PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some good jerky recipes!

damon1272
11-05-2011, 7:38 PM
I am picking up my new dehydrator next week. Went in on the largest dehydrator that Cabelas sells. I will be doing fruits and vegetables but one of the most important things is beef jerky and any other type of meat that I can dehydrate.
I do prefer the softer jerky as opposed to the dry types but I am unsure how long it would last in storage. I do plan on stock piling in mylar and buckets but I need to develop some good recipes. So let me know what your favorites are!.
Thanks

thenodnarb
11-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Honestly the pre mixed seasoning packets at bass pro are excellent. I made some venison jerky this year and used the mesquite flavor seasoning. Absolutely fantastic. Best jerky I've ever had. However, it was the dry kind. I haven't figured out how to make soft jerky like the jacks links stuff. Since you make it from raw meat, I don't know how that would work having soft jerky. I imagine it would be like medium rare jerky, which doesn't sound good.

FrankG
11-05-2011, 10:41 PM
i actually use a jerky "gun" like a caulking gun. http://www.basspro.com/Jerky-Gun/product/45523/47322 it works great and you use ground meats and dry them out that way....very yummy and softer strips to eat. you can make round or flat strips too.

frank

G-Man WC
11-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Lem Products. There a one stop shop.
Everything you will need is here.
-g

http://www.lemproducts.com/processing

problemchild
11-06-2011, 7:29 AM
I have some killer recipes, let me see if I can find them. It took me years to make the perfect jerky from scratch.

Dubious_Beans
11-06-2011, 8:06 AM
Nothin' but some salt & pepper on the meat and put it in the smoker for about 6 - 8 hours over some apple wood.

Perfection!

puropuro
11-06-2011, 8:29 AM
I got a couple recipes on my bbq site. (non-commercial)
www.randyq.com

damon1272
11-06-2011, 1:37 PM
PC I knew you would have something up your sleve.

Randy, nice site, some good info. I must confess, I break some (a lot) of your BBQ taboos but with good results.

SoCalJ
11-06-2011, 4:18 PM
I have the smaller one (80 liters)from Cabela's. It holds 15 lbs. of meat sliced about 3/16's of an inch thick......which works out to about 6 -7 lbs. of dried. I buy the meat from Costco. I use about 2/3 teriyaki and 1/3 soy and a little seasoning. The hardest part for me was getting the meat sliced correctly, finally just got my own slicer.

Would like to try a pepper or worcestershire recipe!

Good Luck!

puropuro
11-06-2011, 6:22 PM
PC I knew you would have something up your sleve.

Randy, nice site, some good info. I must confess, I break some (a lot) of your BBQ taboos but with good results.

No worries, I don't judge.....it's just I figure we should instruct in the classical way, and let folks decide how they chose to stray. :)

Results are all that matter in the end....