PDA

View Full Version : Putting together the $$$ numbers for an AR-10 build

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 12:15 PM
So I'm just sitting here and I'm thinking how much would it cost me to build a Cali AR-10

Fulton Lower - $335
Parts Kit - $160
Mag Lock - $20
10 Round Mag - $45
Buttstock - $150
Noveske Upper - $1700

Well damn, that totals $2410 and with tax that's $2,608, BUT it turns out that a completed rifle is almost exactly the same amount. So it's back to saving my duckets.....:D

This is kinda what I'm thinking about building...

http://noveskerifleworks.com/images/sprwprs_b.jpg

cornholio1
02-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Looks like the bulk of your estimate is in the upper.

vrejshah209
02-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey Mark,
That setup is sweet.

m1371
02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
You can buy a regular -15 lower parts kit and add in the 3 extra AR10 specific pieces. Looks like it'll run you about $70 total.

Take a look here for your lower parts kit pieces: http://www.lanworldinc.com/LowerPartsKits.htm

And where are you going to get a PRS for $150? (Let me know so I can get one, too. :D )

I've already emailed MagPul about the difference between the AR15 PRS and the AR10 PRS. It's only two parts which can be bought straight from their warehouse directly. So if you can score an AR15 PRS used somewhere you should be able to convert it.

Buy the majority of your parts from out of state via the internet and you'll save a bit on sales tax.

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Looks like the bulk of your estimate is in the upper.

It is, the Noveske from the research I've done is basically a custom rifle at an incredibly resonable price... I could easy get another manufacturers upper and save $500 bucks, but if I'm going to spend this kind of money, I might as well get the best, IMHO.....

pc_city
02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
You forgot the LaRue mount and the Leupold scope.:confused:

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey Mark,
That setup is sweet. I'm waiting for POF-USA to make their 308 OLL and have a DPMS upper in mind for it or may a POF-USA upper lot's more $$$ but well worth it. check it out http://www.pof-usa.com/POF-USA%20PICTURE'S.htm
meantime I'm saving for one too :)

The POF stuff is really nice, but I actually spoke to them recently and they had no plans of getting into the whole OLL thing... But I think their uppers work with a fulton/DPMS style lower, can someone confirm that?

pc_city
02-18-2007, 12:29 PM
... and the BUIS and the bipod.:confused:

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 12:30 PM
... and the BUIS and the bipod.:confused:

Thanks for reminding me......:(

pc_city
02-18-2007, 12:32 PM
... and the rail covers and the match trigger and the pistol grip.:confused:

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
... and the rail covers and the match trigger and the pistol grip.:confused:

OH MAKE IT STOP..........

pc_city
02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
There ain't no cure for BRD boy:eek: .

naimad
02-18-2007, 1:20 PM
[QUOTE=Mark_in_Pasadena]The POF stuff is really nice, but I actually spoke to them recently and they had no plans of getting into the whole OLL thing... But I think their uppers work with a fulton/DPMS style lower, can someone confirm that?[/QUOTE

Im going with the POF 308 gas piston upper and their lower cold war shooters will have these rifles in stock when they are avaliable they will ship complete rifles or parts mark check out www.pof-usa.com under their 308 rifles they are pretty nice i have one of their rifles in 223 and i am very happy with it :D

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 1:32 PM
[QUOTE=Mark_in_Pasadena]The POF stuff is really nice, but I actually spoke to them recently and they had no plans of getting into the whole OLL thing... But I think their uppers work with a fulton/DPMS style lower, can someone confirm that?[/QUOTE

Im going with the POF 308 gas piston upper and their lower cold war shooters will have these rifles in stock when they are avaliable they will ship complete rifles or parts mark check out www.pof-usa.com under their 308 rifles they are pretty nice i have one of their rifles in 223 and i am very happy with it :D

What's interesting is that I called POF about an hour ago today and they said they were not shipping complete POF rifles to California, BUT they did mention to contact CWS, so maybe they know something and aren't talking. I hope I'm wrong because that would be cool as hell....

naimad
02-18-2007, 1:54 PM
[QUOTE=ecds01]

What's interesting is that I called POF about an hour ago today and they said they were not shipping complete POF rifles to California, BUT they did mention to contact CWS, so maybe they know something and aren't talking. I hope I'm wrong because that would be cool as hell....

