PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Monolithic Rail Platforms?

Prc329
02-17-2007, 9:11 PM
I know Vltor and LMT makes them, but who else? I am thinking of using one for my next build and currently weighing options. I plan on using a LAR with a clear pinned mag.

blkA4alb
02-17-2007, 9:12 PM
To my knowledge those are the only two.

thmpr
02-17-2007, 9:21 PM
Leitner W.... is developing one as well... But it will be awhile.

twl
02-18-2007, 5:29 AM
The VLTOR is a two-piece design that is bonded together, and becomes "monolithic" after assembly, because it won't come apart after the high-strength bonding process.

In this way, the MGI Quick-Change-Barrel(QCB) upper is also "monolithic" because it is also bonded together using a high-strength bonding process that won't come apart after it is completed.

Technically, I would call the VLTOR and MGI types as "quasi-monolithic" because they are not all machined out of one piece, like the LMT is. However, these "built-up and bonded" types do exhibit the performance levels as "true monolithic", so it depends on if you are seeking performance levels, or marvels of machine work.
The VLTOR and MGI QCB are much less expensive than the LMT is, and provide great function at a more affordable price, because it is not as costly to produce as the LMT one-piece.

Essentially, the MGI QCB provides a quick-change-barrel that works like(better than) the LMT MRP, and has similar high quality build as the VLTOR(which has no quick barrel change), at a price that is in the middle between the VLTOR and LMT prices.

You could also make a case that the FN SCAR has a "monolithic" upper, but it is an extrusion, and not a forging or billet, and it is not tubular, but "U"-shaped. But, it is a one piece upper.

xenophobe
02-18-2007, 2:30 PM
Colt also has one, and it should be out with their gas piston system... well, whenever they decide they actually want to sell them.