PDA

View Full Version : Why is a pistol grip evil?

thomye
02-17-2007, 9:02 PM
I was thinking about this question. obviously, cuz some politician deamed it evil and it's part of SB23. But the more i thought of it, the less it made sence how this part made the list. Gernade launcher i can see. The retractible stock makes some tiny bit of sence if it allows one to conceal the rifle better, but a pistol grip?

wasn't the pistol grip put on the original Mseries cuz it helped handle the gun better in automatic fire. in a semi auto configuration, is it really that much more tactical that someone would considered it evil.

Now that i think about it, i think the retractible stock thing is idiotic too. if the rifle with its stock at its shortest point is greater than 30", then what's the issue? more and more, these laws seem stupider and stupider.

Sorry, i'm totally new to rifles (guns for that matter) and none of these things are making any sence using logic.

EricCartmann
02-17-2007, 9:28 PM
Because it is hard to define what is a "assault rifle."

Probably a bunch of Californians got together and looked for similarites between AR's, AK's, HK's, Galils, and FAL's. They proably saw all had the following:

- pistol grip
- flash suppressor
- detachable magazine that holds 20 rounds or more
- bayonet lug

So now all guns with these features are considered 'assualt rifles' and evil. A WASR, Cali-SA-58, M1A don't have these features so they are not considered evil, even thought they are just as capable as the "assault rifles"

I guess these same legislators probably think that if you take off your "crip" tattoo makes you no longer a "crip".. just like if you take off your pistol grip you no longer have an assault rifle. :p

JHC
02-17-2007, 9:30 PM
Come on guys, everyone knows that having a pistolgrip allows you to spray fire without having to ever reload.

jumbopanda
02-17-2007, 9:56 PM
They believe that it allows you to control the gun better when spraying randomly. :rolleyes:

Charliegone
02-17-2007, 9:56 PM
Come on guys, everyone knows that having a pistolgrip allows you to spray fire without having to ever reload.

Not only that, it makes you evil...so evil you can shoot from the hip and not even miss! I'm telling you pistol grips are Satan's work!!:p

CalNRA
02-17-2007, 9:59 PM

all that AND from the hip nevertheless. It makes anything more assaulting. WHy do you think they don't like pistol? after all that 's the root of all evil, the ownership of a pistol makes one go on rampages and shoot from the hip without reloading!!! Unless you work for the govenment of coruse, then it's a necessary tool to keep the people in check

Morales
02-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Its just another pain in the *** law invented by a bunch of old broads who have a fear of weapons. I would like to know whether the old German Bergmann sub machine gun was any less effective in full auto (no pistol grip, "mauser" type butt stock) than an MP5 (has a pistol grip). Both are illegal due to full auto, but if either one had a 10 round fixed mag and was rendered semi auto only, the Bergmann might be legal, though it is in the same class of weapon as the MP5. I'm sure eventually any weapon that has plastic on it will also be banned because scary black colored military weapons have plastic furniture.

jumbopanda
02-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Its just another pain in the *** law invented by a bunch of old broads who have a fear of weapons. I would like to know whether the old German Bergmann sub machine gun was any less effective in full auto (no pistol grip, "mauser" type butt stock) than an MP5 (has a pistol grip). Both are illegal due to full auto, but if either one had a 10 round fixed mag and was rendered semi auto only, the Bergmann might be legal, though it is in the same class of weapon as the MP5. I'm sure eventually any weapon that has plastic on it will also be banned because scary black colored military weapons have plastic furniture.

Nah, AK's usually have wood furniture, and they're probably considered to be the most evil guns of all.

jdberger
02-17-2007, 10:16 PM
ACCURATE spray fire without reloading..........

Wasn't there a movie (5th Element maybe) where no matter where the guy pointed the gun, all the rounds would impact on the target? Maybe Allison was watching that before here press conference...

http://bedno.com/photos/albums/20041028/v/5e-08-zorg-gun.jpg

I'm not even sure that thing has a pistol grip...

jumbopanda
02-17-2007, 10:21 PM
ACCURATE spray fire without reloading..........

Wasn't there a movie (5th Element maybe) where no matter where the guy pointed the gun, all the rounds would impact on the target? Maybe Allison was watching that before here press conference...

I'm not even sure that thing has a pistol grip...

She probably also saw Rambo and Commando. :p

shark92651
02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I was thinking about this question. obviously, cuz some politician deamed it evil and it's part of SB23. But the more i thought of it, the less it made sence how this part made the list. Gernade launcher i can see. The retractible stock makes some tiny bit of sence if it allows one to conceal the rifle better, but a pistol grip?