POF wont ship direct to california like most other manufactures but places like cold war shooters and dds ranch will i saw one of the new pof 308 gas piston uppers at the cws booth at the gun show it was bad ***

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 2:00 PM
POF wont ship direct to california like most other manufactures but places like cold war shooters and dds ranch will i saw one of the new pof 308 gas piston uppers at the cws booth at the gun show it was bad ***

I know exactly which upper your referring to. The finish and rails were a work of art.... POF definitely makes some nice eye candy.....:cool:

TonyM
02-18-2007, 2:02 PM
So I'm just sitting here and I'm thinking how much would it cost me to build a Cali AR-10

Buttstock - $150

That PRS will run you a bit more than the $150 you're guesstimating. unless you know of a source selling them below cost.

Cali-V
02-18-2007, 2:46 PM
I'm trying really hard to fight off this BGD... But questions keep popping up!

Here is a quick one...
I may be wrong but Noveske dose not make their own upper receivers, right?
So with the Noveske 7.62mm 21inch Complete Upper do you have the option to order an Armalite or a DPMS receiver? If no DPMS option will the Armalite upper work on a Fulton lower?

Thanks

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-18-2007, 2:55 PM
I may be wrong but Noveske dose not make their own upper receivers, right? I believe that they do.

So with the Noveske 7.62mm 21inch Complete Upper do you have the option to order an Armalite or a DPMS receiver? The Fulton lower receiver are DPMS.

If no DPMS option will the Armalite upper work on a Fulton lower? This I'm not sure about. I do know that a modified Hessy will accept an Armalite upper.

Cali-V
02-18-2007, 3:12 PM
I may be wrong but Noveske dose not make their own upper receivers, right? I believe that they do.
If so are they setup for an Armalite or a Fulton/DPMS Lower? Or dose the lower manufacture not matter?

So with the Noveske 7.62mm 21inch Complete Upper do you have the option to order an Armalite or a DPMS receiver?
The Fulton lower receiver are DPMS.
I understand the Fulton Lower=DPMS, I also understan the Noveske Uppers mate very well with an Armalite Lower... Will the Noveske Uppers mate well with the Fulton/DPMS Lower?

If no DPMS option will the Armalite upper work on a Fulton lower? This I'm not sure about. I do know that a modified Hessy will accept an Armalite upper.

I should have just asked if Noveske uses a Armalite'ish Upper will it work on a Fulton/DPMS Lower?

I also would like to go the Noveske route...

xenophobe
02-18-2007, 3:27 PM
[QUOTE=ecds01]

CWS will be the sole distributor of stripped POF .308 lowers.

pc_city
02-18-2007, 5:41 PM
I'm trying really hard to fight off this BGD... But questions keep popping up!

Here is a quick one...
I may be wrong but Noveske does not make their own upper receivers, right?
So with the Noveske 7.62mm 21inch Complete Upper do you have the option to order an Armalite or a DPMS receiver? If no DPMS option will the Armalite upper work on a Fulton lower?

Thanks
Noveske will assemble for you a 7.62 upper that's either Armalite or DPMS compatible. Armalite you can order from their website (10-12 weeks) -- DPMS you have you have to call and wait an unknown amount of time.

Cali-V
02-18-2007, 7:04 PM
Noveske will assemble for you a 7.62 upper that's either Armalite or DPMS compatible. Armalite you can order from their website (10-12 weeks) -- DPMS you have you have to call and wait an unknown amount of time.

I'll call them on Tuesday... Thanks...

whatdyisit
02-18-2007, 9:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mark_in_Pasadena]

CWS will be the sole distributor of stripped POF .308 lowers.

Thats real good news to me!! Any time frame? (sorry if this has been covered)

naimad
02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=xenophobe]

Thats real good news to me!! Any time frame? (sorry if this has been covered)

cws said mid april last i heard

thmpr
02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
The POF lowers will work with the DPMS uppers but will leave a slight gap in the rear which will look nasty in my book. Will go with the complete POF rifle route since it will be much less in the long run of rather than buying just the lower which will be sold at a much higher cost than normal. For example: The COBB lower....

