i want peoples opinion on the berreta 92fs or 96fs
how does it shoot? etc.thanks

Rogue187
02-19-2007, 7:47 PM
I'll give my personal opinion..
I trust my Beretta's..
In that I own three of them.
92F/92FC/92 Compact
They all work when they should and I've had no problems with any of them.

HTH..

Franksremote
02-19-2007, 7:52 PM
Reliable (eats everything), low recoil (low reciprocating mass) and easy to service (even complete tear down). The one upgrade I recommend to all 92/96 owners is the D Spring (mainspring) swap for the lighter DA and SA pull. Can't beat the night and day difference to trigger pull for $5.

whlgun
02-19-2007, 8:00 PM
Very reliable and easy to clean. Alot of people tell me they are not accurate. I personally do not like there accuracy. The tauras version for some reason gets less complaints on accuracy. My 2 cents

ZenMastaT
02-19-2007, 8:01 PM
Reliable (eats everything), low recoil (low reciprocating mass) and easy to service (even complete tear down). The one upgrade I recommend to all 92/96 owners is the D Spring (mainspring) swap for the lighter DA and SA pull. Can't beat the night and day difference to trigger pull for $5.

That sounds like a great idea. I personally have never really considered purchasing a Beretta since I've always disliked the trigger pull, amongst other things, on them. I would certainly advise you to try out the gun on the range or in a store if you haven't already since the grip size can be somewhat contentious for some, as can the slide mounted safeties.

Satex
02-19-2007, 8:10 PM
The 92FS was my first pistol many years ago. It is still my favorite. It operates like a champ.

rorschach
02-19-2007, 8:23 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/nqo0sg.jpg

[Mr. Horse]Hmmmmmmmm......No sir. I don't like it.[Mr. Horse]

I was never able to shoot it as good as a SIG or 1911. Given the 10 round mag limit, I would rather have 10 fat .45 rounds than 10 9mm rounds.

But then if you own preban hicaps.... by all means go for it!!

D1911
02-19-2007, 8:39 PM
I like the 92 series. I carried one for years in the military and never saw one that didn't go bang when they should. They're very smooth, super reliable, but can be a bit big in the grip for some. I've owned a number of 92s over the years and recently picked up a 92 Steel-1 (all steel version). I you have the chance to get one for a reasonable price, I'd say do it. Especially if it's an Italian version (my preference).

glockk9mm
02-19-2007, 8:53 PM
The one upgrade I recommend to all 92/96 owners is the D Spring (mainspring) swap for the lighter DA and SA pull. Can't beat the night and day difference to trigger pull for $5.

Where can you get these?

califcowboy
02-19-2007, 8:58 PM
Where can you get these?

Try the Beretta forum. There are a couple of guys that sell them there. Or try Brownell's.

erblo
02-19-2007, 9:10 PM
I love my Beretta.

For parts:
http://www.olhasso.com/beretta/index.htm

krazek
02-19-2007, 9:12 PM
Very reliable and easy to clean. Alot of people tell me they are not accurate. I personally do not like there accuracy. The tauras version for some reason gets less complaints on accuracy. My 2 cents

yeah i've heard that too. that in comparison to a 1911, sig, or hk accuracy isnt all that great

classical_buff
02-19-2007, 9:18 PM
I would have to agree with one of the earlier post.
Main complaint is that the pistol is a FULL size pistol (92FS Elite II).

Person with a small hand (including me) prefers something little bit smaller. Like Glock 19 or Sig 228.

Based upon my experience, this pistol has been trouble free and enjoyable to shoot. But, I prefer Sig 228 over this pistol.

Just my 2 cents.

11Z50
02-19-2007, 9:49 PM
I didn't like the M9 (92FS) when we gave up our 1911's. The Beretta grew on me though, and I quickly became very fond of the breed. I currently use a Vertec as one of my carry guns with pre-ban mags. It gives a weapon light capability along with high ammo capacity. As for accuracy, I have found the 92-series to be very accurate; more so than the rack-grade M1911A1. In a full-size pistol, the Vertec is in the top 5 for me. I never really liked the Glock, so with me in 9mm it's the HK or Beretta.

maschronic
02-19-2007, 9:57 PM
i have a 92fs and tomcat. both are flawless. the 92fs eats anything i throw in there. very reliable!!!!

markymark
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/nqo0sg.jpg

[Mr. Horse]Hmmmmmmmm......No sir. I don't like it.[Mr. Horse]

I was never able to shoot it as good as a SIG or 1911. Given the 10 round mag limit, I would rather have 10 fat .45 rounds than 10 9mm rounds.

