PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with Cali legal AR info

Jedidiah
02-17-2007, 9:31 PM
Ok first of all, YES I'm a newb. Now that I've said that, I need some advice here. I've been searching the forums here and I'm a little confused. I would like to build a Cali legal AR. Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to do to get this done?

So far I'm guessing that the first step I need to take is to order an off list lower. What is the best source for this and am I going to have a hard time getting an FFL to accept this? I live in the central valley(modesto area).

Ok, now once I order an off list lower, where do I go from here? And how do I build this thing so I remain withini the confines of the law.

Yes, I know that all of the information is probably available here on the forums but there is so much info and I've been searching but it would really help me out if somebody gave some step by step instructions on what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for any and all info supplied.

Jedediah

P.S. One last question here. From what I've been reading it looks like legislation may be changing here. Do I have a limited amount of time to get this done??

Santa Cruz Armory
02-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok first of all, YES I'm a newb. Now that I've said that, I need some advice here. I've been searching the forums here and I'm a little confused. I would like to build a Cali legal AR. Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to do to get this done?

So far I'm guessing that the first step I need to take is to order an off list lower. What is the best source for this and am I going to have a hard time getting an FFL to accept this? I live in the central valley(modesto area).

Ok, now once I order an off list lower, where do I go from here? And how do I build this thing so I remain withini the confines of the law.

Yes, I know that all of the information is probably available here on the forums but there is so much info and I've been searching but it would really help me out if somebody gave some step by step instructions on what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for any and all info supplied.

Jedediah

P.S. One last question here. From what I've been reading it looks like legislation may be changing here. Do I have a limited amount of time to get this done??

TWO WEEKS!!

Read young Grasshoppa, read!

http://www.calguns.net/

http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf

fairfaxjim
02-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Before you build anything, it would be a good idea to read and understand the laws you are dealing with. Start at the DOJ website and read CA Penal Code (PC) sections 12276.1(a)(1) - (3). These are what is known as the SB23 "evil features" or catagory III Assault Weapon laws. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.php
Also read the CA Code of Regulations, Title 11, Chapter 5, Section 5469(a). http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/chapter39.pdf This contains some further definition of the terms used in 12275.1. Also read the OLL FAQ on the banner page of this website, along with the AR/AK Memo.
Basically you have two general choices in building an OLL - Non detachable (Fixed) magazine or Detachable magazine. If you choose the fixed magazine route, all you need to do is select the means that you will use to make the magazine fixed - there are several "kits" available to do that, including Sporting Conversions, Prince 50, etc. The newly released Prince50 bullet tip release is by the definition of the law a "non-detachable" magazine. Search around on here and read some of the discussions to better understand where that fits into the legalities. AND, you must limit the magazine to no more than 10 rounds capacity. If you choose the fixed magazine route, you can then have any of the "evil" features listed in 12276.1(a)(1)(a-f). The length of your rifle must be greater than 30" per 12276.1(a)(3) no matter how you choose to build it.
If you decide to go the "detachable" magazine route, you cannot have ANY of the "evil" features in 12276.1(a)(1(a-f), including pistol grip. There are several ways around the pistol grip at this time - the "spring retainer bracket" (SRB) that screws onto the receiver where the pistol grip goes to "retain" the selector "spring", hence it's name, the "Monster Man" grip (search for threads on here - a new version is soon to be released), and the U-15 stock just released.
If all this is confusing, just keep reading the discussions here, and you will very soon understand what you can and cannot do.

thmpr
02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Click the link below for STAG lowers....:D

Jedidiah
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm sorry but I'm clicking on the links you supplied but I'm not seeing where it says I only have two weeks to complete this. What is happening in two weeks??

PanzerAce
02-17-2007, 10:24 PM
two weeks is an inside joke, going back to the early days of the OLL craze, you may safely ignore it.

Jedidiah
02-17-2007, 10:34 PM
LOL I think I get it.

So, I've been reading that FAQ and let me see if I'm getting this straight.

I find an FFL that is willing to receive a lower, order an OLL and once he receives it and DROS it into my name I am set? I can take as long as I need to build the rest of it? Reason I am asking is, I am financially restricted at the moment. I can prolly swing the money for the lower since it appears they are only around the 100.00 area.