Because they wanted to ban all "military style guns" and one of the common denominators for a lot of them are pistol grips. You see, they think they are being more than fair by allowing us to have rifles for "hunting", and hunting rifles don't normally have pistol grips. Then again, the 2nd Amendment doesn't say squat about the right to "hunt".

fairfaxjim
02-17-2007, 10:43 PM
I would caution you not to overthink these laws. They are there to make it difficult or, better yet, impossible to own certain firearms. There is no logical or rational reason to them that can be articulated. If you try to apply logic, your brain will explode!

bwiese
02-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Yup, don't overthink or assume rationality in these laws.

The pistol grip was put in not because it was inherently evil, but because guns they didn't like had them as a 'feature'.

BTW, the legislators that 'wrote' these laws didn't write them. Their staffs did, and they probably have little idea of the content of any of their laws (let alone gun stuff). Unless the legislator is a 'wonk' in one specific policy area, he relies on overall political sentiment with detailed staff work to do bills. Politicians spend more time horsetrading at higher levels and on getting elected...

thomye
02-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Oh, like in hollywood. :)

so it's the pistol grip that allows them to do that. i always thought it was special effects.

Morales
02-18-2007, 4:13 AM
Commando.... I love that movie. I bet that movie is what the liberals base the gun laws on. Seriously, Arnold has homing heat seeking bullets in that one.... Damn. I never though of that. Rambo also. Rambo II actually. Both contain M60A2's (or is it A3's) fired from the hip, and completely accurate against guys who used open sights at less than 50 yards. Nice.

MadMex
02-18-2007, 6:32 AM
Its just another pain in the *** law invented by a bunch of old broads who have a fear of weapons.
The fear of pistol grips has deep Freudian psychosexual roots. The gripís phallic appearance combined with a hatred for men equals EVIL. In a society of metrosexual males itís another form of a MAN BAN!

trouble
02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Simple answer... because the evil AR15 and AK47 have them and kid-friendly 22s and hunter-friendly bolt-action rifles don't.

Ford8N
02-20-2007, 6:43 AM
This is why pistol grips are "evil":

"It's really their killing potential," Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for
the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining
why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed
randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload."

That's it, the whole legal basis why in the state of California, law abiding gun owners can't attach a $.99 piece of plastic to their guns. If you attach that little piece of plastic to your gun, it is a Felony. Yet, just across the border, you can. I'm suprised that no one has challenged this small part of the law in court.

AxonGap
02-20-2007, 7:00 AM
Hollywood BS!!

And the Sacramento politicians who eat it up!

luvtolean
02-20-2007, 7:37 AM
The pistol grip was put in not because it was inherently evil, but because guns they didn't like had them as a 'feature'.

I would say they aren't guns they "dislike", because this group dislikes all firearms owned by civilians.

I think the anti-gunners saw that military style rifle owners were a subclass within a class, especially when you see anti-Second stuff against black rifles written in gun mags, like TechnicalTed just posted (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49530).

They realized the public thought military rifles were scary, coined the scary sounding "assault rifle" term, and got busy crapping all over the second amendment.

There is plenty of logic in these laws, it's a group of legilsators, with the help of groups like Brady, out to take away any gun they think is politically feasible. They'd take them all if they could.

This is the "slow bleed" strategy that works gents...

shonc99
02-20-2007, 7:53 AM
They believe that it allows you to control the gun better when spraying randomly. :rolleyes:

Boy if that isn't a perfect definition of an oxymoron I don't know what is.

"controlled...random spraying"

A.M. I am certain you are regretting ever uttering these words. Perhaps we at CALGUNS could pool together and prepay to have them engraved on your political career's tombstone.:D

E Pluribus Unum
02-20-2007, 9:59 AM
They proably saw all had the following:

- pistol grip
- flash suppressor
- detachable magazine that holds 20 rounds or more
- bayonet lug

So now all guns with these features are considered 'assualt rifles' and evil.

It might be moot at this point but hicap magazines are not an evil feature; nor are bayonet lugs.

Ever cook frogs? If you boil the water and throw them in the pot, they jump out. If you put them in the water and slowly turn up the heat they cannot feel the temperature change and they cook slowly.

The average gun owner only uses it for hunting and is not a fanatic. Likewise the general public seems to be accepting of responsible gun ownership with "sensible" restrictions. Under this environment they create a term like "assault weapon". It sounds evil; interview the public and ask them "Do you think assault weapons should be legal" and most people will say "no".

Now that they have established that assualt weapons are evil and should be banned they start with a definition and then expand that definition slowly. Today an assault weapon is a firearm that is detachable mag, center fire with this and this feature. Tomorrow it will be any semi-auto firearm with a detachable mag; 10 years from now it will be any semi-auto firearm; 20 years from now it will be any firearm.