But then if you own preban hicaps.... by all means go for it!!
That picture makes me LOL. I'm going to use it for my avatar if you don't mind..

Franksremote
02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I love my Beretta.

For parts:
http://www.olhasso.com/beretta/index.htm

That's him. Really quick shipping at that. The factory mainspring is longer so it's definately worth it for the shorter D spring.

And this site has the diassembly/assembly videos: http://www.beretta92fs.com/

KIDRR
02-19-2007, 10:28 PM
I had a 96 for a few years and didn't like it at all. Ergo's sucked, wasn't accurate as others, didn't like the safety location. Ended up selling it for a Sig 226 in .40 and haven't looked back.

xenophobe
02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I've owned several Beretta 92's... from Italian 92F to USA 92FS models.

They're extremely accurate, reliable, and dependable. I think they are a bit grip-big, and too large for many people's hands.

STAGE 2
02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I have an M9, and I'll admit I bought it just to say I own a beretta. After all its hollywoods gun of choice right:rolleyes: That said, it is the softest recoiling 9mm I've ever shot, and mine has been utterly reliable. I'd describe it as combat accurate though by no means a tack driver.

I like mine, its fun, but I'd probably never carry it or use it for anything serious unless I had no other choice.

02-20-2007, 7:17 AM
Used them for 15 of my 21 years in the military and never saw a problem with them. I assure you the Coast Guard environment is hard on weapons in the extreme so I'm pretty impressed with the Beretta. I'd have no qualms about using one any time.

C.G.
02-20-2007, 9:00 AM
I've owned several Beretta 92's... from Italian 92F to USA 92FS models.

They're extremely accurate, reliable, and dependable. I think they are a bit grip-big, and too large for many people's hands.

Works great, but a little large for my hand.

1911whore
02-20-2007, 9:17 AM
I will say from my expierience both military and civilian they are utterly reliable, and dispite some folks accuracy issues mine have all been stock and at 15yds with good reloads and even wwb ammo I can cover the 15rd shotgroup with a silver dollar if I do my part. Low recoil, easy to shoot, and in the military capacity I used them we shot about 1,000rds a day for 3 months and not a problem with them. I mean if the gun is good enough for S.F. doorkickers it is good enough for you.

randy
02-20-2007, 9:33 AM
The highest fail rate of any gun rented at the shooting range where I work. The highest fail gun at the Firing Line shooting range in Burbank.

If it weren't for the LAPD and LASD issuing them to students we wouldn't stock them. As it is we have to have 2 or 3 to keep one on the wall.

Good luck

Bill_in_SD
02-20-2007, 1:09 PM
Small hands = Beretta Cougar

The Cougar is now being produced by Stoeger (subsidary of Beretta) at half the cost of the Cougar. Unfortunately, not on the CA approved list as a Stoeger.

I have small hands and love my Cougar, have never had any issues, I clean it often.

Bill in SD

edited to add 'CA' to approved list

luvtolean
02-20-2007, 1:15 PM
The highest fail rate of any gun rented at the shooting range where I work. The highest fail gun at the Firing Line shooting range in Burbank.

If it weren't for the LAPD and LASD issuing them to students we wouldn't stock them. As it is we have to have 2 or 3 to keep one on the wall.

Good luck

Interesting.

Anyways, small handed people, or people that like smaller grips in general, should check out the Vertec.

icormba
02-20-2007, 1:26 PM
My 92FS has been one of my favorites for the past 10 years.
Has had a couple problems though:

Was picky on ammo until I shot a couple hundred rounds, seems fine now.

Trigger return spring just broke about a month ago, but it was very easy to replace and actually still worked even when it was broken.

Took me forever to get accurate with it, after figuring it out it's become my 2nd best 9mm shooter behind the Hi Power & CZ75 (both tied for 1st).

02-20-2007, 1:34 PM
I carried one when I was in the service and never really liked it. Then again I don't relly care for 9mm either. I guess try them out and see what you like the best.

chickenfried
02-20-2007, 1:38 PM
I borrowed a friend's 92fs for a little while to try it out. Ended up deciding it wasn't for me. It was just too "okay". Everything about it to me was just okay the trigger, the accuracy, the reliability, feel in my hand, etc. There are too many choices out there, even in CA, to settle for okay.

chiefcrash
02-20-2007, 2:10 PM
here's my $0.02:

Love 'em
My 92FS eats everything i've ever tried to feed it

It only starts acting up if it's insanely dirty or dry as a bone (which if you start with a properly cleaned/lubed gun, means you don't have to worry for at least 500+ rounds)

fits comfortably in my pretty beefy hands

SA trigger pull is good for me right out of the box. I never seem to use the DA trigger pull...

