PDA

View Full Version : deprime issue with lee die

ns3v3n
02-19-2007, 6:48 PM
i've having trouble depriming S&B auto .45 casing with my lee dies. it will actually push my pin up from my die and not deprime, it will work with other cases. anyone have silmilar problems?

ocabj
02-19-2007, 7:21 PM
Simply tighten the nut holding the stem more than it is now. The primer pockets on the S&B brass is probably tighter than other brass, or even crimped.

The fact that the stem is being pushed up the die is a good thing. The Lee decapping stem is designed to push up under stress so the stem or pin does not break.

ns3v3n
02-19-2007, 7:34 PM
yeah i just figured it out, tighten the top part and now it deprimes it with no problem. i'm just worried that it's too tight and it will break my pin. but lee's manual said their depriming pins are near indestructible. so we'll see what happens.

ocabj
02-19-2007, 7:51 PM
yeah i just figured it out, tighten the top part and now it deprimes it with no problem. i'm just worried that it's too tight and it will break my pin. but lee's manual said their depriming pins are near indestructible. so we'll see what happens.

Yes, the Lee depriming pin design is surprisingly good. I have and RCBS universal decapping die that I used to use all the time. Then awhile back I was trying to deprime LC M2 brass and I was breaking pins every 5 cases or so. Then I snapped the stem. RCBS sent me a new stem, but I decided to try out the Lee universal decapping die. Been using that ever since.

xrMike
02-19-2007, 8:47 PM
I've heard a couple people at the range say they won't pick up S&B brass because the pockets are "tight" which makes depriming and especially priming them difficult.

LCAZES
02-19-2007, 9:08 PM
S&B is one of my favorite headstamps for just this reason. You can reload it until it splits or you lose it. It is very durable brass with primer pockets that will never loosen up too much. Ill take all of it that you dont want :)