PIRATE14
02-23-2007, 3:12 PM
The POF lowers will work with the DPMS uppers but will leave a slight gap in the rear which will look nasty in my book. Will go with the complete POF rifle route since it will be much less in the long run of rather than buying just the lower which will be sold at a much higher cost than normal. For example: The COBB lower....

There will be no gap bwtn a DPMS upper and POF lower......zero.

You will need a sleeve for the front pivot pin to make a match.....the way you guys make things, those won't be hard to do.

Do you know what a POF lower will cost???

We will offer you choices.....POF rifle...POF lower, buy lower now upper later....etc. POF lower....DPMS upper, etc.

WE are the leader in BLACK RIFLES.....everyone else just follows along:D

POF rifles are some of finest AR 308 rifles, I've every latched onto but they are high end and come w/ all the tricks.

If you want a POF rifle buy it.....guarenteed, I'll have one, maybe two.:D

The way things are going......I'll have a couple spare lowers as well.......

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-23-2007, 3:36 PM
There will be no gap bwtn a DPMS upper and POF lower......zero.

You will need a sleeve for the front pivot pin to make a match.....the way you guys make things, those won't be hard to do.

Do you know what a POF lower will cost???

We will offer you choices.....POF rifle...POF lower, buy lower now upper later....etc. POF lower....DPMS upper, etc.

WE are the leader in BLACK RIFLES.....everyone else just follows along:D

POF rifles are some of finest AR 308 rifles, I've every latched onto but they are high end and come w/ all the tricks.

If you want a POF rifle buy it.....guarenteed, I'll have one, maybe two.:D

The way things are going......I'll have a couple spare lowers as well.......

Is this why the Fultons are going down in price? If that's the case, I'll wait to buy a POF because of the history of Fulton, just on principle alone.....

PIRATE14
02-23-2007, 4:03 PM
Is this why the Fultons are going down in price? If that's the case, I'll wait to buy a POF because of the history of Fulton, just on principle alone.....

No, we had dealers in CALI that had FULTONS on the shelf, so they had to be priced for them to make some $$$.

Since, they pretty much sold out, we than put up a new price on line.....

We can't force businesses to do things just for CALI.....

We can't force FFLs in CALI to do xfers for you guys.....

We can get stuff to you, that you normally don't have access to, that means doing business w/ guys that won't do business directly w/ you......go with the flow......

IF you guys want uppers for 5.56 and 7.62 sitting on the shelf when you decide to buy them........you're going to have to spend $$$.

IF you want to wait 16 weeks for a 308 upper at a discounted rate, we can also do that for you.......

We do it all.......:D

Pvt. Cowboy
02-23-2007, 4:21 PM
Well damn, that totals $2410 and with tax that's $2,608, BUT it turns out that a completed rifle is almost exactly the same amount. So it's back to saving my duckets.....

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here or sidetrack the original thread, but have you looked into how much M1A you can get for half of that figure you quoted?

You can even get a SAGE EBR chassis for it if you simply must have the "ATAS" look.

MotoGuy
02-23-2007, 4:22 PM
I've already emailed MagPul about the difference between the AR15 PRS and the AR10 PRS. It's only two parts which can be bought straight from their warehouse directly. So if you can score an AR15 PRS used somewhere you should be able to convert it.

What are the two parts? 308 buffer and 308 buffer spring?

PIRATE14
02-23-2007, 4:28 PM
What are the two parts? 308 buffer and 308 buffer spring?

PRS stocks don't come w/ tubes, buffers or springs...........gotta be something else....

PIRATE14
02-23-2007, 4:31 PM
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here or sidetrack the original thread, but have you looked into how much M1A you can get for half of that figure you quoted?

You can even get a SAGE EBR chassis for it if you simply must have the "ATAS" look.

You'd have to compare a M1A Super Match w/ a EBR stock.......what can you do for that $$$$$......