Pretty damn accurate, especially with 115 grain ammo

YMWV

luvtolean
02-20-2007, 2:38 PM
here's my $0.02:

My 92FS eats everything i've ever tried to feed it

It only starts acting up if it's insanely dirty or dry as a bone (which if you start with a properly cleaned/lubed gun, means you don't have to worry for at least 500+ rounds)

fits comfortably in my pretty beefy hands

SA trigger pull is good for me right out of the box. I never seem to use the DA trigger pull...

Pretty damn accurate, especially with 115 grain ammo

YMWV

That's about what I think of my Vertec after a couple thousand rounds. (Deleting the "love it" part, but I do like it)

I plan to sell it and pick up a M9 or 92 FS as I have shot both together, and prefer the bigger grip.

Tyler
02-20-2007, 2:45 PM
I love mine, and i have never had any problems with it. If it feels nice in your hand you should get one.

boogak
02-20-2007, 5:16 PM
people say the grip is too big ,how about compared to the glock full size grip

gunrun45
02-20-2007, 6:53 PM
I carried a M96SS for a few years. I put the wilson trigger conversion kit in it for a better sear re-set, threw on a set of crimson trace grips and got a ghost rigng rear sight. Beautyful gun. I still have it but decided to move up to a 45ACP and then again to a 45ACP high cap ;)

Accuracy was pretty good for a handgun. 3 inch groups at 25 yards were the norm all day long with a Wolf (yes I said Wolf) cheapo ammo. Move on up to winchester ammo or any duty stuff and groups reduced to under 2 inches at 25 yards easy.

You can also sway out for a 9mm barrel easy with no other mods and shoot the cheaper 9mm.

Rums
02-20-2007, 9:29 PM
For those of you who say it doesn't compare to a Sig/1911/HK/other random pistol: Of course it doesn't. But its also a full 200 dollars cheaper (MSRP, not counting tax). For the money, nothing can beat an Italian Beretta.

gunrun45
02-20-2007, 10:04 PM
For those of you who say it doesn't compare to a Sig/1911/HK/other random pistol: Of course it doesn't. But its also a full 200 dollars cheaper (MSRP, not counting tax). For the money, nothing can beat an Italian Beretta.

I own H&K, Ruger, Glock, Sig, Taurus, Colt, Berretta, Khar, Remington Rand, Para Ord and a few others that don't come to mind right now off the cuff.

I like them all for different reasons. Dependability, function, utility and price follow in THAT order and no other for me.
Nothing wrong at all with a new OR used berretta IMO. I would recomend looking at the locking block and frame on a well used one as they can develope some wear and slop after about 5,000 rounds. Locking blocks are stupid simple to change yourself at home. If you don't like your accuracy out of yours, swap to a custom barrel that almost all large name barrel makers make.

maxicon
02-21-2007, 2:30 PM
I shot a friend's new 92FS at the tin can range the other day. I only put a few mags of WWB through it, but it shot well and hit the gallon jugs OK at 40 yards.

The grip was definitely big - a real hand-filler - and the gun seemed light for its size. I didn't notice anything about the recoil, which is probably good.

I like my CZ75 better, but I've been shooting it a long time, so that's only logical.

MrLogan
02-21-2007, 2:51 PM
I love my Beretta 92FS, and have had no problems with it. Very reliable, and eats just about any type of ammo that I've thrown at it.

CWM4A1
02-21-2007, 3:02 PM
I have shot 92FS before. Grip is okay, it's big but still managable, accuracy is not bad, but I don't have one and will not buy 92FS for one main reason: The safety on the slide. When there is a misfire, I was being teach tap-rack-fire; the problem with using this technique on 92FS is when I rack the slide, I often flip the safety lever down so I can't pull the following shot without manipulating the safety lever. Might not be much of a problem when I am just having fun at range, but definately not acceptable when my live is depended on it. Same goes to any gun that has a slide mounted safety.

Franksremote
02-21-2007, 3:33 PM
I have shot 92FS before. Grip is okay, it's big but still managable, accuracy is not bad, but I don't have one and will not buy 92FS for one main reason: The safety on the slide. When there is a misfire, I was being teach tap-rack-fire; the problem with using this technique on 92FS is when I rack the slide, I often flip the safety lever down so I can't pull the following shot without manipulating the safety lever. Might not be much of a problem when I am just having fun at range, but definately not acceptable when my live is depended on it. Same goes to any gun that has a slide mounted safety.

