PDA

View Full Version : Options for purchasing an M1A

DJDace
02-19-2007, 3:48 PM
Hello everyone,

I am hoping that with my coming tax return I will be able to finally invest in a Springfield M1A Standard. My question to other SoCal residents is where would you suggest I look to find one at a reasonable price?

Most places I have looked around (the Valley, Pasadena, L.A) have only stocked either SOCOM's or Loaded, NM or SM versions. If need be, I could talk myself into spending more to get a Loaded model. In the long run, the plan is to get a JAE-100 stock, Harris Bipod and eventually a super match barrel and 2 stage trigger. It will be a nice work in progess for me over the coming months.

So, any suggestions from other M1A owners, possible places to shop around at or even order from? Any and all advice and insights are welcome and appreciated.

donger
02-19-2007, 3:55 PM
IIRC all of my M1A's have a two stage trigger.

Your best bet would be to try and locate a safe queen built before the mid 1990's with some/all USGI parts.

Good luck.

ocabj
02-19-2007, 4:08 PM
Getting a "super match" barrel needs to be clarified. The basic loaded model has a 1 in 11" twist barrel, where as the Super Match model has a 1 in 10" Douglas barrel. I can't attest to the quality of the barrel on the Super Match as shipped by Springfield. Douglas makes a good blank, but it's the person that chambers and finishes the barrel that determines whether or not it's any good. You can get Douglas blanks, but you need to find a good smith who can install and finish ream the barrel, and hand lap it appropriately.

Given the fact that you want to swap stocks, then it would probably best to get the basic loaded model anyway. The SuperMatch will be bedded, and there's no point in paying another $1k on a rifle that is custom bedded only to take the action from the stock to put it in another stock.

Matt C
02-19-2007, 4:09 PM
IIRC all of my M1A's have a two stage trigger.

Your best bet would be to try and locate a safe queen built before the mid 1990's with some/all USGI parts.

Good luck.

Agree 100%. Try Arfcom, and these sites:

http://www.m14firinglineforum.com/upload/index.php

http://www.warrifles.com/forums/index.php (http://www.warrifles.com/forums/index.php)

Crazed_SS
02-19-2007, 5:55 PM
My M1A Loaded w/ Synthetic Stock and Stainless Barrel cost $1580.. Kinda high price i guess, but that's the lowest price I could find at local gun shops. Plus I dont mind paying a little extra to support local shops.

anotherted
02-19-2007, 6:12 PM
Holy crap. I bought mine a few years back for $1150.00+DROS.

BTW, it hasnt exploded yet!

tcp
02-19-2007, 9:00 PM
at the last costa mesa gunshow i saw a few m1a's, i believe the lowest price i saw was in the $1300's.

E Pluribus Unum
02-19-2007, 9:06 PM
These people telling you to buy older ones with all USGI parts are full of carp in my opinion. I am part of an M1A enthusiasts club and we all have M1As made after 2001 and have had NO troubles.

The rifles have a 100% lifetime warranty; buy and be confident!

JAFGO
02-19-2007, 9:35 PM
These people telling you to buy older ones with all USGI parts are full of carp in my opinion. I am part of an M1A enthusiasts club and we all have M1As made after 2001 and have had NO troubles.

Yeah, those old USGI parts are all "CARP"!

Matt C
02-19-2007, 9:55 PM
These people telling you to buy older ones with all USGI parts are full of carp in my opinion.

Try to restrain yourself from the personal attacks please, it's annoying. If you thing late model parts are just as good as older ones, than by all means say so, but don't say other members are full of "carp". It's rude.

Bolt2Bounce
02-19-2007, 11:53 PM
these people telling you to buy older ones with all USGI parts are full of carp in my opinion. I am part of an M1A enthusiasts club and we all have M1As made after 2001 and have had NO troubles.

The USGI parts are Forged that is a (better) and more expensive way to make them. The parts have a longer life under stress, they are harder and more resistant to hard use. The USGI barrels are hard chrome lined they can shoot 75000 rounds before they need to be changed. The USGI parts are truly mil spec. and have been gauged and magnufluxed MP'd inspected. Springfield Armory Inc makes a great civilian copy of the M14. But they are not better then the original rifles. Built by Winchester TRW H&R and The REAL Springfield Armory US ARMY ARMORY) not a company owned by civilians. SFI used USGI parts until they ran out of them, they have been using cast parts to replace the USGI ones. B2B

Josh
02-20-2007, 12:10 AM
All M1As have a 2 stage trigger, dosent come another way. Also if youre going to go with a match barrel get it from the start as it will save you money and time. Cant help you with finding one, sorry.

