PDA

View Full Version : What's better: Ka-Bar "Kukri" or the "Cutlass" machete (with pics)

TrailerparkTrash
11-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Guys, I want to buy one of these, but which one is a better overall product out at the camp site in your opinion? I have no "job-specific" mission for either of the particular blades. I just want something that can basically "do it all" at the camp site. Chop some small branches, make fire kindling, clear a little brush here and there if needed, bring it to a deer blind, carry it on a day hike etc.... My thought on one of these two particular tools is that its basically my "duct tape" (aka: many uses) of a blade of this type. I hope I'm making sense. If you could only pick one, which one and why? Also, I don't want any other brand. I'm stuck on Ka-Bar, just like the Marines have been for decades. Any personal experience on one or the other is very much welcomed. Pros/Cons opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Kukri...
http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/KA-BAR-1249-rw-8866-26112.jpg

or...

The Cutlass machete...
http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/KA-BAR-1248-rw-8865-26111.jpg

chris
11-04-2011, 10:04 PM
i found kukri at work. i like it.

dirtykoala
11-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Kukris are great, I don't have experience with the kabar one, I bought a cold steel for under $20 on amazon, I figured I wouldn't be mad if it was lost or damaged while camping, though I don't anticipate much damage based on the torture tests I've seen with it.

Anyway- kukris have a great weight to them that makes swinging them comfortable and effective. I'd go with the kukri.

Also FWIW, I never saw a kabar issued while I was in the Marines, quite a few benchmades though.

11HE9
11-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Another vote for the Kukri style blade.

The kukri is made for chopping by design, most of the weight is out front. I was stationed in Panama for a little over a year and spent a lot of time in the jungle. I used my Kukri a lot more than I used my machete, it was just easier to use in heavy brush/jungle.

My .02 ;)

lordres
11-04-2011, 10:52 PM
In my experience with Ka-Bar knives, they are great for fighting. Not great for any other practical uses. After many knives, the best for me was an old Cold Steel SRK. Too bad they don't make them like that any more.

Turk
11-05-2011, 11:26 AM
If your going to buy a machete buy the ones made in Brazil. There cheap , you can buy a set of 5 with different types and lengths for $35.00 and they'll work better than the more expensive ones. I just ordered a kukri wanted something heavier than the machete.

Paltik
11-05-2011, 3:40 PM
In my experience the Kukri is best for jungle-ish environments; its shape and weighting help it cut vines and supple branches that "give" when you swing at them. The points on those also tend to be more centered, great for gauging holes or stuff. The machete would probably be handier around a campsite; it's better shaped for cutting meat and for splitting and chopping at wood. Both of the designs pictured are very useful shapes, unlike many machetes I see out there.

jmsenk
11-05-2011, 4:04 PM
Thats a tough choice. I'm going to echo a lot of the opinions above in that they both look like very useful and practical tools. The Kukri looks cool, and has the name recognition of being a bad *** knife (even though the Cutlass has a bit of this as well) I see the Cutlass being more practical for uses other than just a "machete" style chop, but it still has alot of the weight in the blade, and would be great for the same thing.

Chaparral
11-06-2011, 6:40 PM
I got one of the smaller Cold Steel Kukhris and love it. I use the thing for some yardwork like pruning cacti and yuccas and the like. I need to wear gloves with mine tho. The handle does not agree with my hands.

wjc
11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Another vote for the Kukri. It's a proven design and been working for the Gurkha's for years.

Just make sure they are using good steel.

dirtykoala
11-07-2011, 1:35 AM
Another vote for the Kukri. It's a proven design and been working for the Gurkha's for years.

