PDA

View Full Version : Canning Bread N Butter pickles (review + Pics)

problemchild
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Boy am I becoming domesticated. Ive been canning everything except the family dog. :D

I canned some bread n butter pickles 2.5 weeks ago and had to wait 3 weeks to crack one open. I cheated and opened one last night. Man alive these things are good. The pickles are as crunchy as potato chips almost. I am very happey with how these turned out. Just like the super expensive Klauson cold case bread n butter pickles that cost $7/jar. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they charge so much. I think we are just getting gouged. Every time some store charges me excessively I figure out a way around it and a way to save money.

On to the pickling. I used this recipe here (http://www.pickyourown.org/breadandbutterpickles.htm) and I would highly recommend it to any of you. Its almost an exact duplicate of the Klauson recipe, only better. The key to getting crunchy pickles is to get small fresh cukes. Make sure they are not swollen or yellowing. Make sure they have the big bumps on the side and are not flat. Also push your thumb into the side hard and if it gives at all dont choose that cuke.

The recipe has all the info you will need. I added sliced fresh onions to my jars and I think it helped make the pickles perfect.
I forgot to take pictures during the canning process but I have 2 shots from right after canning and one after 2.5 weeks.
These are refrigerator pickles and cannot sit on a shelf. I chose this method as it yields the crispest pickles.
I followed the recipe above and also used the Ball bread and butter spices. Give it a try. I am going to can more pickles this weekend as gifts for Xmas.

http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/imagesEdp/p137734z.jpg

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/pickles/pickles%20001.jpg

Jars are cold so they fogged up, sorry.
http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/Honeyville/pickles/pickles%20007.jpg

HIG541
11-03-2011, 2:09 PM
awesome man! canning is really cool and fun. can you suggest some good books for it? I will be having a bunch of stuff to can later next year (see the garden post) and would like to get deeper into it. i do make some pretty awesome pickled eggs, and before everyone says it's gross, try one. they RULE!

problemchild
11-03-2011, 5:03 PM
awesome man! canning is really cool and fun. can you suggest some good books for it? I will be having a bunch of stuff to can later next year (see the garden post) and would like to get deeper into it. i do make some pretty awesome pickled eggs, and before everyone says it's gross, try one. they RULE!

That site I linked to is pretty dang awesome. Like a playschool book with big glossy pictures.:D

HIG541
11-03-2011, 5:21 PM
love the photos of the pickles you made. had a thought though. all that empty space in the jar, you should fill that with garlic! it would be good flavor and pickled garlic is delicious too!

FrankG
11-03-2011, 9:40 PM
i have used the mrs wages pickling packets in dill,kosher dill, and bread and butter pickles. all turned out great.... my only suggestion is using the crisping agent from ball or something to keep crispy. The very first batch we did the pickles were very good but they were limp. and the other nice thing with the mrs wages packets is they dont have to be refrigerated.

also the ball canning book is a very good book to get... it goes threw the process (both boiling and pressure) and it gives a crap load of recipes too.

frank

problemchild
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
i have used the mrs wages pickling packets in dill,kosher dill, and bread and butter pickles. all turned out great.... my only suggestion is using the crisping agent from ball or something to keep crispy. The very first batch we did the pickles were very good but they were limp. and the other nice thing with the mrs wages packets is they dont have to be refrigerated.

also the ball canning book is a very good book to get... it goes threw the process (both boiling and pressure) and it gives a crap load of recipes too.

frank

Good to know. The Ball spice has the crisping agent added to it. I guess its a new addition. Im going to pick up that book next chance I get.

Caliyanks
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Cool stuff. The wife and I just started canning a couple of months ago. I wanted to try those pickles so bad. But, I decided to learn on easier things this year. Definitly trying this next go around. Looks good.

Thanks