E Pluribus Unum
02-20-2007, 8:38 AM
The USGI parts are Forged that is a (better) and more expensive way to make them. The parts have a longer life under stress, they are harder and more resistant to hard use. The USGI barrels are hard chrome lined they can shoot 75000 rounds before they need to be changed. The USGI parts are truly mil spec. and have been gauged and magnufluxed MP'd inspected. Springfield Armory Inc makes a great civilian copy of the M14. But they are not better then the original rifles. Built by Winchester TRW H&R and The REAL Springfield Armory US ARMY ARMORY) not a company owned by civilians. SFI used USGI parts until they ran out of them, they have been using cast parts to replace the USGI ones. B2B

I know that forged parts are better. I know all about the M14 type rifles. I have been a fan for the last 10 years.

I have owned all-USGI versions, and I have owned the commercial version. Currently my only M1A is a commercial version purchased in 2001. I have NEVER had an issue with ANY of the aftermarket commercial parts within my M1A rifles.

My point is one has to choose a rifle on an individual basis. I would much rather have a newly manufactured Springfield Armory M1A than an older USGI parted version that has a worn out barrel.

I would also rather have a brand new SA M1A than a Chicom or other Chinese copy that just happened to have USGI parts. I know that no matter what happens to my rifle SA will fix it.

P.S.
I am not an idiot. "Carp" is my word, I have used it many times in other posts, it is not a typo.

E Pluribus Unum
02-20-2007, 8:41 AM
Try to restrain yourself from the personal attacks please, it's annoying. If you thing late model parts are just as good as older ones, than by all means say so, but don't say other members are full of "carp". It's rude.

It is not an attack on you personally; it was a general statement. I said that in my opinion you were full of carp. That is not attacking you, only your opinion.

ocabj
02-20-2007, 8:52 AM
Trying to steer the discussion back to the original poster's question, I feel that given the thread author's desired usage, the Springfield Armory Inc M1A Standard Loaded model would be the best option.

Buy the Standard Loaded, get the JAE-100 stock, and get the bipod. Then shoot it. Shoot the barrel out, then get a Krieger or a Barnett barrel and maybe have the action bedded to the JAE-100 stock when you have it.

JWC6
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Ade's of Orange had what looked like a nice national match with stainless barrel on display yesterday. 223 S. tustin St, Orange CA 714-744-3373.

phil conrad
02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Martin B. Rettings in Culver City usually has most models in stock.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-20-2007, 3:35 PM

Actually a GI chromed lined M-14 barrel is good for 20K+ rounds...... regular carbon steel barrels (chrome molly) are good for 7K or so rounds

DJDace
02-20-2007, 3:57 PM
Trying to steer the discussion back to the original poster's question, I feel that given the thread author's desired usage, the Springfield Armory Inc M1A Standard Loaded model would be the best option.

Buy the Standard Loaded, get the JAE-100 stock, and get the bipod. Then shoot it. Shoot the barrel out, then get a Krieger or a Barnett barrel and maybe have the action bedded to the JAE-100 stock when you have it.

This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to see. Thanks a ton for the recommendation. After some thought I figured the Loaded model would be my best bet considering I plan to add a JAE-100 stock on it. I think your advice to shoot the stock barrel till its done is a good suggestion as well. I can take that time to get a good feel for my rifle and really figure out what more it is I want out of her.

Thank you as well to everyone else giving suggestions on local shops to check out that may carry what I am looking for. And thank you as well for insights into standard components M1A's come with. After speaking with my friend again the trigger on his M1A was a custom adjustment to get it to match grade with a lower pound consistent pull I beleive.

Anyone have any recommendations as for mounting an ACOG on it? I was looking at the Trijicon 4x32 ACOG TA01B calibrated for .308 with Full Line Red illumination. It has at least a 2-3 month ordering period, so I will have a wait on my hands for my optics as well as my stock probably :)

odysseus
02-20-2007, 4:01 PM
Problem with the ACOG is eye relief outside a relatively high cheek weld needed. I tried thinking of this too on a build, and really wanted it, but the acog doesn't seem to work well with it's limitations in eye relief. And you don't want your socket right on the scope either...

mltrading
02-20-2007, 4:21 PM
Save some fund for ARMS or SEI scope mounts. Also remember to buy a good scope. You won't be satisified with only iron sights.

63 tango
02-20-2007, 7:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I am hoping that with my coming tax return I will be able to finally invest in a Springfield M1A Standard. My question to other SoCal residents is where would you suggest I look to find one at a reasonable price?

Most places I have looked around (the Valley, Pasadena, L.A) have only stocked either SOCOM's or Loaded, NM or SM versions. If need be, I could talk myself into spending more to get a Loaded model. In the long run, the plan is to get a JAE-100 stock, Harris Bipod and eventually a super match barrel and 2 stage trigger. It will be a nice work in progess for me over the coming months.