Remove it and put a decocker on instead.

ZapThyCat
02-21-2007, 4:39 PM
I have a Taurus PT92... Taurus' copy of the Beretta. How do ya'll think of that gun?

Franksremote
02-21-2007, 4:46 PM
I have a Taurus PT92... Taurus' copy of the Beretta. How do ya'll think of that gun?

I've got one too. I shoots well enough and I really like the "standard" safety on it. The only gripe I have is that it once had the barrel snap in half while someone was shooting it and luckily they didn't pull the trigger when the front end of it was dangling and the rear in full battery. Taurus took care of the problem ASAP with their warranty, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. It's been sitting in the safe ever since.

Wulf
02-21-2007, 5:55 PM
I dont care for them. Its more about failures in design than execution.

Slide mounted decocker/safetys are just flat out a bad idea, as are DA/SA trigger systems.

Likewise, there's nothing wrong with full size service pistols, or all steel guns, but chambered in 9mm!!!! Come on, if you're going to pack a full sized chunk of steel around, you might as well have a full sized heavy weight cartridge to go with it.

Long DA trigger pulls dont pass muster in this day and age or design and manufacturing technology; its simply not necessary. And a mag that holds lots of bullets at the expense of a reasonably sized, comfortable, and shootable grip is a false economy.

Execution wise however, the gun is well done, reliable, durrable, and accurate. Net result is gun that looks really great on paper and that's well capible of winning a procurement contest, but lacks the subtle refinements necessary to satisfy the human element. All in all the 92/96 are not "bad" PDW weapons, but they're not as good as they should be all things considered. All MHO of course.

69Mach1
02-21-2007, 7:31 PM
I love mine, but then again I've got a lot invested in it to get rid of it. It is my favorite 9mm target pistol because of it's accuracy. I don't like the safety, but I keep it in condition 3.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY756.jpg

SVTNate
02-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I love mine.

http://homepage.mac.com/nategjesdal/.Pictures/Handgun%20Pics%202006-2007/Beretta%2092FS/Beretta%20%231.JPG

It now has Hogue hex screws on it, but it's otherwise stock. I purchased this just a month or so ago from a fellow Cal-Gunner. It was NIB, and it about a decade old. Straight dustcover, USA made.

I hadn't shot a 92FS in many years, and didn't remember liking it. But now, I have to say that it's a great pistol.

Black Majik
02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
The 92FS is a great pistol. I recently sold a straight dustcover all metal INOX to a fellow Cal-gunner, it simply was too pretty to shoot and I ended up babying it instead of really shooting it.

But it was REALLY smooth, and quite accurate. I never had a problem with it except getting my smudgy fingerprints all over it.

The only thing I didn't like, and it's only because of me; my fingers are long so the long trigger stroke didn't let me use my pad of my finger. I had to use my first joint instead, so I really had to concentrate on the target to shoot as accurately as my other pistols. But it's a personal problem, but otherwise a fine firearm.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-22-2007, 6:47 AM
I've got Black Majik's INOX now, and it's one of my favorites to shoot. Smooth is a perfect description of the way the 92FS shoots. I don't have a problem with the SA/DA trigger pull myself, and it's only an issue on the first round anyway, at least the way I shoot. The safety takes a little getting used to, but once you have a feel for it, it's not something I would hold against the gun's design. I shoot lefty, and though the safety lever is almost identical on each side of the slide, I find it works best for me to release it on the draw with the thumb of my shooting hand, or if it's already in a double handed firing grip, to use the thumb of my support hand to release it, and to use the index finger of my shooting hand to put it back on. Being a lefty, I typically use the index finger on my shooting hand to disengage the slide lock on the Berettas and on 1911's after I put in a fresh mag, so it's a natural for me to use it to re-engage the 92FS safety.

To me, it's really an ergonomics issue. I've got large hands, but relatively short fingers. All my semi-autos are double-stacks (my 1911's are Paras) and I like the fit and feel of a double-stack, so I like feel of the Beretta 92FS.

As far as accuracy goes, while YMMV, I find the Beretta 92FS to be exceptionally accurate, most likely due to the smooth cycling and low recoil.

There's enough of them out there - try one - if it's not for you, move on - but since there are so many of them out there, it stands to reason that it's a design that works for a whole lot of us.

