PDA

View Full Version : Replacing flash hider with comp/break?

Ken Cochrane
02-17-2007, 8:00 PM
My OLL is fitted with a Stagg Arms upper. It is fitted with a flash hider. What's the deal with removing it and replacing it with a comp or break? I keep hearing that it has to be pinned. (I presume we ar talking a roll pin here) How dificult is this to do? Does it have to be done by a smith? or is it something a non-machineist can do. Thanks for your advice in advance. Ken

Technical Ted
02-17-2007, 8:04 PM
Thanks for your advice in advance. Ken My advice is to use the search function or dive into the Rifle forum for one of several threads on this same topic that have been posted in the last week or two.

You are welcome.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49243&highlight=flash+hider+removal
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45971&highlight=flash+hider+removal
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45519&highlight=flash+hider+removal

ETA: it's called a muzzle BRAKE, not "break".

Fjold
02-17-2007, 8:32 PM
ETA: it's called a muzzle BRAKE, not "break".

If he tries to unscrew a pinned brake, it could be a break! :D

thomye
02-17-2007, 8:57 PM
My OLL is fitted with a Stagg Arms upper. It is fitted with a flash hider. What's the deal with removing it and replacing it with a comp or break? I keep hearing that it has to be pinned. (I presume we ar talking a roll pin here) How dificult is this to do? Does it have to be done by a smith? or is it something a non-machineist can do. Thanks for your advice in advance. Ken

less muzzle flip I presume. I'm new here but my thought it, if you have a fixed mag, leave your flash supressor on unless you want less muzzle flip. Do they still call it a muzzle with rifles. like i said, i'm really new to rifles. At any rate, there seems to be two camps. First camp wants fixed mag so they can add all nice features except for nade launchers. The second camp is going detachable mags with no evil features, most common ones being:

pistol grip
retractable stock
flash supressor

blkA4alb
02-17-2007, 8:59 PM
less muzzle flip I presume. I'm new here but my thought it, if you have a fixed mag, leave your flash supressor on unless you want less muzzle flip. Do they still call it a muzzle with rifles. like i said, i'm really new to rifles. At any rate, there seems to be two camps. First camp wants fixed mag so they can add all nice features except for nade launchers. The second camp is going detachable mags with no evil features, most common ones being:

pistol grip
retractable stock
flash supressor
With a fixed magazine you can have a "grenade launcher." What makes you think you couldn't.

thomye
02-17-2007, 9:07 PM
With a fixed magazine you can have a "grenade launcher." What makes you think you couldn't.

aren't gernade launcher themselves illegal?

blkA4alb
02-17-2007, 9:11 PM
aren't gernade launcher themselves illegal?
If they are classified as DDs (40mm.) The 37mm flare launchers are legal which is what I meant.