Ban guns outright and you will piss off a bunch of people and have a mini-war. If instead you convince people over a 50 year period that guns are bad and slowly chip away making each gun illegal a little at a time then the goal is accomplished slowly. The latest trend is genious; declare something an assault weapon and allow people to register and own them but then deny them the opportunity to leave it to their children. This puts a time limit on these rifles; its only a matter of time before you die and your rifle dies with you.

Diablo
02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
It might be moot at this point but hicap magazines are not an evil feature; nor are bayonet lugs.

Ever cook frogs? If you boil the water and throw them in the pot, they jump out. If you put them in the water and slowly turn up the heat they cannot feel the temperature change and they cook slowly.

The average gun owner only uses it for hunting and is not a fanatic. Likewise the general public seems to be accepting of responsible gun ownership with "sensible" restrictions. Under this environment they create a term like "assault weapon". It sounds evil; interview the public and ask them "Do you think assault weapons should be legal" and most people will say "no".

Now that they have established that assualt weapons are evil and should be banned they start with a definition and then expand that definition slowly. Today an assault weapon is a firearm that is detachable mag, center fire with this and this feature. Tomorrow it will be any semi-auto firearm with a detachable mag; 10 years from now it will be any semi-auto firearm; 20 years from now it will be any firearm.

Ban guns outright and you will piss off a bunch of people and have a mini-war. If instead you convince people over a 50 year period that guns are bad and slowly chip away making each gun illegal a little at a time then the goal is accomplished slowly. The latest trend is genious; declare something an assault weapon and allow people to register and own them but then deny them the opportunity to leave it to their children. This puts a time limit on these rifles; its only a matter of time before you die and your rifle dies with you.

Excellent point; and this is exactly what's happenning.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I always tell my students, "You can have a pistol gripped rifle and get out there at 100 yards and I will let you take the first shot while I use a non-pistol grip rifle and shoot it from the shoulder." I haven't had any takers.

Post 88
02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
If our country requests all the male and female high school students have to pass a target shooting exam to get diploma, I think it will be harder for those money grabers in Sac to pass any AW law in the future.

P.S. My sons can't bring any toy gun, even made by paper back to thier kindergarten. So, you know what kind of B.S. about gun those teacher swill brainwash to our kids today.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2007, 12:04 PM
So, you know what kind of B.S. about gun those teacher swill brainwash to our kids today.
If you read this sentence, you know they aren't teaching grammar in schools anymore. :p

xtalpimp
02-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes pistol grips are definetly evil! They instantly make any gun into an "AW" That is why you can buy non AW guns like the belt fed 1919 and the M1 Garand, the M1 carbine and the (M14) M1A which, depending on the rifle, served this country during WWII and the Korean conflict and the early part of Vietnam. These rifles are NOT "AW" because they obviously do not have a major piece of muy importante piece of equipment... Yup you guessed it a PISTOL GRIP!

Never mind that they were fielded by the US forces in wartime. ;)

As the above poster states correctly the antis have decided on a divide and slow conquer approach.

fal_762x51
02-20-2007, 12:16 PM
It boils down bad nomenclature and stupidity. I once had discussion with a woman on this matter, well somewhat. In a nutshell, an AK47 (lets say a Century Arms one) was an "assault weapon."

Me: This AK is not an assault weapon, I do not see the 3rd hole for the hammer retard, nor do I see an auto disconnector. So in essence, this is an auto-loading rifle, it does not fall into the military terms of an "assault weapon." Which would include the following: a rifle with the ability to fire an intermediate round automatically, continuously without releasing the trigger.

Woman: Öbut it looks like a military assault weapon.

Me: Would you care for me to explain it again?

Woman: It doesn't make sense.

Me: Ok, layman's terms. You are dressed like a person of loose moral values. Thatís right you look like a hooker. Now, just because you look like one, doesn't make you one now does it?

Woman: Uh...

That was at Rita's, a great Mexican restaurant. The lady deems that my conversation is not appropriate in public. I was talking to a good friend and shooting buddy about how Century Arms has a crappy reputation, and their AK came up and she went postal. My conversation, my table. Then I tried to explain. I ended up having to insult her in front of people. I try to be nice, but people just don't get it.

kfitchne
02-20-2007, 3:02 PM
Anyone ever pondered pistols? hmm... pistol grip & detachable mag. Why would this be ok on handguns and not rifles? Why are threaded barrels on rifles ok, but a no go on pistols.

Absolutely no uniformity.

rkt88edmo
02-20-2007, 3:25 PM
More thrusts per squeeze

kfitchne
02-20-2007, 3:29 PM
----