Clodbuster
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I can hit soda cans at the 100yd tin can range with WWB NATO using my 92FS.

Clod

I shot a friend's new 92FS at the tin can range the other day. I only put a few mags of WWB through it, but it shot well and hit the gallon jugs OK at 40 yards.

The grip was definitely big - a real hand-filler - and the gun seemed light for its size. I didn't notice anything about the recoil, which is probably good.

I like my CZ75 better, but I've been shooting it a long time, so that's only logical.

boogak
02-22-2007, 2:52 PM
I've got Black Majik's INOX now, and it's one of my favorites to shoot. Smooth is a perfect description of the way the 92FS shoots. I don't have a problem with the SA/DA trigger pull myself, and it's only an issue on the first round anyway, at least the way I shoot. The safety takes a little getting used to, but once you have a feel for it, it's not something I would hold against the gun's design. I shoot lefty, and though the safety lever is almost identical on each side of the slide, I find it works best for me to release it on the draw with the thumb of my shooting hand, or if it's already in a double handed firing grip, to use the thumb of my support hand to release it, and to use the index finger of my shooting hand to put it back on. Being a lefty, I typically use the index finger on my shooting hand to disengage the slide lock on the Berettas and on 1911's after I put in a fresh mag, so it's a natural for me to use it to re-engage the 92FS safety.

To me, it's really an ergonomics issue. I've got large hands, but relatively short fingers. All my semi-autos are double-stacks (my 1911's are Paras) and I like the fit and feel of a double-stack, so I like feel of the Beretta 92FS.

As far as accuracy goes, while YMMV, I find the Beretta 92FS to be exceptionally accurate, most likely due to the smooth cycling and low recoil.

There's enough of them out there - try one - if it's not for you, move on - but since there are so many of them out there, it stands to reason that it's a design that works for a whole lot of us.
how is the inox finish on it? in the websites it looks like matte silver,or is a bright stainless finish?

boogak
02-22-2007, 2:53 PM
oh yea, what do you guys think of the .40 version, 96fs?

Paratus et Vigilans
02-22-2007, 7:53 PM
how is the inox finish on it? in the websites it looks like matte silver,or is a bright stainless finish?

It's neither, really. Not shiny bright, but not matte either (at least not what I think of as matte). The only thing I can think of to compare its finish to is the way the metallic parts of a 35mm SLR camera are finished. You know, the bands of metal above and below the black portion of the camera body? And the housing for the viewfinder? Just like that.

Hope that helps! :)

Black Majik
02-23-2007, 10:13 AM

Glad to hear you're putting it to good use! :)

SUNDOWN45
02-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Berettas Will Take A Beating And Keep Shooting Good Solid Gun

nosewitdot
02-23-2007, 6:03 PM
i got a 92g as my first gun and love it

leego
02-23-2007, 7:56 PM
I purchased my 92F about the same time the military adopted it as ithe M9. This gun has never FTF or FTE on me in all of this time. It shoots almost as accurate as most of my other guns ( sigs P226 & P220, Colt 1911, HK USP and even the Glock 26)

swq
02-24-2007, 3:24 AM
I have an Italian made 92fs inox and 92fs vertec and have not had any problems with either pistol.

Satex
02-24-2007, 4:23 AM
I thought the Military M9 is the 92F, not 92FS?

IGOTDIRT4U
02-24-2007, 8:08 AM
I have the 96. You have to remember, the .40 cal is a completely different animal than the 9mm. Mine has been extremely reliable, never a jam, misfeed or FTF. It takes any ammo, and is real easy to maintain. I do have the usual accuracy complaints for the price group, but that is because Imainly shoot 1911's. As far as the grip, yes, it is a bit wide so medium and small hands may not like it.

69Mach1
02-24-2007, 8:53 AM
You have to like what it says about the 9mm 92 when Beretta had to do NO modifications (other than 40s&w parts) to chamber the Beretta in 40 cal. Shooting a 96 is very different from the 92 because of the very noticeable increase in "muzzle flip". By the way, I've seen complete 40 cal "uppers" for $200 so you can have two guns in one.

turinreza
02-24-2007, 3:20 PM
I swap out the 40 s&w barrel easily with a 357 sig national match barrel..
2 guns in one....
I like beretta because i know it will last longer

Tyler
02-24-2007, 3:22 PM
I thought the Military M9 is the 92F, not 92FS?

No, the fs is the same as the m9. I know the F has a little longer barrel also.