PDA

View Full Version : Asteriod coming close this Tuesday

TheChief
11-03-2011, 5:16 PM
Just read an article on CNN about an aircraft carrier size asteriod, 2005 YU55, passing closer to our planet than the moon at a little over 200k miles. And it's happending next Tuesday, November 8th.

I am surprised to only just be hearing about it now. I must have my head in the sand!

Insert dramatic movie clip here on how it was kept secret and as the days approach the asteroid gets closer and closer...:facepalm:

LOL

The asteroid will approach from sunward and the best time to see it will be Tuesday after 4PM EST.

Here is the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_YU55

(yeah I know, spelling was off)

OHOD
11-03-2011, 5:22 PM
Go time November 7th.

HIG541
11-03-2011, 5:34 PM
i will donate myself to go up in a shuttle and plant the nuke on the surface

RustyMacHine
11-03-2011, 6:39 PM
i will donate myself to go up in a shuttle and plant the nuke on the surface

If you do this you won't have to pay for taxes ever.

jeep7081
11-03-2011, 7:18 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/cazabella/Movie/Armageddon-8.jpg

glockman19
11-03-2011, 8:34 PM
Maybe that is the real reason for the National Emergency Broadcast System Test on November 9th?

"this is not a drill"

TheChief
11-03-2011, 8:47 PM
Maybe that is the real reason for the National Emergency Broadcast System Test on November 9th?

"this is not a drill"

If you can hear this announcement, we made it!!! yeah...eh emm. I mean this was a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

IntoForever
11-03-2011, 8:50 PM
Will the first fragments take out France?

One more reason to get ****-faced on my b-day!

jyo
11-04-2011, 1:50 AM
Will we be able to see it? Any video? Live on the six o'clock news?

Ripon83
11-04-2011, 7:34 AM
Would you even want to know.....talk about "SHTF" if they told us a few days in advance.....OMG....probably better off to just let it happen and we all knock on Gods' door at the same time.

Dubious_Beans
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I hope it smacks earth straight on and wipes every living thing off the planet.

Maybe then my neighbors f***ing dogs will finally stop barking. :mad:

problemchild
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I hope it smacks earth straight on and wipes every living thing off the planet.

Maybe then my neighbors f***ing dogs will finally stop barking. :mad:

Do what I did. Contact the pound and turn them in. They get warned 1x and then 100 dollar tickets every time after.

CessnaDriver
11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Will we be able to see it? Any video? Live on the six o'clock news?

I think from some parts of the world it could be visable but not a very bright magnitude.

If I find the info I'll post it here.

choprzrul
11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
It's an election day message from God.

The courts and legislatures better start listening to Alan Gura, or else there will be more galactic softballs coming our way....

xrMike
11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
So does anybody know what an aircraft carrier-sized piece of rock would do to our planet if it actually hit? Is that big enough to qualify as an planet-wide-armegeddon event, or just a seriously-****-up-wherever-it-hits event?

That's a pretty close pass, seems to me. Given the vastness of space and all.

Kid Stanislaus
11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
If you can hear this announcement, we made it!!! yeah...eh emm. I mean this was a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

"Repeat. This is only a test. Had it been a REAL emergency, my butt would've been out of here a long time ago!!":D

CessnaDriver
11-04-2011, 1:45 PM
So does anybody know what an aircraft carrier-sized piece of rock would do to our planet if it actually hit? Is that big enough to qualify as an planet-wide-armegeddon event, or just a seriously-****-up-wherever-it-hits event?

It is very far from a global extinction class sized asteroid.

This one was detected years ago and it's course is well known. If was on a collision course, which it is not this time, it could make for a bad day regionally, but nothing like wiping out life on earth or resetting humanity to the stone age.

It would suck if you lived near the impact or dealt with a tsunami.....

http://news.softpedia.com/news/If-Asteroid-2005-YU55-Were-to-Hit-Earth-231364.shtml

The larger the object the sooner we detect them.

We would have plenty of warning to do something to deflect a big one, large objects could be detected with decades or hundreds of years of warning.
We have that technology within our grasp to accomplish this given enough time. Even this one, if it was on a collision course, five years may have been enough to form a plan and act in time.

Smaller ones less warning or none, but far less potential damage.

bsg
11-04-2011, 3:02 PM
i'm glad the earth is not slated to be hit by the asteroid. that's a tough one to prepare for.

scarville
11-04-2011, 4:06 PM
Depends on mass and impact velocity but it is unlikely to be an ELE -- even if it was likely to to hit Earth. Which it isn't.

