PDA

View Full Version : It's supposed to be a Colt A2 buttstock & buffer

cadjak
02-17-2007, 9:57 PM
I just bought an A2 buttstock assembly that the seller said was a take off from a new Colt rifle. THe buffer is a solid, black plastic piece. Is that what is being done now in Colts? He described it as "new style" Colt buffer.

nosewitdot
02-17-2007, 10:00 PM
well...if he included the word "style" then it isn't a colt.

Technical Ted
02-17-2007, 10:52 PM
THe buffer is a solid, black plastic piece. Is that what is being done now in Colts?
Does it look kinda sorta like a potato masher grenade, only smaller? The end have a taper and fluting along the last 1/4 or so?

If so, then yes. It is a Colt buffer. However it isn't the current style--which in fact is the old style. Part of the reasoning behind the switch back to the "standard" buffer is economics: why have two different part types that do the same thing when one--the metal one that's made in bulk quantities for the military--will suffice?

The plastic buffer was introduced in December 1999, according to Black Rifle II and was used in Colt's Match Rifle series. The plastic buffer is supposedly just as durable as the metal buffer for the job.

cadjak
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Your description is exactly how it looks. Thanks. Everything looks brand new, so I guess I got what I paid for.