PDA

View Full Version : question on a 80% 1911 build.

Sal
02-18-2007, 4:23 AM
Ok guys, with the recent post of the DOJ letter saying it is legal to do a 80% legal 1911 build, i would like to ask a question here.

are pistol builds limited to 21 years old? handgun possesion isn't regulated to 21, only to 18, as you can receive them from family members etc. so are there any laws from the BATF, or anywhere saying pistol builds are age limited?

i have my HSC card and a few of my grandfathers intra familiared. pistols already, but i'd love to build a 1911.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Spikespigiel/dojletter.jpg

aileron
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry dont know the answer to those questions. But I imagine its the same ol' thing; if you can buy it at 18 then you can build it at 18 if its legal to do so. If you have to be 21 to buy a handgun then you will have to be 21 to build one.

Dont take my word for it though.

I have a question of my own though.

I thought the reason people built 80% recievers was because they didnt have to get a number for it and register it with the ATF because they were not manufacturing it. So isnt miss Merilees wrong about that part???

Sal
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
yes she is wrong about that one.

you have to be 21 to PURCHASE, but not OWN, building isn't purchasing, other than the parts to build one, which arent age restricted.

cornholio1
02-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I thought 80%'s were a no go because of the drop test

anotherone
02-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I thought 80%'s were a no go because of the drop test

I believe that because the 80% 1911 is not for sale and is only for personal use the drop test doesn't apply. Don't quote me on that though.

With AB2728 signed into law, 80% builds of AKs and AR-15s merely become more off-list rifles and are therefore lawful again.

Here's the interesting part though:

Due to single shot exemption from the list, it would be in theory lawful to build a single-shot AK-47 or AR-15 handgun from an 80% reciever and obtain a serial # for it. Once it is lawfully yours, registered, and serialed you could then convert it to a 10 shot fixed mag AR-15 handgun or AK-47 side loader. Am I correct in this logic?

Kruzr
02-18-2007, 1:40 PM
You can build one from 80% for your personal use. The Calif. tests (far more than just the drop tests) only apply to guns being manufactured for sale. As mentioned, if you build one, you own it for life here in Calif.

Also keep in mind that the law requries that YOU build it, not have work done by others. This pertains to the milling of the rails that is required on an 80% frame. Once you have the frame done, you can buy a premilled slide and fit it.

The hard part is getting a quality 80% frame in California.

stealthmode
02-18-2007, 2:33 PM
interesting I have been told by others that they were a no no.

Satex
02-19-2007, 5:35 AM
Very interesting info. Who are the leading 80% 1911 vendors?

triggerhappy
02-19-2007, 2:12 PM
Dunno if they're the LEADING one, but here's one:

http://tanneryshop.com/80-1911.htm

thomye
02-19-2007, 2:19 PM
Is it that much cheaper? or do people really like "do it yourself". since it is legal to buy a 1911, what's the point of making it?

Sorry for the lame questions, I'm hardware stupid so i know i don't want o build it especially cuz i can buy it.

triggerhappy
02-19-2007, 2:27 PM
Some folks like the no paperwork thing. Other probably just enjoy the challenge. Even 80 percent is a long way from a finished gun. They do offer the tooks to complete it, but practice with it first on a similar metal, so's you get it right when you get to the frame. Even Norm Abrams does a practice run before the cameras roll :)

superhondaz50
02-19-2007, 2:28 PM
I assume then building an AR pistol from an 80% is not limited to a single shot. You could also build it as a fixed mag top loader pistol correct? It would basically be a .223 C-96 broomhandle. Is it true that you have to apply for a serial number? I heard that you dont even need anumber on a home built gun, or you can make up your own serial. Also would you need to register your homebuilt pistol with CA?

leelaw
02-19-2007, 2:35 PM
You can build one from 80% for your personal use. The Calif. tests (far more than just the drop tests) only apply to guns being manufactured for sale. As mentioned, if you build one, you own it for life here in Calif.

Also keep in mind that the law requries that YOU build it, not have work done by others. This pertains to the milling of the rails that is required on an 80% frame. Once you have the frame done, you can buy a premilled slide and fit it.

The hard part is getting a quality 80% frame in California.

And how would one report the creation of this firearm? I presume it would still have to be registered with the state.