PDA

View Full Version : New P99 Pics and Praise

Spent Shell
02-19-2007, 9:07 AM
First here's the pics of my new Walther P99 AS 9mm

http://desertdave.smugmug.com/photos/130332230-L.jpg

http://desertdave.smugmug.com/photos/130332260-L.jpg

I really think this gun is one of the best kept secrets in handguns today (and it's CA approved before the mag disconnect requirement!) so I thought I'd help spread the word.

It's ONLY a great gun if your priorities are the same as mine, here's what I was looking for. I needed a 9mm, having shot plenty but never owned one it was time. I wanted a high quality, polymer combat/practical shooting pistol in DA/SA. The DA/SA really cuts your choices down, and no to start the old debate over if DA/ DAO/SAFE action/SA is better, for this gun DA/SA is what I wanted.

I really enjoy my HK USP variant 1 in .45 and gave it heavy consideration in 9mm. If you are an HK fan you know what I mean. For the way I like to shoot the only major shortcoming of the HK is the length of the trigger reset for fast shooting. Practically it's fine, but I've always been jealous of the Glocks quick reset, to bad I'm not a fan of the other aspects of the trigger pull.

So my search started for the right gun. I saw a few reviews on the P99 with very satisfied owners, but it seemed almost an obscure gun, and if it was that good everyone would want one.....right? I didn't pay much attention to it. Not until I saw a review comparing the fast reset to the Glock did I really start to investigate it, and I found may fanatical owners. After all the research I just had to have one, so I bought one.

Without getting into a major review, it's very accurate, comparing accuracy to the HK, or Sig or any other quality firearm would be splitting hairs as my shooting isn't good enough to say one has a half inch better/worse group at 25 yards, in that department I'd have to say they are all equal for me.

The P99 AS is a striker fired DA, which in all pacticality gives me the DA/SA that I wanted with a VERY short reset, almost the best of both worlds. After shooting the P99 going back to the USP felt like the reset was a mile long, comparatively very bad. Definately the 99 is more fun shooting rapid fire and doubletaps. For target work the SA is very crisp, not quite 1911 but along those lines. The secret is to just release the trigger to the reset point after a shot, even if you realease it all the way, it does have a fair amount of take up, but you can easily pull through that to a precise reak point and then aim. The trigger IS a bit gritty when new, so don't be scared when testing one at a shop. I dry fred with a snap cap 1500 times before shooting it and that smoothe it out a ton. In the last week I've fired 1500 rounds at the range and in the mountains an it's smooth as butter now. The characteristics of the trigger are similar to a USP as far as take up etc, but the Walther is definately smoother on DA. The AS trigger also give a third option for those tha don't like a DA first shot, when first cocked the single action will be light but have the DA length of pull, very safe (striker safety etc.) and easy to control. I find the decocked DA to be fine for me.

The ergonomics are excellent as well. Haven't let anyone hold it that didn't comment on how good it feels. And it comes with three different backstraps.They also have a compact version for you guys that like to let your pinky hang.

After 1500 rounds zero failures, an the first 1000 were without cleaning. Basically what I got is a quality gun on par with my HK, with a little better trigger, MUCH better reset, more comfortable and to boot reasonably priced at about $600. Dare I say I like it better than my USP (gasp)

I'm really suprised this gun isn't recommended more. It's not for everyone by any means, but if your priorites are similar to mine this is an excellent option. Just thought I'd put this out there for others to consider, it deserves more attention. I'm glad I stumbled upon it myself.

BTW- I had three Glock guys at the range try it, two of which were a little curious but not very intrested. After a mag or two each ALL of them were asking me "how much" or where they could get one :D

Mr. Ed
02-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Congratulations. I had a two-tone P99. I sold it and have seller's remorse. It was the most accurrate pistol I had. I was snappier in the recoil than most other 9s I've owned, but it was shooter.