So, any suggestions from other M1A owners, possible places to shop around at or even order from? Any and all advice and insights are welcome and appreciated.
i have a sa m1a standard that i bought new last year. it hasnt had any problems and its a sweet rifle. it has no usgi parts. that i know of. wish it was all usgi for bragging rites. dont know if it would be any more reliable. because i havent had any problems with it

DJDace
02-22-2007, 11:56 AM
I have so far found one quote for approx $2300 for a new SA Standard M1A with JAE-100 Stock which isn't too bad of a price considering a new M1A Standard would run me approx $1300-$1400 and the JAE-100 Stock is about $780 with all the options I want. Considering they will do all the gunsmithing associated with attaching the stock, alignment etc I think that's a reasonable price.

I guess once I secure the rifle my only other tasks will be getting a nice Benchrest Harris Bipod, a Leatherwood M1A Ultimate Scope Mount and a Trijicon TA55A ACOG 5.5x50 Red Chevron BAC Flattop .308 Reticle Riflescope.

With how much this sucker is going to cost me I can't see myself even wanting another gun for about a year but wow will it be worth it! :)

odysseus
02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
What lead you to the Trijicon TA55A ACOG 5.5x50 Red Chevron BAC Flattop308 Reticle Riflescope? I have considered it, but found the issue of it's high mount and little eye relief an issue.

anotherted
02-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Plus its friggin HUGE.

Astig Boy
02-22-2007, 1:59 PM
What made you chose that scope mount also? I would much rather have a mount that still allows you use of the iron sights. And why that particular scope?...That thing is $$$...I dont know, Id much rather get a scope that has more magnification then 5.5....a 10 at least. You can get a Nightforce for the price I see people ask for the trijicon.

GTKrockeTT
02-22-2007, 2:12 PM
This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to see. Thanks a ton for the recommendation. After some thought I figured the Loaded model would be my best bet considering I plan to add a JAE-100 stock on it. I think your advice to shoot the stock barrel till its done is a good suggestion as well. I can take that time to get a good feel for my rifle and really figure out what more it is I want out of her.

You are a wise man...;)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/994/img1096resizemediumgk7.jpg
http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/5488/img1094mediumsk9.jpg

Budd
02-22-2007, 2:20 PM
Very nice!^^^^

madjack956
02-22-2007, 3:47 PM
You are a wise man...;)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/994/img1096resizemediumgk7.jpg
http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/5488/img1094mediumsk9.jpg

very nice looking rig you got there.. I am assuming that is a SAI receiver so my question is, what scope mount did you use? I have a newer Supermatch and bought an ARMS mount for it and it didn't fit. My reciever is out of spec. I know this because I tried the mount on a Fulton reciever and an early USGI reciever with no problem. I also have a SS scope like yours with the ARD, but I had to put it on my bolt rifle. They are a good value. Beautiful stock you have also.
Did the stock improve your cheek weld over the factory stock?

DJDace
02-22-2007, 4:09 PM
I chose that scope mount due to its low profile and affordable price (in comparison to similar low profile M1A mounts). I have a hard on for ACOG's okay! :P besides that model is good out to 1000+ yards, is calibrated for .308 caliber, has bullet drop compensation and looks badass! This is to be my cash-sink super-gun for all time. This it the one gun I spend WAY to much money on and I want the things I want on it for so many reasons, not the least of which is because in my head they look friggin amazing together.

Also, GTKrockeTT you setup looks almost identical to what I have in mind (minus the scope of course). The Leatherwood scope mount looks just like that. I think I am going to go with the Grey stock with Black highlights. I also plan to put a faux can on it just because!

This will be my range Queen gun. A rifle that I spend ludicrous amounts of money on because I work hard and I deserve a beautiful toy (note: Guns Are Not Toys - its a turn of phrase :P).

I hope against hope that it will turn out just as amazing in reality as it is in my head. I also hope that all my over-time at work pays off and that once my tax return is in that sometime in the next month or 2 I can own my dream rifle :)

Thanks for all the input guys, keep the questions and suggestions coming!

rayra
02-22-2007, 4:59 PM
From the areas you mentioned, I'd suggest approaching your local Turner's Outdoorsman outlets and telling them exactly what you want, they should be able and willing to get it in for you.

odysseus
02-22-2007, 5:41 PM
I have a hard on for ACOG's okay! :P besides that model is good out to 1000+ yards, is calibrated for .308 caliber, has bullet drop compensation and looks badass! !

Perhaps I am not being understood. Have you seen it mounted and tried it out? I had a deep thread on this awhile ago on the m-14 forums, and pretty much everyone who had a hard on for doing this said it was "no joy". The cheek weld was too high (say "jaw weld"), and from a position it would be in, no eye relief that made sense. Some people bought and then had to sell or use it somewhere else. I even had an email exchange with a Trijicon rep about it, and they agreed it probably wasn't a good application for the m1a/m14.

