PDA

View Full Version : Last mosin question

Jimmy Deuce
02-19-2007, 7:28 PM
Does the model M44 bayonet able to be removed. I would like to put a new stock on it. Ok Ok I'll try not to ask any more mosin questions. Thanks.

berg
02-19-2007, 7:49 PM
Does the model M44 bayonet able to be removed. I would like to put a new stock on it. Ok Ok I'll try not to ask any more mosin questions. Thanks.

Yes it's just held on by one screw.

gunrun45
02-19-2007, 7:57 PM
Yes you can remove the bayo lug but your accuracy tends to suffer when it is gone as the rifle was designed to be fired with the bayo extended from what I have read. Mine was chopped off long ago in a garage experiment and cut back to 17 inches. There was a test somewhere that I read that said that the M38 was a better choice for a non-bayo type configuration.

There are several companies that make aftermarket stock for the rifle. A quick google search should net some great results.

Jimmy Deuce
02-19-2007, 7:59 PM
Thanks you guys your reply really help me.

Rugerdaddy
02-19-2007, 8:54 PM
The bayonet on my M44 is removable, but the lug is not. It is welded.

762cavalier
02-19-2007, 9:06 PM
The bayonet on my M44 is removable, but the lug is not. It is welded.

actually the lug is not welded on. It is a press fit. Once the pin is removed the lug can be driven off with a large punch and a big hammer. Set the muzzle of the barrel on a piece of wood to protect the crown.

Point of impact only changes if you remove the bayonet as they are sighted in with the bayonet on the rifle. Once the bayo and lug is removed you sight it in like any other rifle (you will have to run with a scope setup as there will be no front sight without the bayo lug unless you just grind off the lug.

Oh no collectible rifles were harmed in the madness I described. I got a 5fer from century that were a bunch of mismatches with missing parts.:D ;)

five.five-six
02-19-2007, 9:10 PM
hmm my m44 has no lug but my type 53 has the lug weilded

Rugerdaddy
02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
actually the lug is not welded on. It is a press fit. Once the pin is removed the lug can be driven off with a large punch and a big hammer.

You know, I had a close look, and I think you're right (I know,....you know you're right!) It looks like the weld is where the lug is joined to a sleeve that goes over the barrel up to the front sight. But, I don't want to take mine off anyway.

Sorry I misled you Jimmy Deuce. :o