PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson Commander bobtail

D1911
02-18-2007, 2:34 PM
Anyone have one of these (or maybe shot one)? I saw one the other day at a shop, it looked realy nice and was loaded with goodies. The beavertail fit was a bit funky, and it has an MIM hammer, but other than that, it was nicely fitted and had a great trigger. I've been quoted a price of $990 and was thinking of getting one but wanted to get some feed back before I take the plunge. That bobtail felt good in the hand! Thanks!

mike100
02-18-2007, 3:49 PM
I have one...from what I've heard, the small parts are all heat treated cast, however, I suspect the STI thumb safety might be mim. I got mine for $949 last year (new). They are fit real tight and mine took a couple of hundred rounds to actually break in. The chamber dimensions are match grade which means off-branded ammo and semi wad-cutters may give you fits...(like fiocchi). wwb, remington and especially anything federal goes right thru mine, and I will make the statement (with good ammo), the DW is more reliable than my colts as it has not choked on anything at the range for some time or during a full idpa match the last time I had it out.

Like many commander length guns, the slide speed and spring rate has a side effect of occasional brass ejection to the face. Mines getting fitted with a new ejector right now...otherwise I love it since it is "done". I really like the fit and the selection of controls on it. The sights shoot ever so slightly high at 15 yards which is just how I like it- and they are trijicons, so you know they glow brite.

I would like to mention, that in hindsight, I would probably have been better off with the full size pointman-7 model..I shot one, it was even better than the cbob.

ON EDIT: the ealier ones had little problems: I chucked my bushing and the firing pin stop since the extractor clocked too much for my liking..I went ahead and got another extractor too, so I wouldn't have to fit an oversized fps. So about $50 worth of parts before the ejector work...now that has been a bear. I spot welded it longer and filed it shorter with poor results. I'm hoping a new and different brand of ejector along with a recoil spring tune will get it right. I chose not to send it back to DW, even though they returned my call in reasonable time. last thought, the very newest ones have finer grip checkering and will likely not need any tuning since I have heard that they are coming off the line well adjusted.

D1911
02-18-2007, 4:52 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the detailed response. I've actually seen two within the last month or so and both had 30 lpi checkering on the front strap that looked very nicely done. Both were fit tight and everything but the beavertail looked great. I have six 5" guns, and believe I know need a Commander length gun to keep them company. Thanks again for the response!

DRM6000
02-18-2007, 5:14 PM
if you're willing to order one, here is one at a better price:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/18000

edit: wrong link. here's the correct one: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/17999
the previous one is for the 10mm version

blackrifle
02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I have one of these and I think it's the best deal for the money if you're looking for a Commander size 1911. Mine has been very reliable so far. I've only had one failure and that was with reloads. $990 is a bit high for it (look for high $800's...) The only part I've changed on it is the MIM hammer (Nowlin manufactured and it's probably never going to have issues but for impact parts, I prefer barstock).

Pablo
02-19-2007, 12:42 AM
There's nothing else I could add to Mike's excellent response. I also have one and I love it. If you live in the Bay Area you're more than welcome to come with me to the range and try it!

Regards
Pablo

dfletcher
02-19-2007, 1:54 AM
I bought one a few months ago @ City Arms in Pacifica. Extremely tight lock up - as in no movement whatsoever - between the slide & frame and barrel. I believe DW makes use of Wilson or Ed Brown parts, not sure of STI. I replaced the safety with a Wilson ambi and cleaned up the trigger but have no intention of adding or changing anything else. I think it is about the best buy out there and plan on trading in my Springfield Loaded for a full size DW.

edsel6502
02-19-2007, 9:35 AM
I bought one a few months ago @ City Arms in Pacifica. Extremely tight lock up - as in no movement whatsoever - between the slide & frame and barrel. I believe DW makes use of Wilson parts, not STI. I replaced the safety with a Wilson ambi and cleaned up the trigger but have no intention of adding or changing anything else. I think it is about the best buy out there and plan on trading in my Springfield Loaded for a full size DW.

Agreed I have one too. In fact this is my first 1911 and I think I picked a good one to start with.

I took it with me to Handgun I with Louis Awerbuck at Reed's last Sat. And it worked flawlessly.

The only thing I've done to it was not use the provided magazines. I'm running Wilson Combat 47D, Cobra Tripp mags and converted CMC shooting stars with Tripp research mag kits.

dlectcher, who did the work for you to install the ambi safety?

Raspy
02-19-2007, 4:01 PM
<><> Does this model have an internal
or external extactor ??? Is it a series
70 ???

I held an Ed Brown once---and really
liked it---just couldn't part with two
grand that easy...

Thanks,,,

===============================

<><> Raspy <><>

dfletcher
02-19-2007, 7:03 PM
edsel

I installed the ambi myself. I've been working with 1911s for about 35 years and very much know my limitations. Installing an ambi 1911 is not too difficult but you must know the geometry of the gun; and exactly how the safety interacts with the hammer - one slip and your ambi safety becomes no safety at all. I wouldn't recommend it as a first 1911 project, this is the 5th or so I've done. Having said that, it's all handwork & no power tools needed. I think a good gunsmith would charge about $25.00 plus the part.