PDA

View Full Version : PCSing to Hawaii with 2 handguns..what needs to be done.

camron882
11-01-2011, 8:20 PM
so i recieved orders to Hawaii today and I want to know how to do a few things. i read i have to register the weapons with HPD within 72hrs of arriving but since i am military do i have to do this?? any help would be GREAT.

Travel with handguns:

What needs to happen once i get there:

wildhawker
11-01-2011, 8:23 PM
Contact these guys: http://www.hawaiidefensefoundation.org/about/contact-us/

camron882
11-01-2011, 8:47 PM
called him, good info, Hawaii requires a 72hr registration time fram upon arrival. WHEW that sucks

Quiet
11-02-2011, 5:29 AM
Also note...
That you can not legally import/make/transfer/possess large capacity (11+ round) magazines for pistols in HI.

Hawaii Revised Statue 134-8
(c) The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of use with a pistol is prohibited. This subsection shall not apply to magazines originally designed to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition which have been modified to accept no more than ten rounds and which are not capable of being readily restored to a capacity of more than ten rounds.

MP301
11-02-2011, 9:44 AM
called him, good info, Hawaii requires a 72hr registration time fram upon arrival. WHEW that sucks

And yes, you really need to look at what guns and magazines that are not allowed in Hawii.

You have to register within 72 hours, but they do not charge you anything and once those guns are registered, you dont have to do it again if you leave and come back. I know a few people that vacation there and always take the same gun they originally registered so they dont have to do it again.

Also, you are really restricted as to when you can have the gun with you outside of your domicile. Police station, gunsmith, range or gun dealer are about it IIRC. Cant throw it in your trunck and drive around with it, etc.

I sure do wish Funtimes all of the luck in the world with his fight in Hawaii to fix thier view of the 2A!

camron882
11-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks all!!

Gatordev
11-02-2011, 1:37 PM
I was stationed on Oahu once before and I thought I was going back this year before I found out I was coming here to CA, so I did a bunch of research on this. First up, the law says 72 hours. Yup. Wouldn't want to tell you to break the law. That said... No one really knows when your gun arrives. Just a friendly FYI. And no, your Bill of Lading doesn't get sent to HPD.

As for registering, take your box 'o guns down to the main HPD at their appointed times and register. Take change for the parking meters if you don't have someone to drop you off and go park.

Lastly, in my research, it appears that the law for magazines is very poorly written. Handgun mags must be 10 rounds or less, but rifle magazines can be more. The local stores sell 30 round AR mags right in front of LE (at least as of a year ago) and it's no big deal. As of the time of my research, the local government had acknowledged that rifle mags weren't the same as pistol mags as far as the rule goes.

Have fun. I miss HI and have been trying to go back for another tour. I never ran out of things to do there.

Maestro Pistolero
11-02-2011, 1:53 PM
I registered a couple of guns during an extended stay on the big island. When I arrived at the station during the hours they had indicated on their website, they said the woman who handled the registration wasn't there that day.

The problem was that was the last day before the 72 hours was up. Two officers looked up from their desks when I expressed concern about running afoul of the law and one smiled and said, don't worry about it, you're not going to have a problem.

When I returned the following week, they were courteous, pleasant and efficient, and the whole thing took a half hour.

Funtimes
11-02-2011, 2:37 PM
The whole thing is a sham lol. I know quite a few people who have not registered, and one who didn't register for like two years. I did speak to the OP the other night, pretty sure I answered most of his question.

Oh and the rifle magazines are still well in the air. The few legal people I have talked to read the statute to include most stuff. The whole argument that assault pistols are not pistols is one of the biggest loads of crap I have seen ;p.

camron882
11-02-2011, 6:50 PM
The whole thing is a sham lol. I know quite a few people who have not registered, and one who didn't register for like two years. I did speak to the OP the other night, pretty sure I answered most of his question.

Oh and the rifle magazines are still well in the air. The few legal people I have talked to read the statute to include most stuff. The whole argument that assault pistols are not pistols is one of the biggest loads of crap I have seen ;p.

so ive misplaced all my legal docs of purchase, obviously i will go get them before leaving CA, but do i need them to register or do they just take my info and the serial #'s?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Funtimes
11-03-2011, 1:37 AM
Just take your gun down there, with one phrase in mind: "Out of state transfer."

MP301
11-03-2011, 7:23 AM
Yeah, I have known of those that dont register thier guns within 72 hours in Hawaii, but murphy is alive and well and dont really see a reason not to do it. What if you have some sort of unforseen issue that ends up involving LE? It doesnt even cost anything to register.

camron882
11-03-2011, 8:12 AM
Yeah, I have known of those that dont register thier guns within 72 hours in Hawaii, but murphy is alive and well and dont really see a reason not to do it. What if you have some sort of unforseen issue that ends up involving LE? It doesnt even cost anything to register.

my thoughts are the same, i dont wanna have to protect my home or family and end up getting screwed if they arent registered.

camron882
11-03-2011, 8:17 AM

my thoughts are the same, i dont wanna have to protect my home or family and end up getting screwed if they arent registered.