First estimate: If it hits on land it would be about the size the Barringer impact (Arizona) which was the equivalent of 18 to 20 Mt total energy released. If a rock that size hit in mid ocean it could raise a serious tsunami and the weather would be impacted for a few years. Maybe more. There was a historian a few years ago who argued that the Little Ice Age was triggered by a impact in the Atlantic.
These things have been passing close to for a few billion years. We hear about them more lately because astronomers have better instruments to look for them. Occasionally the Earth get smacked.

mschliebs
11-04-2011, 4:32 PM
Let us know if it hits!

TrailerparkTrash
11-04-2011, 6:40 PM
It's a complete non-issue and not even worthy of worry. Bringing it up as some type of concern, only adds fuel to the fires of those that say "preppers" are just paranoid and to worry about this asteroid is proof!

chris
11-04-2011, 7:40 PM
the zombies are coming!!!!!!!!

VegasND
11-04-2011, 9:46 PM
Really?
Hot fudge sundae falls on a Tuesday?

Tuesdae?

jyo
11-04-2011, 10:04 PM
TOAST!! We would be toast if that thing hits us---one of my buddies says when it returns in a few years, there's a ninety % chance it's gonna hit us---but then, he's been wrong about everything else...

TheChief
11-05-2011, 7:14 PM
If it were to hit...WHICH IT WILL NOT...it would cause some regional damage but would not cause any global issues. Read the wikipedia article I posted the link to in the original post. Also, do an internet search for "what would happen of 2005 YU55 hit" and read the responses from legitimate trustworthy sites. My responses below are based on my research into what ifs with the asteroid. However, I am not an Astrophysicist nor a pedigreed scientist so take it as you will...

If it were to hit, WHICH IT WILL NOT, it depends on where; land or water

Land
This would be preferred as you will appreciate after reading this post ;) If it were to hit land it would create local devastation across a 250 mile region around the impact. Assume total loss of life out to the 20+ mile radius and likely much further. However, it would not trigger continent wide earthquakes nor any affect to the orbit or axil tilt of the planet. Nor would it kick off a nuclear winter. Some suggest debris akin to a couple of larger volcanoes going off.

Water
Not good for the costal regions. Unlike tsunamis created by earthquakes and land slides, that create waves in one general direction, a meteor impact will cause a radial wave...
http://daughterearth.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/waterDrop1.jpg
that will propagate the wave in all directions. Given the amount of energy released into these waves, which is significantly larger than an earth quake or land slide, the waves will be very powerful and large when they hit land even thousands of miles away.

As the OP, I brought this up as I was surprised by only recently finding out about it considering I conceitedly thought I did a good job keeping abreast of events like this. It was not to start a panic, which did not occur, nor stir up any run for the hills responses.

Is it a concern? Abso-friggin-lutely. If we did discover a meteor or comet on a collision course with this planet there is nothing we could do about it...and the Government(s) are not doing much of anything about that. That being said, the public isn't pushing very hard either so...here we sit, at the bottom of a nice gravity well waiting with our eyes closed and rubbing a rabbit's foot hoping nothing happens.

TheChief
11-05-2011, 7:18 PM
Really?
Hot fudge sundae falls on a Tuesday?

Tuesdae?

Loved that book! Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven.

powderedtoastman
11-05-2011, 7:34 PM
I think it was on NASA's website that they said that if it actually HIT the earth it would cause a 7.something magnitude earthquake and cause 70 foot tall tsunami waves. I wouldn't worry about it though.

FatCity67
11-06-2011, 6:54 AM
I would be more concerned about it hitting the moon. Think about that for a few moments.

CessnaDriver
11-06-2011, 5:52 PM
This will be tough to spot without good equipment....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-20127165/big-rock-heading-toward-earth-enjoy-the-view/

Chaparral
11-06-2011, 6:27 PM
Damn. Need to get Burt Rutan and the others to get a rocket capable of nudging that thing into orbit somewhere not too close and not too far and turn that thing into a space station. Maybe it'll have a lot of strategic metals in it.

Kid Stanislaus
11-06-2011, 9:05 PM
i'm glad the earth is not slated to be hit by the asteroid. that's a tough one to prepare for.

Yeah, 'specially if that sucker lands right smack on top of ya!:eek:

Kid Stanislaus
11-06-2011, 9:09 PM
TOAST!! We would be toast if that thing hits us---one of my buddies says when it returns in a few years, there's a ninety % chance it's gonna hit us---but then, he's been wrong about everything else...

That's interesting. I wonder if there's information available about the trajectory on the next go around.

Kid Stanislaus
11-06-2011, 9:14 PM
Is it a concern? Abso-friggin-lutely. If we did discover a meteor or comet on a collision course with this planet there is nothing we could do about it...and the Government(s) are not doing much of anything about that.

I'll bet my next paycheck we could nuke that puppy into a different orbit. (I base that statement on the many decades I've spent in both the nuclear weapons field and the astonomy field. NOT!!:rolleyes:)

CessnaDriver
11-06-2011, 9:18 PM
That's interesting. I wonder if there's information available about the trajectory on the next go around.