PanzerAce
02-17-2007, 10:38 PM
yup, that is basically how the process works. I personally waited almost a year b/w getting my lowers and actually ordering the parts.

EDIT: just checked, my 2 AR lowers were ordered 2/16/2006, started the DROS 2/24/2006, picked them up on 3/8/06. Fun times, back when lowers were regularly going for 200+, and we were ordering so many that people out of state could no longer find the ones that we were allowed to buy, we were taking so many in.

And I just ordered the parts last thursday, the 15th. So it was almost exactly one year b/w buying the lowers and the rest of the parts.

Jedidiah
02-17-2007, 10:40 PM
From looking at that lanworldinc website it looks like they are into helpin out us Cali guys so if I give them a call it looks like they will prolly help me out with info.

Another question here, anyone in the Turlock/Modesto area that knows of an FFL that will receive one for me?

PanzerAce
02-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, I dont know about turlock/modesto, but I am going to be talking to a dealer in Merced about getting them to actually stock receivers and maybe even complete SB-23 compliant guns.

Jedidiah
02-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Well, I have no problem with driving to Merced. If you don't mind, give me their info and I'll give them a call.

tcp
02-17-2007, 11:14 PM
when i got my oll from coldwarshooters, they told me who could receive my oll for me in my area. maybe your dealer will also know someone in your area. also look into how much the transfer and dros fees will be, about $50-100, i paid $60. after ordering your oll take a look at all of the pictures here and at AR15.com to get a feel of what you want yours to grow up to be.
once you know what parts you want and get, go here http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 for step by step picture instructions. good luck

gn3hz3ku1*
02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Click the link below for STAG lowers....:D
just this vendor posted first, and he has great reviews..

go call him or go to his site.

order a stag lower ( just oder a extra one or two while ur at it!), stag lower parts kit, stag stock ( A2 or tactical) and get a Stag 2h upper and you should be on your way...

you can order a muzzle Brake if u like to replace the flash hider which is not legal with detachable mag builds

Jedidiah
02-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Just out of curiousity, why should I order more than one lower? Is it possible that I will have problems with one of them or is this just so I can build more than one??

paradox
02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Just out of curiousity, why should I order more than one lower? Is it possible that I will have problems with one of them or is this just so I can build more than one??

Buying more than one lower at a time reduces the per-firearm tax given to the Man: DROS is charged per-transaction not per-firearm.

Jedidiah
02-18-2007, 10:55 AM
AH I C.

By the way, I know the stripped lower has to come through my FFL, but once I get that can I have the lower parts kit, stock, and complete upper shipped directly to my house?

rix
02-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Because like any other addiction ya jus can't have ONE !:D I also live in the Modesto area ,but my FFL is in San Jose...YEAH I know it's a drive but, jus another reason to buy more than ONE!:D

hoffmang
02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
The only thing you can't have shipped to your door is the serialized lower. Have everything else come to the door. This is partially why most folks say you should buy a couple of lowers. That way the FFL/effort part is behind you and then you can build 'em up as time and budget allows.

-Gene

Jedidiah
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah I see what you're saying. It looks like the only difficult part of the build is installing the lower parts kit into the lower right? the upper should just fit right on after that?

hoffmang
02-18-2007, 11:35 AM
You are correct. However, the lower isn't all that hard to put together - especially if you have a couple of tools or home made tools.

-Gene

Jedidiah
02-18-2007, 1:53 PM
Ok, last question I promise. I think I'd like to go with the fixed mag option so I can have a pistol grip. How are you guys reloading your weapons? Are you removing the pistol grip, then the mag and reloading or are you breaking apart the receiver and top loading?

PanzerAce
02-18-2007, 1:55 PM
The current method seems to be the bullet button release: Fire gun, then, using a tool, drop the magazine, insert new magazine (or reload current one and insert), begin firing.

Or you can go the older style method of fixed mag, and just rotate the upper out of the way to reload.

Just remember, for a non-removeable mag it has to be limited to 10 rounds.