PDA

View Full Version : legality question

cartman
02-17-2007, 11:02 PM
now the doj web sight says that assault pistols are
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

does that mean a mac style pistol is legal now as long as its not listed on the doj's list of banned guns?

ivanimal
02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I have seen cobrays on the market once in a while. I just think they are poorly made. Thet are legal for FTF PPT. I will be corrected if I am wrong im sure.;)

cartman
02-17-2007, 11:28 PM
whats ftf ppt?

rssslvr
02-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Face to face private party transfer and yes there is the cobray PM-11 that does not have the threaded barrel that is legal to buy FTF PPT

HandCannon
02-18-2007, 9:45 AM
whats ftf ppt?

A face to face person to person transfer of a handgun makes the handgun exempt from the "safe handgun approved list" meaning you can transfer a handgun via that type of sale even if it isn't on the list. The Mac-type pistols are NOT on the list so you have to find someone in CA who already owns one to sell it to you; and you have to meet in person (unless it is a consignment sale) to do the transfer.

heycorey
02-18-2007, 1:17 PM
Can anyone give me a link to the specifics of ftf ppt's? I didn't know this is legal in California. Is that true of handguns only or does that also apply to long-guns? Sorry for the dumb questions ... I've just been operating under the impression that all gun sales had to go through an FFL.

Thanks - Corey

WallySparx
02-18-2007, 1:42 PM
Can anyone give me a link to the specifics of ftf ppt's? I didn't know this is legal in California. Is that true of handguns only or does that also apply to long-guns? Sorry for the dumb questions ... I've just been operating under the impression that all gun sales had to go through an FFL.

Thanks - Corey
yes, the ftf ppt has to take place through an ffl. basically, in order to transfer a pistol that's not on the list, and doesn't have any of the evil features, both the buyer and seller have to be present at the ffl in order to process the transaction, i.e. if you're in LA and the seller is in SF he can't just ship it to your receiving ffl.

lower lover
02-18-2007, 1:57 PM
I had the same question but an ar type pistol with a bullet button in it.

heycorey
02-18-2007, 2:23 PM
WallySparx, thanks for the clarification!