PDA

View Full Version : AK and RPK difference?

jerryb78
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
the different between the early AK and Rpk is the heavy barrel, furniture and the thickness/ strength of the receiver right?

everything else should interchange right? if so, basically u can use ak type receiver to build a RPK, is this correct?

(of course it not recommend )

please correct me if i'm wrong. just need clearlification before i buy a RPK kit.
thx

jerryb78

PanzerAce
02-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm not even sure that RPK trunions would fit inside a standard AK receiver...

CaptMike
02-18-2007, 2:04 PM
The RPK and the AK receivers are slightly different. If you go to the nodakspud.com website, you will se the difference from the standard AK receiver versus the RPK receiver the trunions are different and dont look like they will interchange. It does kind of look like the receiver for the Yugo AK is failrly close to the RPK receiver. Check out Nodakspud.com and you will see. hope this helps

Mike

Charliegone
02-18-2007, 3:45 PM
You know I've been wondering if an RPK barrel would work in a regular Romanian AK trunnion...Structurally I don't know if it would work.

xenophobe
02-18-2007, 3:46 PM
Yes, the Yugoslavian AKs incorporate the standard RPK type enhanced/strengthened trunions.

grammaton76
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
the different between the early AK and Rpk is the heavy barrel, furniture and the thickness/ strength of the receiver right?

Bulged front trunion - that's the biggest difference.

everything else should interchange right? if so, basically u can use ak type receiver to build a RPK, is this correct?

(of course it not recommend )

Not just not recommended... just plain forget about it. If you're getting an RPK kit, spend the extra $150 or so to get an actual RPK receiver for it. The biggest issue is the front trunion, which you CANNOT stretch out an AK receiver to fit. The RPK front end is considerably heavier than the AK, and I'm not completely convinced that an AK receiver wouldn't suffer metal fatigue over time with an RPK kit.

If the whole thing is that you want an RPK on the cheap, then go for an AES-10 from CWS.

morepoop4u
02-18-2007, 10:36 PM
if you're cheap and and can fabricate/weld you can take a milled kit and modify it to fit a nds-3. There's a tutorial on ar15.com http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=91436
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=89912

cheers

69Mach1
02-18-2007, 10:52 PM
You can buy a DCI NDS-9 Yugo RPK receiver for $100 and a Yugo RPK parts kit (w/o bipod) for about $250. They're a good match because of the "bulge" in the receiver and trunion. I'm personally waiting for the new Century Romanian ASE-10B heavy barrel RPK's to come out. They are supposed to have the authentic "bulged" RPK receiver, RPK buttstock, a heavy barrel, side mounted scope mount, and muzzle end mounted bipod. Hopefully the muzzle will be threaded also.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/72l_RI1407-N20Clipped.png

grammaton76
02-18-2007, 10:57 PM
You can buy a DCI NDS-9 Yugo RPK receiver for $100 and a Yugo RPK parts kit (w/o bipod) for about $250. They're a good match because of the "bulge" in the receiver and trunion. I'm personally waiting for the new Century Romanian ASE-10B heavy barrel RPK's to come out. They are supposed to have the authentic "bulged" RPK receiver, RPK buttstock, a heavy barrel, side mounted scope mount, and muzzle end mounted bipod. Hopefully the muzzle will be threaded also.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/72l_RI1407-N20Clipped.png

You sure about that? The 10B's are already out, according to the mailings I get from Century, and they never mentioned anything about bulged receivers.

And yeah, an NDS-9 would be perfectly fine. I get the impression that the guy has an NDS-3 receiver though, and is trying to figure out if he can force an RPK parts kit onto it. :eek:

"Sure, go ahead and do that... as soon as it works out though, I want to see what happens when you toss the engine from a Crown Vic into a Civic..." :)

69Mach1
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Grammaton. I heard it somewhere on the internet that they were going with "bulged" receivers, but can't remember where right now. The photo I posted is off of the Century website. If you brighten the image up a little, you can see the "bulge". I'll call them Tuesday to confirm. I can't find the ASE-10B anywhere on gunbroker. Can you lead me to source for them? Also, what's the length of the barrel on the ASE-10's? Thanks.
-Mach

morepoop4u
02-18-2007, 11:20 PM
"Sure, go ahead and do that... as soon as it works out though, I want to see what happens when you toss the engine from a Crown Vic into a Civic..." :)

Not a vic but you get the idea;)

http://www.beaterz.com/one_liners/0200/images/crx_stroker.jpg

jerryb78
02-18-2007, 11:31 PM
yes, i do have 2 NDS-3 receiver, but i'm not going to build RPK from those receiver. i kinda know better. just wondering about the similerity of both gun. when the Russian/ communist countries first come out with this AK/RPK, i'm pretty sure they ask the same question. we all they knew as they tested and found out if it work for them or not. but not to many people knew unless you are knowledgable in this area. i learn new things here all the time, pass on the knowledge is all i'm saying.

another question, what if you use RPK receiver to build AK? from wht i understand from the post of other member, it should work if i start out with RPK receiver to build AK. of course, i'm no expert in this area. but i think possible but not financially worth it. get the correct receiver for the right gun would be the best answer.

would it be great if you could use one receiver to build all kind of caliber or configuration! just like the AR. some body should make this.!!

