PDA

View Full Version : What do I have and how can I tell?

CVAME
02-19-2007, 7:28 AM
Ok, I know these questions have been asked many times but here it goes. Recently I purchased "Traded" a DPMS ultra light AR 15 for what I was told and thought was a Bushmaster. After doing a little research, I don't think I have what I traded for. The barrel is 16" and has DSC 5.56 NATO 1-9 stamped on the top. I cant find any markings on the upper anywhere or on the bolt. It has a collapsible stock w/4 positions. I already know from my reading that I probably got beat on the lower because it is a Hesse Arms HAR-15A2 and haven't found anything good about Hesse. How can I identify what I have and where to look for markings and such.:confused: By the way, my upper is a fixed handle with adjustable iron sights. I have put a Pic rail on the handle just to accommodate a standard 3-9x50 scope for plinking and varminting. I dont know what else to say about it to get more info on it since I am new to the AR scene.

scootergmc
02-19-2007, 7:55 AM
I think you have at least a DSC= Double Star Corporation upper. http://www.star15.com/

Bushmaster has "B MP" on the barrels.

CVAME
02-19-2007, 2:18 PM
I think your right Scooter so far as the barrel is concerned but the barrel and upper don't match so far as color. The barrel is the green milspec color but the upper is more black as well as the bolt. I was going to post some pics but my camera isn't acting right for some reason. Oh yeah, and my muzzle break doesn't look like the one in the artical you linked. Mine has the five slotted muzzle break.

CVAME
02-19-2007, 4:28 PM
Just an update, I spoke with the person I got it from and he said the upper is a Bushmaster upper (at least the housing is), but the internal parts such as the bolt are Double Star. If thats the case, I don't feel as bad, Double Star seems to be of a pretty good quality. I will replace the lower though. Any thoughts, or suggestions are truly appreciated. I just hope when this gun was put together it was done right. We'll see.

Prc329
02-19-2007, 5:48 PM
My Bushy upper has a keyhole mark on it. Not sure if all of them do. The barrel is marked b mp.

cornholio1
02-19-2007, 5:51 PM
The keyhole mark is a forging mark. I forget by which forger

CVAME
02-19-2007, 5:51 PM
That does help then. the upper on mine has a keyhole mark as well. It's just in front of the rear site.

five.five-six
02-19-2007, 6:00 PM
just keep the hesse lower. you are going to spend about $200 for a stripped lower that won't work any differant than your hesse / vulcan. save your money, buy ammo

Prc329
02-19-2007, 6:08 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=51020

The keyhole and three dot is the Cerro Metal forge marking for the receiver. They make bare receivers for a lot of manufacturers. Rock River buys their stuff and so does Bushmaster but both of those companies also mark their barrels.

If you want a bushy barrel I will have one for sale in about a week :)

and like 556 said buy ammo instead of a new lower.

cornholio1
02-19-2007, 6:19 PM
What everyone says is true. You should buy ammo instead, BUT just the name Hesse would bother me to the point, I would need to get rid of it.

If it were me, changing the lower would be the first on my list.

CVAME
02-19-2007, 6:51 PM
I appreciate the help. The "friend" I got the weapon from said I could get my DPMS back if I wanted to but I can't see the need. This new AR has a heavier barrel, wider handle to accommodate the Pic rail and seems like it will fit my needs well. It's my first AR so maybe i'm being a little over particular. I also bought 500 rounds of green tipped ammo. Don't think i'm going to use them up though. Should be fun.

fairfaxjim
02-19-2007, 6:54 PM
FWIW, my 2 cents on the subject - If the guy was supposed be be selling you a bushy, it doesn't sound like you got one. Now, if the price was a bushy price, then some renegotiation may be in order. I say go shoot it and see how it shoots. If you are happy with it, then maybe a little good faith refund would be ok, If you love it, maybe you're ok with the price. If it is a POS, get your money back. If it shoots ok, and you keep it, just shoot it until you aren't happy with it anymore, then think about what to get.

five.five-six
02-19-2007, 7:19 PM
I also bought 500 rounds of green tipped ammo. Don't think i'm going to use them up though. Should be fun.

500 rounds can be 1 afternoon with a nice AR

slick_711
02-19-2007, 7:36 PM
500 rounds can be 1 afternoon with a nice AR

Just depends on whether or not you've got a cute girl there to reload your mags. I can shoot all day, but after 350 or so I'd get tired of reloading. :D