PDA

View Full Version : Chokes: impr cyl., full, modified

Stanky626
02-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I've got a newbie question: Can you folks tell me the shot pattern of the full and modified chokes.

I believe the improved cylinder choke is a wide shot, good for skeet and short distances. Correct?

Full and Modified?:confused:

stator
02-19-2007, 6:43 AM
Not all manufacturer's chokes are the same. For instance, one manufacturer's Skeet choke is not the same as another's. Usually, though, the differences are slight. You will need to go to that manufacturer's website and look at the specs for each of their chokes.

Although you did not specify which shotgun, here's Remington's:

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/remchoke_specs.asp

mike100
02-19-2007, 7:19 AM
from most open to tightest constriction- the 5 basic chokes:
CYL, IC, MOD, IM, FULL

cylinder is the pipe diameter of 12 ga- no taper at the end, improved cyl, modified is middle of the road, improved modified (one of my favorites), and full.

I use full only on a 30" barrel for shooting trap. I also have an autoloader that patters really great with IM, and that is really killer during bird season after opening day when the birdies fly away sooner and your shots need to be longer.

I don't shoot skeet, but I think IC and wider is what is used...personally, MOD isn't really great at anything, just an all arounder- the ultimate compromise.

Sydwaiz
02-19-2007, 9:26 AM
Here's what I have on my Citori O/U 2 barrel set. Both barrels are 28"

20ga: Improved and Modified
12ga: Modified and Full

I use the 20ga barrel for skeet and dove hunting

The 12ga modified choke for trap. 12ga for dove later in the day when the birds are gun shy and don't come in as close. Also for duck hunting.

maxicon
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Here's a useful page at shotgunworld:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

Down at the bottom, it's got recommended chokes for different uses, choke names and restrictions, and typical spreads for common chokes.

toymonger
02-19-2007, 6:17 PM
To select the proper choke you should not only consider distance, but also shot size and type. For instance you wouldn't want to shoot large pellets like 00 buck through a full choke as you will mash the shot and get fliers. (Fliers are deformed shot that stray dangerously outside the pattern.)

Also the chokes are different for steel verses lead. You go one step more open on steel. Copper coated reacts differently also.

Purpose, size and type?

Fjold
02-19-2007, 6:28 PM
The most common chokes wide to narrow:

Skeet 2
Skeet 1
Cylinder bore
Improved
Modifed
Full
Trap 1
Trap 2
Turkey

But you can get chokes made in just about any increments in thousandths of an inch.

stator
02-20-2007, 3:35 PM
The most common chokes wide to narrow:

Skeet 2
Skeet 1
Cylinder bore
Improved
Modifed
Full
Trap 1
Trap 2
Turkey

But you can get chokes made in just about any increments in thousandths of an inch.

This is where the trouble begins. For instance, Remington's wider chokes in order:

Skeet
Cylinder
Improved Skeet

Here's Briley's wider chokes (wider to narrower):

Cylinder
Light Skeet
Skeet

If you are shopping for chokes, you absolutely must compare the bore diameter and not the names. There are some curve balls being thrown.

Fjold
02-20-2007, 4:22 PM
This is where the trouble begins. For instance, Remington's wider chokes in order:

Skeet
Cylinder
Improved Skeet

Here's Briley's wider chokes (wider to narrower):

Cylinder
Light Skeet
Skeet

If you are shopping for chokes, you absolutely must compare the bore diameter and not the names. There are some curve balls being thrown.

Nope, you're correct and I am wrong. It's

Cylinder bore, then Skeet, then Improved cylinder, etc.

phod330
02-20-2007, 6:18 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/phodavid/rchoke2.gif

Hope this helps...