Just make sure they are using good steel.

the cold-steel doesnt have the strongest steel, i sharppened it very well just with a honing rod from my kitchen knife set. i like it that way for camping and what not because i can easily sharpen it on a rock or something if need be.

heres the torture tests that i mentioned earlier:
http://www.knifetests.com/ColdSteelKukriMacheteDestructionTest.html

even if the ka-bar could do this stuff, i wouldnt feel right about it!
KsvM_An6vZQ

ireload
11-07-2011, 6:56 AM
Another one for the Kukri. I have the Cold Steel LTC but alas the company does not sell it anymore. My wife bought it as a Christmas several years back.

wjc
11-07-2011, 5:22 PM
Dang, TrailerparkTrash! Now you got me thinking about getting a kukri....

mindwip
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Ka-bar is not a camp knife. I avoid coldsteel not great products.

Get a real kukri. I will post link later. A real kukri will have a type of leather over wood with a small knife and sharpener attached. Never put untreated leather next to steel.
I have bought a few from himalayan-imports. You can get blemished ones at great deals over at blade forums. They sell one offs, overstock, slight imperfections at really good prices. The company hires many people to support there town and is very well received in blade community. In fact if you break one how many company promise this "Break or bend it and get two free! " . No i dont work for them, but the recently deceased owner really struck my heart. Great guy with customers. If you dont buy from this company select another good company, ie not coldsteel.

Real thing below. http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk1.html
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/assets/images/16-5inChiruwaAk-Ank.jpg

dirtykoala
11-08-2011, 4:51 PM
Ka-bar is not a camp knife. I avoid coldsteel not great products.

Get a real kukri. I will post link later. A real kukri will have a type of leather over wood with a small knife and sharpener attached. Never put untreated leather next to steel.
I have bought a few from himalayan-imports. You can get blemished ones at great deals over at blade forums. They sell one offs, overstock, slight imperfections at really good prices. The company hires many people to support there town and is very well received in blade community. In fact if you break one how many company promise this "Break or bend it and get two free! " . No i dont work for them, but the recently deceased owner really struck my heart. Great guy with customers. If you dont buy from this company select another good company, ie not coldsteel.

Real thing below. http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk1.html
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/assets/images/16-5inChiruwaAk-Ank.jpg

I agree that cold steel isn't a high quality product, but for a knife that you just want to use for camping; cutting wood, lifting a hot grill surface, leaving in the dirt, possibly hitting a few rocks with it along the way... There's no need for a $180 knife, when cold steel runs for about $20. It's like someone asking what a good car would be to make pizza deliveries and then saying that civics are crap, and an Audi R8 would be the best bet.

Again, not disagreeing. I wouldn't buy a cold steel for an EDC that I though I might use to defend myself, but the $20 kukri is a great knife to throw around at a camp site. The k-bar wouldn't even be a bad choice for the needs, but still more money than what I would want to pay for it's intended use.

Okami
11-08-2011, 5:04 PM
http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

I use the hell out of mine when i camp. I highly recommend them and have given them as gifts to friends because i like them so much. You can get them on amazon or ebay for under $25 shipped i believe. Buy 2 and have a spare. :-)

mindwip
11-08-2011, 8:09 PM
If you get there deals its more like $50 which is why i mentioned it. Yes expensive but look at reviews between different company's if one is designed wrong you are just going to work more or be more dangerous to you, i dont want a piece of steel to fly at me after hitting it on a tree.(not saying the cold steel with fly apart, any cheap design) Kukri's have a ring handle, which is sorta like a smooth wedding ring in the middle of the handle that provides lots of grip and with the flared handle between these two your hand is locked in. Cold Steel does not have the ring. HI also has there villager models that are much cheaper and do not have all the nicer touches that cost more.

To me knifes are very much a cry once type of thing. Some times you can get good things cheap like mora knifes for $5-20 that beat $100 knives. If you dont have the money to spend on it you dont have it. Cant argue with that.

A good overview of some of the most common choices.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?61253-Kukris-Himalayan-imports-vs-Khukuri-House-vs-Windlass-vs-Cold-Steel

I agree that cold steel isn't a high quality product, but for a knife that you just want to use for camping; cutting wood, lifting a hot grill surface, leaving in the dirt, possibly hitting a few rocks with it along the way...

LOL thats funny because thats what i do to mine, they are meant to be used as hammers, digging tool, prybar, chopper, basher and many other things.