69Mach1
02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
yes, i do have 2 NDS-3 receiver, but i'm not going to build RPK from those receiver. i kinda know better. just wondering about the similerity of both gun. when the Russian/ communist countries first come out with this AK/RPK, i'm pretty sure they ask the same question. we all they knew as they tested and found out if it work for them or not. but not to many people knew unless you are knowledgable in this area. i learn new things here all the time, pass on the knowledge is all i'm saying.

another question, what if you use RPK receiver to build AK? from wht i understand from the post of other member, it should work if i start out with RPK receiver to build AK. of course, i'm no expert in this area. but i think possible but not financially worth it. get the correct receiver for the right gun would be the best answer.

would it be great if you could use one receiver to build all kind of caliber or configuration! just like the AR. some body should make this.!!

The Vepr series of AK's in 7.62x39, .308, 5.45x39, and .223 are all made from receivers with the "RPK bulge". By the way, the ASE-10's (not the B model) are made from regular AK receivers and not the RPK receivers. I think that if you build an RPK from an NDS-3, all you would need to do is make sure to use a regular trunion instead of the "bulged" one.

Edit: Also the Saigas with the 20in barrel use regular AK receivers. Their .308's use the "bulged" receivers though, I think.

fal_762x51
02-18-2007, 11:56 PM
The Yugo RPK barrel will fit the Romy trunnion. Except that the sight ears on the Yugo are wider. So you would have to trim the ears on the inside of the Romy trunnion a bit.

The only other thing is the barrel pin/headspacing problem.

Addax
02-19-2007, 7:45 AM

The Soviet Development of the RPK series was basically taking the AK and making a Squad Automatic Fire Support Weapon, or a SAW Squad Automatic Weapon.

The RPK will have a longer and slightly thicker/heavier barrel (as we all know and see), thicker front trunnion, bulged out receiver to take the thicker front trunion and the rails inside the RPK receivers were just a little thicker than the standard rifle for increased strength and to make the receiver last a little longer since the RPK's main role would be as a SAW.

The RPK was made to shoot full automatic from 30 round, 40 round mags, and 75 and 100 round drum magazines.

Most of the moving parts can be interchanged between the AK, AKM and RPK.
The RPK74 is basically the same just in the newer 5.45mm round.

The Yugoslav's took their RPK receiver and front trunnion and incorporated that into many of their AK rifles.

The AK/RPK was developed before the AR and by one of the most brilliant Firearms designers Kalashnikov and the Soviet Military Design Bureau.

The design was made to use the newer smaller 7.62x39mm round.
The rifle was made to be robust and used by the simple soldier in the field, hence why you can pull the AK in mud, sand, dirt, water etc, and it will pretty much always function or it can be stripped and cleaned out in seconds.

The AK was also designed as compact/lightweight rifle (almost like a SMG) for quarter battles at 300meters or less, using the 7.62x39mm round so the soldier could carry more ammo than their Western Counterparts who were (at the time) issued with M1 Garand Rifles and later the M14 rifles, FAL, HKG3 etc..

The AR was developed much later and incorporated the best of American Technology at the time, which developed a modular type rifle, so you can still use the same lower receiver and change out the upper from a rifle, to LMG etc.

FormerLaCrescentan
02-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Just built a yugo RPK with a nodakspud RPK receiver. Definitely get their receiver. Perfect build, weapon will last a lifetime.

grammaton76
02-19-2007, 3:55 PM
Grammaton. I heard it somewhere on the internet that they were going with "bulged" receivers, but can't remember where right now. The photo I posted is off of the Century website. If you brighten the image up a little, you can see the "bulge". I'll call them Tuesday to confirm. I can't find the ASE-10B anywhere on gunbroker. Can you lead me to source for them? Also, what's the length of the barrel on the ASE-10's? Thanks.
-Mach

Hmm, it does look like it's got a line over there. Although that's also about where they put their "Made in Romania" markings on the regular 10, so I wouldn't be too positive until I see one.

As for availability, I'm going off of mailings from Century itself... C&R FFLs get monthly mailings with what's new. It may just be that folks haven't started putting them up for sale yet...

Aha, I see what's going on. I just went through my list of emails from Century, and it was a SHOT show announcement. They committed to a wholesale price, but the email says "We have some new stuff!!! We are taking back orders. Most will not ship right away….some will!"

So, apparently they'll take orders for them presently, but they're not shipping yet.

Vepr62
02-19-2007, 5:12 PM
If you want to use AK receiver you need to use AK front trunion. Probably you'll need larger diameter barrel pin/hole after you head space it. Don't worry too much about metal fatigue or some other sh..t like that. With semi-auto only, and even if you'll get 10-15 10rd magazines, you will NOT damage anything. It will not look "correct", but it will shoot.
Vasiliy