Socal858
02-19-2007, 11:02 AM
i shot that gun a few weeks ago wtih friends and i fell in love with it. wonderful ergonomics, smooth function, accuracy, awesomely light trigger and good reset

got to shoot it alongside a USP compact, M&P, sigma, bag o' glocks, and a jennings (LOL)

i liked it the best, with the USP coming in second

where did you order yours from? the anti stress AS model is much more rare nowadays since the asshats who import them (S&W) are concentrating on the QA/glock style trigger pull to market to law enforcement.

Spent Shell
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
where did you order yours from? the anti stress AS model is much more rare nowadays since the asshats who import them (S&W) are concentrating on the QA/glock style trigger pull to market to law enforcement.

Yeah the AS is hard to find in CA right now.

From what I understand it's getting ones with 10 rounders that's rare as you can find plenty out of state if you look. I called everywhere an couldn't find one in the bay area, and no distibuters had them. I checked all my options an seemed no one online was willing to swap the mags for 10 rounders. I did find one guy that would ship without any mags an give me $50 off his price, which would be a decent option as buying mags isn't a problem. Finally I called a shop in the east bay area that had one in stock, I drove there the next day an bought it. It's the only fullsize AS I'd seen in the bay area, I did however see two compacts and of course a ton of QAs (not my thing).

Remember don't get to worried about paying "to much" to get one shipped. I always laugh at that because most of he time the difference between a good deal and "to much" is what you'd spend on ammo for a good day at the range.

Good luck.

PLINK
02-19-2007, 12:02 PM
I have the P99's littler brother, the P22. I have a 2005 date code and it has never had a problem using Remington Golden Bullets and Mini Mags. It would be a great addition to your 9mm. I currently don't have any polymer HG's right now but will check out the Walther before buying another.

ZenMastaT
02-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the review - I too was considering going after one of these, alongside a USP, but couldn't find much information on the different trigger systems etc. Wonderful photographs as well.

Spent Shell
02-19-2007, 1:04 PM
I have the P99's littler brother, the P22. I have a 2005 date code and it has never had a problem using Remington Golden Bullets and Mini Mags. It would be a great addition to your 9mm. I currently don't have any polymer HG's right now but will check out the Walther before buying another.

Sorry, I have a Mark II for my .22 plinking, nothing like a sweet single action when I don't need DA for anything :D

Keep in mind that besides looks, the functional design of the P22 is completely different than the P99 so they really can't be compared for anything other than looks, possibly feel as a P22 is similar in size to the 99 compact. That being said the P22 sure is a cool lookin gun!

wutzu
02-19-2007, 2:03 PM
I just picked up my SW-99. It's a 9mm AS trigger, just with a different looking slide. I love the way it feels in my hand, and the trigger reset is nice. Now if only my M-3 would fit on the rail...

I'll put up some pictures when I get back from class

xenophobe
02-19-2007, 6:00 PM
Another P99 convert! Congrats on your purchase, you won't be disappointed one bit. ;)

aca72
02-20-2007, 11:34 AM
"I really think this gun is one of the best kept secrets in handguns today..."

+1

Excellent review!

Chunky_lover
01-26-2008, 1:45 PM
Hey whats with the ca mag disconnect i never heard about that, also around 5 years ago I bought a sw99 9mm, put around 1500 rounds through and somehow the firing pin broke and you have to send it in to s&w to be repaired after spending $40 at my local gunsmith who said the firing pin is a listed part so you cant order one. I was dissapointed that the firing pin broke because that is one of the guns I keep loaded and ready to go, im just glad I found out about the pin at the range and not in some emergency.

FlyingPen
01-26-2008, 3:16 PM
I believe the SW99 uses a Walther lower and a SW upper.

I'm trying to decide between a P99 and a CZ SP01... I really liked the P99 I fired and it's a cool movie gun but I really want to get a CZ as well.

This is of course if I don't end up joining the 1911 club first with a Dan Wesson 1911.

Damn CA and our stupid 30 day pistol laws!

Gnote
01-26-2008, 4:06 PM
As of a month ago, we now have two P99s in the family. Both are the original version used by the last two bond actors. Before the second P99, never had a gun in the safe that was never shot. We aren't the type to "collect" but the second one has gone in the safe and only comes out for admiration. The first was shot again just yesterday.