View Full Version : Smith and Wesson question

02-19-2007, 9:15 AM
I was looking at the CA doj list of appoved handguns today......

I have been toying about getting a model 629 this summer. They list model 629-6 is approved in various barell lengths. Now for the real question...

Does anyone know when they started make the Model 629-6?

Are there pre-lock models out there in 629-6?

If 629-6 was made w/o the lock can they be brought into the state?

Thanks for your help. :)

Brass Balls
02-19-2007, 9:22 AM
I am pretty sure that all of the -6 models have the lock. While I also would prefer not to have the lock, the revolvers that I own with locks have never given me any trouble and therefore I wouldn't pass up an otherwise good deal due to the lock jm2c fwiw.

02-19-2007, 9:49 AM
If you found a 629 used without a lock, I'd bet it's not a 629-6 and therefore not an approved 'not unsafe handgun'.

However, if you could arrange a price with its Calif. owner, you could PPT it thru a dealer (as opposed to the dealer selling an unapproved handgun).

However, S&W build quality appears to have increased about the time the locks were being designed in. You're better off buying a new & improved one with a lock rather than an older used gun without.

Build quality on S&W revolvers I've seen in the last 2 years has been stunning - a buddy's 686, my 625, as well as some others I've seen all are tight, marvellous triggers, and tack-driver accurate.

My 1988 686 6", while a nice gun, is not as nice in fit, finish, accuracy or trigger feel as my buddy's 2005-purchased 4" 686.

02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bill,

That is my delema. I wasn't sure if there were any 629-6's without the lock.

I guess I mmight to end up with the lock unless they for some reason stop making them with it.

Its good to hear that the current models are great quality. I am just opposed to the lock.

02-19-2007, 1:05 PM
The last 629 without the lock was the 629-5 although it does not have the lock, it does have a frame mounted firing pin and MIM trigger and Hammer.

Your best bet is to hit the local gun shops and find a used one. I normally find .44Magnums in pretty nice shape since most people who bought them took the plunge for the nostalgia and couldn't handle the recoil or much of it.

02-20-2007, 5:30 AM
Don't let the lock deny you enjoyment of the current offerings.

Have a gander at the resurrected 29.

02-20-2007, 6:32 PM
Now if that only came with a Bisley grip...

-- Parag

02-22-2007, 9:35 AM
It's current production grips that come with the 29-10. These grips are purdy but they skinned my thumb's web and drew blood after two shots. Granted that my handloads were a little exhilarating...

HUTCH 7.62
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Performance center smiths are really nice and the fit and finish is awsome, but the fit and finish on some of the new non performance smiths I have seen over the years are left something to be desired. but not to say they were defective in some way, just not as nice as the 70's and older smiths were. with that said I would definatly be picky and if you can afford it get the performance center 629. You can never go wrong with a Smith. I just picked up a new 686-6 with the Power Port and it's loud but it's soooo easy to shoot it's like shooting a .38

02-22-2007, 10:59 AM
70s Smiths were made under Bangor Punta. That era (and Lear Ziegler) were the worst years in Smith's history. When you have guns that were OOC out of the box then you know there are issues. I pass on Bangor/Lear Ziegler guns. My Smiths have that gap in chronology. The Brits, while they jumped in bed with the Antis, actually turned quality around.

I agree that older Smiths are nice (vintage is always nice), but doubt that they are fitted better. They were made by rows of machinists who manufactured parts by the tens of thousands. For example: S&W made 15K model 56s in one year ('62). That's just one model. Lord knows how many of the real popular models they made that year. If a fitter worked 365 days a year he had to fit 41 of these M56s in every day to make that number. Sure there is more than one fitter but I'm just offering a perspective of the scale of S&W's operation in the "old days". It was a big process that churned out guns by the pallets. Not much time was dedicated to handfitting as we'd like to believe. OTOH, CNC never gets tired, doesn't have a bad day, does the same job over and over exactly the same, doesn't feel Mondays or Fridays. This makes the new guns more consistent.

I have both old and new and the new are just like the old with the addition of undesirable features like MIM and the zit.

HUTCH 7.62
02-22-2007, 9:34 PM
I agree but in my case My 1976 vintage mod.66 is a nicer weapon than my 2004 686-6. the 66 has a nicer trigger and hammer (alot like the performance center guns) vs the 686 stamped steel trigger and hammer. the mod. 66's trigger is also alot smoother and your finger nail does'nt catch between the frame and trigger cover plate like my 686-6. But in the 686's defence it is a nicer weapon to shoot and can take 357 all day long whereas the 66 although also a .357 can only really take the abuse of .38spl. I want a performace center 629 next probaly trade my wife for it.