I am wondering if you know about something changed or a good different idea on applying the acog on one? Otherwise you might be in the boat of a painful purchase that doesn't work well.

donger
02-22-2007, 6:23 PM
very nice looking rig you got there.. I am assuming that is a SAI receiver so my question is, what scope mount did you use? I have a newer Supermatch and bought an ARMS mount for it and it didn't fit. My reciever is out of spec. I know this because I tried the mount on a Fulton reciever and an early USGI reciever with no problem. I also have a SS scope like yours with the ARD, but I had to put it on my bolt rifle. They are a good value. Beautiful stock you have also.
Did the stock improve your cheek weld over the factory stock?

Not GTK but it looks like a Sadlak mount.

If your SAI is out of spec, call up Sadlak and they will custom fit a mount for your receiver after they send you out some measuring pins. After measuring, a custom mount can be produced.

linky: http://www.sadlak.com/si_custom_sm_fitting.html

DJDace
02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Perhaps I am not being understood. Have you seen it mounted and tried it out? I had a deep thread on this awhile ago on the m-14 forums, and pretty much everyone who had a hard on for doing this said it was "no joy". The cheek weld was too high (say "jaw weld"), and from a position it would be in, no eye relief that made sense. Some people bought and then had to sell or use it somewhere else. I even had an email exchange with a Trijicon rep about it, and they agreed it probably wasn't a good application for the m1a/m14.

I am wondering if you know about something changed or a good different idea on applying the acog on one? Otherwise you might be in the boat of a painful purchase that doesn't work well.

No I understand exactly what you are saying. I have seen one but not mounted on an M1A. I have shot M1A with traditional rifle scopes and I found the eye relief to be a pain in the butt. From what I understand about the TA55A is that it has a longer eye relief specifically for use with higher caliber rifles and a large exit pupil which makes it easier and faster to aquire a target. Target aquisition was one of the primary problem I personally had with higher power traditional hunting style rifle scopes (maybe things would be different with a Tactical style scope).

Obviously with the kind of cash I would need to throw down on this type of scope I would do everything in my power to at least have one mounted temporarily in a shop so I could test the position of the scope relative to my eye when holding the rifle at Benchrest. Also the TAE-100 stock has an adjustable cheek-rest which could very well eliminate the problem you mentioned regarding "jaw-weld".

In the end I would like very much to find a way to sample this scope/rifle combo (or even an ACOG period on an M1A) before I buy. It just seemed to be that with the low mounting Leatherwood scope mount and the flat-top adaptor the TA55A comes standard with that I could eliminate any uncomfortable or akward scope positioning issues.

Then again I could be totally out of my mind too. Either way I really appreciate you playing the devils advocate for me on this particular part of my plan, as it IS a hefty sum to invest for my optics.

odysseus
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Then again I could be totally out of my mind too. Either way I really appreciate you playing the devils advocate for me on this particular part of my plan, as it IS a hefty sum to invest for my optics.

No prob - you had warmed up a "cold-case file" of mine on this subject. Let me know how it goes. I like the acogs too and that .308 version would seem sweet on the m1a.

DJDace
02-22-2007, 10:36 PM
No prob - you had warmed up a "cold-case file" of mine on this subject. Let me know how it goes. I like the acogs too and that .308 version would seem sweet on the m1a.

Oh be sure I will let you know, in fact I hope that once I have the rifle completed I could have some fellow Calgunners come put a few mags worth of ammo through it to try it for themselves!

Thanks again odysseus!

DJDace
02-24-2007, 9:28 AM
Well it looks like none of my plans or preparations will mean anything now :(

After 11 years of faithful service, my wife was fired from her job. No severance package, no nothing.

I hope we can recover from this, I will be lucky to keep my house let alone build any new rifles.

Maybe sometime next year instead.

Wildhawk66
02-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your wifes job. Best of luck to you and your family.

DJDace
02-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your wifes job. Best of luck to you and your family.

Much appreciated. It certainly makes you appreciate the things you have alot more when you realize how easy it is to come close to losing it :)

madjack956
02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hell, if there's any place the economy is good for job hunting its LA. With 11 years experience, your wife should know what she's doing in whatever field she was in. She'll get a job sooner than you think. Don't fret. Good Luck, and don't give up on your gun plans.

DJDace
02-24-2007, 1:35 PM
Hell, if there's any place the economy is good for job hunting its LA. With 11 years experience, your wife should know what she's doing in whatever field she was in. She'll get a job sooner than you think. Don't fret. Good Luck, and don't give up on your gun plans.

Oh I won't give up, I have the gun-bug way to bad to throw in the towel :) I'll just work extra hard, scrimp and save where I can and build it up over time!

Thanks for all the kind words and support, it's much appreciated!