It's plotted out 100 years and no impact concerns.

xrMike
11-07-2011, 9:11 AM
It's plotted out 100 years and no impact concerns.Cool; we (and our kids) will be fine.

Let the grandkids worry about it. :D

CessnaDriver
11-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Observing details if you have the equipment.....

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/133013563.html

CitaDeL
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Anyone else make the correlation between the rock that missed us today and the Oklahoma earthquakes?

jyo
11-09-2011, 2:23 AM
OK, it's gone now.

CessnaDriver
11-09-2011, 8:47 AM
Vids and images.......

http://www.universetoday.com/90807/images-video-from-around-the-world-of-asteroid-2005-yu55s-close-pass/

thenodnarb
11-09-2011, 1:17 PM
Vids and images.......

http://www.universetoday.com/90807/images-video-from-around-the-world-of-asteroid-2005-yu55s-close-pass/

those were some pretty crappy pictures. I think my canon point and shoot could do about the same.

bsg
11-09-2011, 1:23 PM
whewwww. glad that one flew past.

sfonelson
11-10-2011, 10:09 AM
You have to give these guys more credit. The equipment that they use, along with the photo capture hardware probably costs thousands. And it's still difficult to see something that small, and far away, going extremely fast. It takes a lot of skill.

This is like one of those guys looking at one of our targets and saying, "How hard can it really be to hit paper at 500 yards away?"

those were some pretty crappy pictures. I think my canon point and shoot could do about the same.

CessnaDriver
11-10-2011, 10:24 AM
You have to give these guys more credit. The equipment that they use, along with the photo capture hardware probably costs thousands. And it's still difficult to see something that small, and far away, going extremely fast. It takes a lot of skill.

This is like one of those guys looking at one of our targets and saying, "How hard can it really be to hit paper at 500 yards away?"

Exactly.

The skill level is impressive. There are folks that can image the space station in detail such that even one fellow was able to see a spacewalking astronaut.

Also the competition to detect objects like comets, and get to name them is great. So it's pretty cool stuff.

thenodnarb
11-10-2011, 4:28 PM

I realize that. But it just goes to show that "close" is relative. This object was so far away, that it appears as only a dot in the pictures. how close was it BTW? A few million miles? I didn't check.

This is also why I scoff at people who claim stars are many thousands of light years away. In reality it is likely a guess. AFAIK, we can only accurately measure things 1 light year away(5.8 trillion miles or so). Maybe with really precise equipment we can measure stuff 100 times that far, but when people start talking about thousands of light years away, they are full of it. Even Stephen Hawking admits that the only thing we know about distant starts is the color of their light.

So this was a big to-do about nothing. Presumably it was in this forum to discuss how it might impact us in an EOTWAWKI or a SHTF scenario. But in reality, it is at best a hypothetical situation, so why are we still talking about specifics?!

Sorry for being a Jerk. I haven't taken my chill pill today.

Ripon83
11-10-2011, 4:37 PM
Ok, but at least we know there are no aliens.....the white house said so !

We are alone in the Universe!

CessnaDriver
11-10-2011, 5:00 PM
I realize that. But it just goes to show that "close" is relative. This object was so far away, that it appears as only a dot in the pictures. how close was it BTW? A few million miles? I didn't check.

This is also why I scoff at people who claim stars are many thousands of light years away. In reality it is likely a guess. AFAIK, we can only accurately measure things 1 light year away(5.8 trillion miles or so). Maybe with really precise equipment we can measure stuff 100 times that far, but when people start talking about thousands of light years away, they are full of it. Even Stephen Hawking admits that the only thing we know about distant starts is the color of their light.

So this was a big to-do about nothing. Presumably it was in this forum to discuss how it might impact us in an EOTWAWKI or a SHTF scenario. But in reality, it is at best a hypothetical situation, so why are we still talking about specifics?!

Sorry for being a Jerk. I haven't taken my chill pill today.

You can question exacting accuracy, but your implying gross errors and mass uncertainty. Generally I see those kinds of arguments from theology oriented
beliefs.

Almost all the stars, and everything else for that matter in the universe ARE many thousands of light years away and far far far more.

There is nothing "full of it" about that.

That's fact.

We do know more about stars then just their light as well.
We can observe directly their gravitational effects upon one another.

Images of the core of our own galaxy where the stars are spaced very compactly actually show them moving and interacting.
You can calculate a lot from that kind of observation.

CessnaDriver
11-10-2011, 5:02 PM
Ok, but at least we know there are no aliens.....the white house said so !

We are alone in the Universe!

Actually that was probably the only sensible thing that this white house has ever released. LOL

But of course they did not dismiss the possibility of discovery someday.