past 20 years. I hear people say that they paid less than $100 for their No.4 Enfields 15 years ago and how it's worth at least $175 now. Well boo-freakin-hoo, if you put that $100 into a decent investment account it would be worth a heck of a lot more.

Swedish Mauser also come up often, but I offer the Swiss K-31 as a counter example. In my book, both are equally prized, amazingly built and exceptionally accurate rifle. The Mauser about tripled in price (but again acounting for inflation it has only gone up marginally) whilst the K-31 have nose dived in value, what was a $400 rifle is now worth $150 at best.

IMO, if it takes bubbadizing a rifle to make it functional in YOUR eyes, do it. I much prefer that an old fine rifle is actually USED as oppose to sitting in some glass case some where. Not using a rifle is sacriligious in my book, no matter how rare and valuable. It was designed for one thing and if it is not even used for that it has absolutely no value in my book. And if it takes hacking the barrel, chopping the stoc, ghetto rigging the sights so that you use it, go for it. The spirit still lives on as an old dog has learned new tricks.

Would you rather be a vegetable in a hospital bed for the rest of your life? Or would you take a risk at some experimental procedure that at worst will make you loose a leg to give you your life back?

Morales
02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Just because some one wants to preserve the historical configuration of a rifle does not mean they are keeping it in a closet. This is an "either or" fallacy you are putting forth. I would say that most collectors of mil surps collect them to shoot them. The monetary value is really just a reason we give to our wives/girlfriends when they get on our case about buying ourselves beat up old rifles instead of buy junk for them. The reason K31s went down was because the market was flooded with the new ones being imported, but once that supply goes down, the price will rise again. As it is, Big 5 no longer orders them in Calfornia. Give them a few years. All of this is time related. Of course it always comes down to what the owner wants to do with their own property, but remember that these rifles will out live you. I shoot all my rifles, I have 2 K31's both with pristine bores. Am I affraid of making them "imperfect?" No, but that doesn't mean I"m going to start doing things to it that can not be refersed. Honestly, with an SKS, my feelings are mixed. Yes there are lots of them floating around, and they aren't exactly a prescision rifle the way a Swede Mauser is, or a K31, but what I am talking about is the general attitude toward pieces of history. And in truth, how many sporterizing and barrel hacking modifications improve the firing of the gun in any way? When you hack off barrel you are only achieving greater recoil, less accuracy, and less range. Barrels are a certain length for a reason. It isn't arbitrary. Because something "looks cool" is really never a good reason to do it.