PDA

View Full Version : Stripped AR lower Recently on sale for $69

s10rick
11-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I picked up one of the Lowers recently on sale with turners... and I know many others here did.

While installing the components to it this weekend, I noticed that the pistol grip screw out of a DPMS LPK could not thread in all the way(Felt tight with roughly 1/4" still left to thread in)

It could be a problem with the LPK Bolt I'm using, although it appears fine. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue?

I did not try to force it... and just backed it out to avoid making things worse.

ETA: I'm not saying anything negative about Turners or the product they sold, in fact, I'd buy another one if they go back on sale. :cool2:

Turner's Outdoorsman
11-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I picked up one of the Lowers recently on sale with turners... and I know many others here did.

While installing the components to it this weekend, I noticed that the pistol grip screw out of a DPMS LPK could not thread in all the way(Felt tight with roughly 1/4" still left to thread in)

It could be a problem with the LPK Bolt I'm using, although it appears fine. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue?

I did not try to force it... and just backed it out to avoid making things worse.

ETA: I'm not saying anything negative about Turners or the product they sold, in fact, I'd buy another one if they go back on sale. :cool2:

We've copied your post in an e-mail to our buyer and asked them to pass it along to our rep for Xtreme Machining to get their feedback.

s10rick
11-07-2011, 1:04 PM
We've copied your post in an e-mail to our buyer and asked them to pass it along to our rep for Xtreme Machining to get their feedback.

Thank you:cool2:

baih777
11-07-2011, 3:50 PM
I had the same problem using a LPK from Palmetto State Armory. I used a different grip and bolt and it worked fine. I emailed PSA because I thought it was their grip and bolt.
Opps.
I had a 1/4 inch gap also. The ergo brand grip is a nice grip to get.

Magnum Johnson
11-07-2011, 4:24 PM
I assembled one with a DPMS LPK and had zero issues.

s10rick
11-07-2011, 5:02 PM

Thats good to hear. Hopefully I am the only one that has this issue.

I did remove a grip and bolt from another lower in the safe and verified 2 things.

1) The bolt from the DPMS kit DOES thread all the way into a different lower.
2) The bolt from this other lower DOES NOT work in the Extreme Machining either.

I'll see if I can find a light that will let me see down into the threads.

indobos72
11-07-2011, 5:07 PM
I suggest you offer these again at the $69 price so we can get a few more ordered and see exactly what the issue is. ;)

blazeaglory
11-07-2011, 5:15 PM
I suggest you offer these again at the $69 price so we can get a few more ordered and see exactly what the issue is. ;)

This^^:)

s10rick
11-07-2011, 6:22 PM

I COMPLETELY AGREE

In fact, while I was building this one... (talking to myself, lol) I kept saying that I wish I would have bought a few more!!

sandsnow
11-07-2011, 7:12 PM
I assembled mine using a hammerhead and went togrther fine.

SoCal Bob
11-07-2011, 7:53 PM
I built one using what I think was a DPMS kit (I had it so long I forgot what brand it was) and had no problems.

G-forceJunkie
11-07-2011, 8:00 PM
If you guys are having problems, either the bolt is too long (because not all grips may have the same thickness where the bolt goes through) or the reciever was not tapped deep enough. Test this by sticking the bolt through the grip and note how much thread is sticking through. Mark it with a sharpie marker. Now, remove the bolt and screw it into the reciever without the grip. If it stops before you get to your mark, the bolt is too long, or reciever not tapped deep enough. Solutions: shorter bolt or run a tap and deepen the threads.

vintagedude88
12-12-2011, 8:11 PM
If you guys are having problems, either the bolt is too long (because not all grips may have the same thickness where the bolt goes through) or the reciever was not tapped deep enough. Test this by sticking the bolt through the grip and note how much thread is sticking through. Mark it with a sharpie marker. Now, remove the bolt and screw it into the reciever without the grip. If it stops before you get to your mark, the bolt is too long, or reciever not tapped deep enough. Solutions: shorter bolt or run a tap and deepen the threads.

What? Run a tap? Or cut a bolt? AR guys can't handle that.:D

Got the same lower but haven't gotten around to putting it together. When I do, I'll have the tap or the Dremel cut-off tool handy.;)

Don the savage
12-12-2011, 8:19 PM
I had the same issue with mine with a magpul grip. I put a flat washer on the screw and it solved the problem. Was the only issue I had in assembly and havent had any issues in firing. It was my first AR assembly and other than that it went well.

brptrailrider
12-13-2011, 3:53 PM
I used the Exile Machine Ca legal grip with the bolt and washer it came with... no issues.

Head416
12-27-2011, 1:30 PM

A lot of people should have Christmas money to spend that they didn't have last week... just sayin!
:D

pbsmind
12-27-2011, 4:11 PM

Ditto.

gfourth
12-27-2011, 6:28 PM
I put together one of these lowers with a DPMS LPKs for my brother in law. Same problem....

My solution? I cut about 3/16" off the bolt and continued the build :)

s10rick
12-29-2011, 2:36 PM
I bought another one of these a few weeks back that had the same problem.

Again, I just ran the tap through it. For the price, great deal.

No other issues at all with assembly. If I see them on sale again, I may just by another. lol

Speedpower
01-14-2012, 7:28 PM
What? Run a tap? Or cut a bolt? AR guys can't handle that.:D

Got the same lower but haven't gotten around to putting it together. When I do, I'll have the tap or the Dremel cut-off tool handy.;)

Don't have to do that if it's a milspec :facepalm: